Amp recommendations for Fostex TH900?
Sep 9, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #61 of 391

hey man im looking into getting the trilogy 933 for my th-900's aswell. this is kind of a newbie question, but do i need an expensive dac with the amp? I have a portable DAP (iBasso DX100) and I know I can use it as a DAC too. Would an expensive DAC be alot better paired with this amp tho? or is that not the way works? thanks in advance for replying :)

I have tested The TH900 with the Trilogy 933 and a Raysonic CD228  - a Naim HDX/ XPS2 supply /w NAS and it always sounds fantastic. (I also use an Astell & Kern player with Rx MK3 amp for portable playing)

Sure, with 24 bit audio files there can be a little more dynamic range, but I have been exceptionally pleased with 16 bit audio files and CD's.

I have no hesitation in saying that from what I have heard, the Trilogy 933 is a perfect pairing for the TH900's. The bass is very powerful, yet perfectly balanced in the mix and so tight/focused. It is a very musical combination that sounds equally good with rock/metal and classical/acoustic/vocals. So many amps sound good with the TH900's as they are easy enough to drive (even with a 25ohm impedance) due to the ultra high sensivity (100dba), but the Trilogy 933 just pushes them into the same category as the Sony R10's IMO.

The only downside with the Trilogy 933 is the high cost (significantly more than the headphones), but in this case I do genuinely feel you get what you pay for.

Sep 9, 2013 at 8:44 AM Post #62 of 391

I have tested The TH900 with the Trilogy 933 and a Raysonic CD228  - a Naim HDX/ XPS2 supply /w NAS and it always sounds fantastic. (I also use an Astell & Kern player with Rx MK3 amp for portable playing)

Sure, with 24 bit audio files there can be a little more dynamic range, but I have been exceptionally pleased with 16 bit audio files and CD's.

I have no hesitation in saying that from what I have heard, the Trilogy 933 is a perfect pairing for the TH900's. The bass is very powerful, yet perfectly balanced in the mix and so tight/focused. It is a very musical combination that sounds equally good with rock/metal and classical/acoustic/vocals. So many amps sound good with the TH900's as they are easy enough to drive (even with a 25ohm impedance) due to the ultra high sensivity (100dba), but the Trilogy 933 just pushes them into the same category as the Sony R10's IMO.

The only downside with the Trilogy 933 is the high cost (significantly more than the headphones), but in this case I do genuinely feel you get what you pay for.

thanks for the reply ! so you think using my dx100 as a dac with this amp until i actually upgrade to something else will do just fine? if so i guess ill pull the trigger on this one

Nov 16, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #64 of 391
I just got my pair of 900's. I am using the fi.Q, Black Gate, NOS 1 and 2 watt tantalum resistor and other modifications, version. It does an excellent job as the sound is very transparent with an open airy soundfield. With the fi.Q in it latest version going for a little over 2000, not a inexpensive amp, but with the ability to change out op amps and go between buffers of the 634 or HA5002 and 3 or 4 channel, the possibilities are extreme. 

The 900 so far reminds me of an open headphone but as I needed, some isolation. I really wish, for my type of moving around, that the cups were of a tougher finish. Good for stationary here in the bush of Alaska right now. lol

Nov 17, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #67 of 391
I really don't want to cut into the cable of the 900 but everything I have is balanced and I make an adapter of the same cable on the phone to go to single ended if that is needed. I find balanced improves all phones to different degrees. The HD650's are intolerable to me unless balanced and other phones are fine but with some incremental improvements in sound. 

Such a pretty plug on the TH900. :^) edit, I can't believe it, the plug on the 900 is magnetic. I have cheap 3.5 plugs that are not. I am amazed that they used a magnetic plug on this headphone. 

Nov 23, 2013 at 12:41 AM Post #68 of 391
It is amazing how open the TH-900s sound...it does resemble an open headphone.  I'm coming to think that having somewhat recessed mids - like the TH900s do - is required in order to make a headphone have a great sound stage/sound open.  I've never heard (correct me if you have) a headphone with great mids that have an open soundstage (exhibits: Grado RS1; LCD-2 and 3; HD650; Audio Technicas).  Finding a large soundstage and great midrange may be an exercise in futility after all, but I may be generalizing.  Any comments from our experienced and informed audience?

Jan 15, 2014 at 7:10 AM Post #69 of 391
here is my personal List of the High-end AMPS  that pair well with the TH-900:
Here are Some very High-End AMPS that I know to pair very well with the TH-900 : 
  1. Bakoon HPA-21,  
  2. EAR HP4,  
  3. ED Zana Deux, 
  4. ED Balancing Act, 

and… my beloved Analog Square paper TU-05 portable tube Amp :)  Incredible synergy with my TH-900 (rewired balanced)!

-->  Do you have other recommendations  to add to the list please ?

And… also a list of those which do not pair well with the TH-900 :

At least I know those 2 that I have myself:  
  1. The Centrance HiFi-M8 Lx (for some obscure reasons I really don't like the combo Hifi-M8 + TH-900 ??)  
  2. The  RWA Bellina (too much gain= HISS. Especialy from the Balanced output)
  3. + ( I don't have it but) I heard that the RAy Samuel Emmeline Dark Star is Too powerful for the TH-900 = HISS.  It's been designed for "hard to drive" headphone.

Jan 15, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #70 of 391

Similarly, I'm using the TH900s with the Burson Conductor and it sounds sublime. Very rich and impactful. 

My only slight complaint is that the stepped volume control is a little too sensitive with the 25 Ohm TH900s, sometimes I want a volume level in between 2 notches. Not a huge big deal though I would not want to run any head/ear phones that are any more sensitive on the Conductor. 

+1 on the pairing!

Jan 28, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #71 of 391
the hp a8 is sweet pairing as I can tell, almost infinite setting control between amp gain and volume step.

Jan 28, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #72 of 391
Has anyone tried the TH-900 with the Eddie Current 2A3? Especially if you're familiar with the Zana Deux (SE). Any comments on the difference between the two EC amps with the TH-900 headphone?

Feb 1, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #73 of 391
Craig (from EC) and purrin say this is the amp to get for the TH-900. I just don't think there a ton of these out there. I'm very tempted. He's making a batch next week.

Feb 1, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #74 of 391
Craig (from EC) and purrin say this is the amp to get for the TH-900. I just don't think there a ton of these out there. I'm very tempted. He's making a batch next week.

Do you mean the 2A3 ?  and who does it sound different from the ZAna Deux ?

Feb 1, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #75 of 391
Yeah I meant the 2A3. It should still have some tubey euphonics. The ZDSE is very tubey / distorted. I thought the ECBA was moving towards dry. The BA sounded pretty good but not as nice as the HPA-21. I was hoping for something great not pretty good.

Tubey: ZD > 2A3 > BA > 445 : dry ss sound

Users who are viewing this thread

Back