Amping the 600 ohm Beyers.....
Jul 10, 2007 at 3:20 AM Post #46 of 62
That is odd because the question and answer were rather straight-forward. Though I did not push, and it would shock me if Ray were not to go on and say that something more expensive would drive them more effectively if pressed as to his choice of the best amp.

Norm (from GoVibe) on the other hand seemed fairly confident about the V6M w/ a gain of 4 and the Elpac being able to deliver with the 600 ohm cans. Again, i already purchased the Yarland, so all this is just a bit of fun and speculation. I am not relying on the portables if i go ahead with the Manufacture purchase.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread but no one commented. I wonder if the situation is changed by the fact that I have an EMU 0404 feeding the amp? The EMU puts out a pretty strong feed (adjustable through a main output knob) and taht may decrease my need for gain versus other set-ups. Or maybe it is irrelevant, I am really not sure.

Jul 10, 2007 at 3:28 AM Post #47 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by senns&nonsense /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is odd because the question and answer were rather straight-forward. Though I did not push, and it would shock me if Ray were not to go on and say that something more expensive would drive them more effectively if pressed as to his choice of the best amp.

Norm (from GoVibe) on the other hand seemed fairly confident about the V6M w/ a gain of 4 and the Elpac being able to deliver with the 600 ohm cans. Again, i already purchased the Yarland, so all this is just a bit of fun and speculation. I am not relying on the portables if i go ahead with the Manufacture purchase.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread but no one commented. I wonder if the situation is changed by the fact that I have an EMU 0404 feeding the amp? The EMU puts out a pretty strong feed (adjustable through a main output knob) and taht may decrease my need for gain versus other set-ups. Or maybe it is irrelevant, I am really not sure.

Maybe I can get him to comment here. I was sure mentioned gain had nothingto do with it because the Hornet gain couldbe increased but he felt that was not the answer and was not the solution to the high impedence.

I have tried the Hornet with the 600ohm Beyers I would not offer it as a recommendation for these Cans. I dont want mislead anyone as much as I love Rays products other choices would better.

Jul 11, 2007 at 12:43 PM Post #48 of 62
OK I spoke with Ray and he did confirm that it depends on the source while a normal ipod or iMOD might have a harder time the source output can vary enough that a Hornet can indeed drive the 600ohm Beyers. I assume if your using that high quality of a source then you probably can afford any amp you want! LOL!!! Hey if you can afford it a nice RSA amp collection should be on the top of your list anyway! I suggest one of each!
blink.gif

Oh come on you knew that was coming!

Jul 11, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #49 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am seriously thinking of a RAPTOR!

I spent a lot of time at the Ontario Meet listening to the Raptor with the DT880/600s. You will love that combination! The Raptor is also one sweet looking amp. I want one on my desk.

Jul 11, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #50 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I spoke with him today on this subject. He reminded me the Hornet was NOT made for 600ohm Cans. Yes it will drive them but well I think is an overstatment and this is coming from a big RSA FAN! A Full Battery is a must or the AC wall plug but even then it's pushing it.

Soo... does that mean a Supermini could power a 600ohm can or Darth as long as it's plugged in the wall??!?

Jul 11, 2007 at 7:33 PM Post #51 of 62
I DO know (and have previously posted) that Supermacro LE and Reference will certainly handle the dt880/600 well................you are asking too much IMO when it comes to dt990/600 - don't try it. You definitely need a full-sized amp for that one.
On the other hand, I would not suggest Supermini for them - you need more..........yes, I own both.

Jul 11, 2007 at 9:24 PM Post #53 of 62
Todd, thanks for your response to my questions a couple days back. I read some more about the HR-2 and really thought they might fit what I am looking for but are pushing my budget a bit. Currently, my source is a Pioneer DV-45A combo DVD-A/V and SACD player. Would this be holding back the HR-2 too much for it to be worth it? Any other amps that might work for less (see Post 41 for what sound I'm looking for)? I just posted a similar question over in the source forum but I'm really having a hard time debating between moving to using my computer as a source and buying a USB DAC or spending more on an amplifier. Would a DAC in the $300 range, maybe Musiland MD10, be a marked improvement over the DVD player in itself to be worth it? It would be difficult to spend more because I want to be able to expand my music collection more. Sorry for the excess of questions but I am finding myself in a dilemma. Thanks for the help!

Oh, btw, I was able to try the 250 ohm version in a store here but they didn't have any burn in. The signature seemed about right but they seemed somewhat stuffy and a touch harsh. I am assuming these will be helped significantly by a proper burn in. If so, I'm ready to give the Manufactures a try (blue and gold Notre Dame Head-Fi : ) ) but being 600 ohms need to make sure I have the system figured out too.

Jul 12, 2007 at 12:16 AM Post #54 of 62
If you like speed you will love the HR-2 as far as the source my reasoning (which has made me broke by the way) is not to under purchase because if youe decide to upgrade your source down the road you wont need to upgrade your amp also. I justify it as a potential savings in the future!!!

I am using an iMOD for a source right now with the HR-2 and it is amazing. I am actually debating to order a Raptor from Ray beacuse he says 600+ OHM cabs can benefit from the power of tubes but I also worry that it might be to warm also.

The cool thing about the HR-2 is the opamps are changable (can be rolled) and allows you to very inexpensivly change the sound sig to your liking. There are hundreds of choices but a few well known ones that you should be able to dial in your favorite.

The stock opamps sound fantastic though any many say they are the best for the amp but I thought why not not give it a try.

I recently got some Burr Brown 627BP for $25.00 for the pair but have not yet tried them. My understanding is that it will bring out even more high end but a little less bass. Being that I own pretty bassy cans this might be a good match. I will try it soon.

Dont be afraid to go a little higher end iot will just keep you from upgrading a bit earlier LOL!!!
cool.gif

Jul 12, 2007 at 5:08 PM Post #55 of 62
Sorry to ask a question a little off topic, but I've been curious for a while -

Is the difference between the 600 ohm and 250 ohm Beyers just resistors or is there something else? If the difference is just resistors, it seems to me the best thing to buy the 250 ohm and an adapter.

Closer to on topic -

I have 2 AKG 240 Sextetts that are 600 ohms and I have no problem driving them my portable amps - XM4 and OHA-REP. I'm listening with the XM4 right now and the volume is at my limit (around 80dB) and the volume knob is at 10 o'clock. I don't really know what clipping sounds like, so I don't know if it's there. I don't know enough about the physics to know if clipping can still exist, because if insufficient voltage, even though I'm listening at a low level. I will add that I'm really using my portable amps as desk top amps with 12V wall warts.

Jul 17, 2007 at 9:37 AM Post #56 of 62
Todd, thanks again for your response. I think a used HR-2 may be pretty appealing as far as price as compared to some of the other amps I've been looking at in the lower range.

scompton, from my understanding, the higher impedance has to do with an increase in windings which leads to more control.

Aug 18, 2007 at 8:42 PM Post #59 of 62
Anyone using H5 regularely with his/hers 880 600 ohm and does it work well, x-fi as source? I am planning to listening to them around 80-85 dB, where #' clock would this be roughly on H5 (x-fi max)?

Also, the difference between 600 and 250 ohm when bought new is around $100, and maybe even more if bought used. Will the 600 ohm really make a $100 difference to the 250 I heard?

Jan 11, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #60 of 62
Sorry for reviving the thread I just thought I would mention that I PM'd Skylab recently asking for a good portable amp for 600 DT770. He suggested that the corda stepdance actually works well. How would this compare to the hornet or SR-7?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back