Amping the 600 ohm Beyers.....
Jun 23, 2007 at 7:15 PM Post #31 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by senns&nonsense /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will be "naive", but also grateful, when I say thank you to Skylab for his commentary and reviews of the 880/990 with different ohms and I will display my possible desire to make unreasonable/felonious amping choices when I thank Trose for his description of his experience with the Hornet (though I guess he must have napped during the clipping....).

NO Clipping with newly charges Batts.

Sorry to disappoint ya!

Jun 23, 2007 at 7:17 PM Post #32 of 62
Really, thanks to most everyone as this has been incredibly helpful. Funny thing is, I will probably be getting the ASL Head as that seems like a pretty safe and high quality choice. I will give it some time and see if one turns up on the 4sales as I have not yet even placed my Beyer Manufacture order and have some time.

Jun 23, 2007 at 7:18 PM Post #33 of 62
If I go Honet I will be sure to stop listening and recharge after each cut! Thanks.

Jun 23, 2007 at 11:36 PM Post #34 of 62
Quote:

Really, thanks to most everyone as this has been incredibly helpful. Funny thing is, I will probably be getting the ASL Head as that seems like a pretty safe and high quality choice. I will give it some time and see if one turns up on the 4sales as I have not yet even placed my Beyer Manufacture order and have some time.

Yeah, the ASL amps are rather rare nowadays; I got mine off Canuck Audio Mart, and it was rather fortunate for me to find it there. Keep waiting, though, and I'm sure it'll pop up! The MkIII version is what you want... totally separate power supply, and twin headphones jacks.

Jun 24, 2007 at 7:49 PM Post #37 of 62
If all goes according to plan, 600ohm 880's will be ordered in approx 2hrs.
cool.gif

Jun 26, 2007 at 3:39 AM Post #38 of 62
So Woven, are they on the way? Can we get some screen caps of your custom choices????

Jun 26, 2007 at 3:57 AM Post #39 of 62
My Opera sounds terrific with the DT-880 600s but barely drives them to satisfying volumes via an iMod, even with the high-gain switch triggered. I'd have thought twice about going this route had I known that there would be this problem. It does seem to be a gain, rather than drive, issue however. My PCII has no trouble getting painfully loud levels out of the Beyers.

best,

o

Jun 28, 2007 at 7:11 PM Post #40 of 62
Just to close the loop on this thread.... I have a Yarland P100 on the way. I bought Skylab's from the 4sale boards and it should be here soon. Now the decision on the 600 ohm 880s is at least one step closer, though i am waiting for some other arrivals before i pull the trigger.

Somehow the new fast turnaround from Germany has me even more anxious to place that order.....

Jul 8, 2007 at 12:58 AM Post #41 of 62
Sorry for resurrecting a slightly old thread but has anyone tried the Bada PH-12 with the DT880/600? I couldn't fine anything on the search involving both but I liked what I read in a couple threads. I am looking to try the DT880s while I am doing a study abroad in London and will likely get the Manufactures if I do like their sound signature, which seems likely based on research on here. One reason the Bada's sounded good was that I don't want to lose all of the bright signature and on speed that might happen with a warm tube amp. Other suggestions that would fit that are more then welcome, thanks!

Jul 8, 2007 at 1:17 AM Post #42 of 62
Also, sorry about the second post, but something helpful might be that when auditioning speakers (for my dad, if I had the money and living conditions for them right now I would never have found my way here) I actually preferred a Denon receiver to a Yammy with already bright JM Labs Cobalts (loved their sound sig) not really because of the added brightness from the Denons, could actually do with less, but I just couldn't stand what I perceived as a loss of detail/muddiness form the more neutral to warm Yammy.

Jul 8, 2007 at 1:28 AM Post #43 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by HankTheTank /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, sorry about the second post, but something helpful might be that when auditioning speakers (for my dad, if I had the money and living conditions for them right now I would never have found my way here) I actually preferred a Denon receiver to a Yammy with already bright JM Labs Cobalts (loved their sound sig) not really because of the added brightness from the Denons, could actually do with less, but I just couldn't stand what I perceived as a loss of detail/muddiness form the more neutral to warm Yammy.

I'm using a RSA HR-2. sounds great I recently bought a set of opamps to roll 627bp but have not tried them yet.

I guess another question is what type of specification should someone look for to power the 600ohm beyers?

Jul 10, 2007 at 1:25 AM Post #44 of 62
A little more info on the possibilities available with the big Beyers.....

Yes, I bought the Yarland which will definitely do the job.

But... I also e-mailed Ray Samuels who assured me that the Hornet will get it done. And I e-mailed Norm about a V6M. He was INCREDIBLY NICE and very responsive and offered to customize the gain for the Beyers after I sent him the specs of what the V6M would be fed. He suggested a gain of 4 and I ordered a V6M w/ Elpac. So....

There are portables that will drive these Beyers. Yes, both of these guys have an interest in selling me an amp, but their reputations around here suggest that if they thought it unwise they would say so. Norm especially seemed like a nice guy who was just trying ot figure out what was best for me. And Ray could have just said that I needed an RS-7 (or whatever).

I will report back here (or some new thread) when I have some ears-on experience with all this. I still haven't pulled the trigger on the bigBeyers as i have (another) K701 that I want to try out with the Yarland and I am considering a pair of recabled 880s that may make more sonic sense than Manufactures even though they won't be nearly so pretty as what i have "sketched" out on that site.....

Jul 10, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #45 of 62
Quote:

A little more info on the possibilities available with the big Beyers.....

Yes, I bought the Yarland which will definitely do the job.

But... I also e-mailed Ray Samuels who assured me that the Hornet will get it done. And I e-mailed Norm about a V6M. He was INCREDIBLY NICE and very responsive and offered to customize the gain for the Beyers after I sent him the specs of what the V6M would be fed. He suggested a gain of 4 and I ordered a V6M w/ Elpac. So....

There are portables that will drive these Beyers. Yes, both of these guys have an interest in selling me an amp, but their reputations around here suggest that if they thought it unwise they would say so. Norm especially seemed like a nice guy who was just trying ot figure out what was best for me. And Ray could have just said that I needed an RS-7 (or whatever).

I will report back here (or some new thread) when I have some ears-on experience with all this. I still haven't pulled the trigger on the bigBeyers as i have (another) K701 that I want to try out with the Yarland and I am considering a pair of recabled 880s that may make more sonic sense than Manufactures even though they won't be nearly so pretty as what i have "sketched" out on that site.....

Im not sure Ray understood your question? I spoke with him today on this subject. He reminded me the Hornet was NOT made for 600ohm Cans. Yes it will drive them but well I think is an overstatment and this is coming from a big RSA FAN! A Full Battery is a must or the AC wall plug but even then it's pushing it.

Ray told me Cans like that begged to be tube driven. My HR-2 which of course is not a tube amp does a great job with the 600ohms with great sound level and performance around 12:00 and I listen loud.

I am seriously thinking of a RAPTOR!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back