Amping Beyerdynamic DT 990 250ohm whilst maintaining Dolby Headphone from soundcard?
Jan 14, 2013 at 5:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

SQUIDDO

New Head-Fier
Hello!

I currently own a pair of Astro A30s which I use with an Asus XONAR DG soundcard for games, movies and music. I've decided at last to upgrade my headphones to at least a newby-audiophile standard, and think that the Beyer DT 990s would serve me well.

I'll probably be getting the 250-ohm PRO model if I go through with it, but I think the Xonar DG only supports up to 150-ohm impedences. What's a good desktop amp I can get in order to help power the 990s? Is there some way that I can also plug the amp into my soundcard so I can keep the Dolby Headphone and EQ functions that the card provides?

I'm looking to get as much bang for my buck as possible, and don't need anything too flashy. I'd also like for the amp to have a volume knob if possible.

Furthermore, would you recommend the DT990s for gaming? MadLustEnvy's guide says that their positional audio is pretty good, but some people have disagreed...

Thanks for your time!

Jan 14, 2013 at 5:58 AM Post #2 of 11
Oh! And I was also wondering how the Creative Aurvana Live! headphones compare to the DT 990s, as they're also recommended by MadLustEnvy's gaming guide yet don't seem like they'd require the extra amping, plus they're half the price.

Thanks again!

Jan 14, 2013 at 6:22 AM Post #3 of 11
You should maintain dolby digital, even with line-out. As long as you don't use the soundcard with a dac

Jan 14, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #4 of 11
Thanks for the response!

Do you know of any amps in particular that will fit my need? I've found some great deals on the DT 990s themselves, so now the amp is all I've got left to worry about!

Jan 14, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #5 of 11
Maybe the magni. Or fiio e10 alternatively. You could also get the Objective 2 amp. They are all somewhat cheap

Jan 14, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:
Thanks for the response!

Do you know of any amps in particular that will fit my need? I've found some great deals on the DT 990s themselves, so now the amp is all I've got left to worry about!

Technically the Xonar DG will drive DT990 250-Ohm headphones, but the volume setting on the DG would be about maxed out.

The PAV2V headphone amplifier sells for around $70
Fiio E9 sells for around $85
Schiit Magni. $99

Jan 15, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #7 of 11
The Fiio E10 looks like what I'm after, just a simple device with a volume knob and headphone port... but won't it bypass my soundcard? I want to use an amp without losing the EQ and Dolby Headphone options from my soundcard.

Jan 15, 2013 at 2:21 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:
The Fiio E10 looks like what I'm after, just a simple device with a volume knob and headphone port... but won't it bypass my soundcard? I want to use an amp without losing the EQ and Dolby Headphone options from my soundcard.

Not sure, but I don't think it will bypass the sound card. Anyways, thinking about it you should not get the e10. It has a built in DAC, which you won't be able to use with the features like dolby digital and etc. Your better of with the magni, im also convinced it is a better amp. Alternatively a portable amp, but there's no reason to get one with a DAC.

Jan 15, 2013 at 6:17 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
The Fiio E10 looks like what I'm after, just a simple device with a volume knob and headphone port... but won't it bypass my sound card? I want to use an amp without losing the EQ and Dolby Headphone options from my soundcard.

USB will bypass the sound card.

Jan 15, 2013 at 6:56 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Perhaps you could try using the Xonar DG alone at first, your volume preferences may be different from PurpleAngel's and you might not need to use maximum volume after all. "Maximum impedance ratings" are really only a recommendation, and exceeding them does not cause any problems technically if you can get enough volume and clean sound with no distortion.
The FiiO E10 would indeed bypass your sound card, it has only a USB input. It probably cannot output that much more voltage than the Xonar DG, either. if you really need a lot of power, and portability is not required, either the E9 or the Magni would work fine.

Jan 15, 2013 at 7:02 AM Post #11 of 11
Thanks for all your help.

I haven't been able to find a vendor for the Schiit Magni, even though that seems like what I'm after. I guess if the Xonar DG doesn't work, I'll just grab an E09k for ~$130.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back