Amp8-EX Fan-Edition Preorder by Ibasso
Jan 1, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #452 of 704
Challenge your DX220 and Amp8EX combo on this track for Bass ride and fidelity joyment :wink:

If you want to solve the bug of the persistent icon in the upper left corner, you only need to change theme on Mango OS (for example choose the default orange theme) and put again the dark theme.

Jan 1, 2020 at 8:23 PM Post #453 of 704
Challenge your DX220 and Amp8EX combo on this track for Bass ride and fidelity joyment :wink:

20200102_080626.jpg
oooo... NICE point out...

the following is my least favorite track, but with AMP8EX-FE, it becomes so much enjoyable...
20200102_082049.jpg

Jan 2, 2020 at 3:05 AM Post #456 of 704
Seems I won't be getting my hands on my unit till March (was supposed to be delivered to a friend in Germany snd he was supposed to carry it back to India but it arrived a day after he left). Quenching my excitement with impressions on this thread . Please keep 'em coming. :)

Jan 2, 2020 at 5:45 AM Post #457 of 704
So apparently me and @somnarium has the same volume knob problem after using the AMP8EX

@somnarium did you have the problem straight away after using the AMP8EX?

Yep, but may be a coincidence. Someone else had the same issue on a different amp and suggested checking the battery isn't wedged against the side.

When I work out how to open the unit I will check and report back.

Jan 2, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #458 of 704
Update: I have opened the unit, thanks to @Paul - iBasso and @ExpatinJapan for the instructions. Even a very unhandy person such as myself could complete easily.

I could see nothing putting pressure on the volume wheel. Even with back slightly pulled away and battery connected, so no chance of pressure, the volume kept increasing regardless of direction.

I am following up with Paul to see if I can try anything else.

Certainly hopeful not related to this amp as it truly sounds awesome after only a few hours. Very excited to hear it evolve over more use.

I am assuming most folks who have theirs are happily changing volume without issues!

Even thoughI have hit this issue rest assured I think iBasso are a great company and deserve much success.

I have added some photos of the internals as FYI

20200103_091720.jpg 20200103_092126.jpg

Jan 3, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #462 of 704
Yes. Take your fingernail and gently lift up that tiny black section. It will release the ribbon cable and you can easily pull it out.
Once you reinsert the cable and make sure it's seated properly press the black tab back down to lock it in place.

I'm the one Vince recalled that had a similar issue, but for me, the ribbon cable was accidentally damaged due to the repeated strain I put on it during modding. You wouldn't have had that issue.

Please don't raise your expectations though as this may not clear up your issue, but it's worth a shot since you have everything opened up.

Jan 3, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #463 of 704
Yes. Take your fingernail and gently lift up that tiny black section. It will release the ribbon cable and you can easily pull it out.
Once you reinsert the cable and make sure it's seated properly press the black tab back down to lock it in place.

I'm the one Vince recalled that had a similar issue, but for me, the ribbon cable was accidentally damaged due to the repeated strain I put on it during modding. You wouldn't have had that issue.

Please don't raise your expectations though as this may not clear up your issue, but it's worth a shot since you have everything opened up.

‘OMg, you are right! LOL....no wonder I was like...I think I have seen this before

Jan 3, 2020 at 7:47 PM Post #464 of 704
Thanks for all the help and PM discussion with @Whitigir

Just to update, have tried removing and reseating the ribbon cable to no avail. I have also used Android tool to fully reset. Problem remains, even in Mango software I cannot change volume down via screen (Android slider I can adjust both ways).

I will no doubt need to return the unit for repair so am following up with Paul.

Enjoy the amp folks, until my little wrinkle it was sounding pretty damn fine. I am looking forward to rejoining the ranks when my DX220 is back in action!

:)

Jan 3, 2020 at 10:11 PM Post #465 of 704
Hi All,

A good start to 2020 and hope it has been great so far for everyone :slight_smile:

AMP8-EX was delivered on 27 Dec 19 but was only available to install today.

Do pardon my impressions as I may not be too well versed with audio terms.

Initial impressions (w/o burn-in, plug & play with DX200)
*In comparison with AMP4S:
1. Bigger and more spacious soundstage
2. Ability for intimate vocals
3. Good separation of instruments and vocals
4. Bass quality feels more accurate
5. More reference tuning which is more to my preference

A big thanks to @Whitigir and @Paul - iBasso for making this product!!

Now back to more listening :)

Thanks and cheers,
Arcmagi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back