Amp recommendations for Fostex TH900?
Jan 19, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #31 of 391
I am wondering if the V200 would have good synergy. I am very interested in the TH900's, but don't want to buy another amp.

Jan 19, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #32 of 391
Quote:
I am wondering if the V200 would have good synergy. I am very interested in the TH900's, but don't want to buy another amp.

I've listened to it only once, but the TH900 sounded very good out of the V200. Great value at its price.

Jan 19, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #33 of 391
Nice, looks like a promising combo from what you and a couple of others from the other TH900 thread have said...and I agree, the V200 is a good value. It sounds great with everything I've thrown at it.

Jan 20, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #34 of 391
Who is using solid state amps for the TH900? I'm trying to figure out a decent set up for my Denon D7000 and the TH900. I only want solid state set ups for now on. Going to be using my 2012 Macbook Air as a transport. For the time being, I will be using my Yulong D100 which has worked wonderfully for my denons for the past 2 years. I will like to eventually upgrade with the best asynch dac and solid state amp that is within budget. Probably will be using whatever tax return I get back to build this set up.

Jan 20, 2013 at 8:09 AM Post #35 of 391
I picked up a copy of HiFi+ yesterday, and they did a review on the Trilogy 933. I jumped on Head-Fi when I got home to see what others has said about it on this forum. After a few searches, I came up empty. I am reluctant to start a new thread, so I wanted to see if others in this thread have used, heard this amp. 

http://www.trilogyaudio.com/933%20Amplifier%20for%20Headphones.html

http://www.analogueseduction.net/content/933%20Review_HIFIPlus_94_%20LR-1.pdf

This same mag had a review of the Eximus DP-1, which they compared it to the 933 - in the opinion of the writer, the 933 bested it in just about every way. Made me curious.....

Jan 20, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #36 of 391
Quote:
I picked up a copy of HiFi+ yesterday, and they did a review on the Trilogy 933. I jumped on Head-Fi when I got home to see what others has said about it on this forum. After a few searches, I came up empty. I am reluctant to start a new thread, so I wanted to see if others in this thread have used, heard this amp. 

http://www.trilogyaudio.com/933%20Amplifier%20for%20Headphones.html

http://www.analogueseduction.net/content/933%20Review_HIFIPlus_94_%20LR-1.pdf

This same mag had a review of the Eximus DP-1, which they compared it to the 933 - in the opinion of the writer, the 933 bested it in just about every way. Made me curious.....

Interesting. It seems that the 933 is a dedicated headphone amp, unlike the DP1 which is DAC/headphone amp/preamp in one chassis. I personally think that the DP1's DAC section is very good for its price, but the headphone amp section is so-so at best. Comparing purely the headphone section only, the 933 should be superior given that the two products are at similar price point.

Jan 20, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #37 of 391
.......just makes me curious when I read some of these reviews and the information on their sites detailing the engineering design philosophy......is this just another decent solid state amp (that really isn't that sexy to look at), or is it the epitome of clean, detailed power based on the design.

I have made up my mind on the direction I want to go based on your feedback, just curious if anyone had any experience with this British amp.

Feb 1, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #40 of 391
Anyone try the Benchmark Dac2 HGC or Fostex HP-A8C? Or are there better options under $2k?

Feb 2, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #41 of 391
Quote:
Anyone try the Benchmark Dac2 HGC or Fostex HP-A8C? Or are there better options under $2k?

Had a short listen with the HP-A8C, from what I heard it was a very nice pairing.

Feb 16, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #42 of 391
Have tried the grace 902, Burson Soloist, Decware Taboo, Headroom Ultra, and EF-6 amps with the TH900....The EF6 slays them all. The Burson takes second place. the th900 sounds just gorgeous and smooth as butter with the EF6, but also slams mightily. It is good to have power to spare.

Mar 17, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #43 of 391
Quote:
While the output impedance of WA6SE is measured 30 ohms in low gain output (which is pretty high, considering TH900's impedance is only 25-30 ohms), the Fosgate Signature Headphone Amplifier's output impedance is only 4.7 ohms. That should provide a better damping factor than the WA6SE.

So given if this is true, how would the improve damping factor improve on the sonic qualities of the th900's?

Mar 29, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #44 of 391
Quote:
Have tried the grace 902, Burson Soloist, Decware Taboo, Headroom Ultra, and EF-6 amps with the TH900....The EF6 slays them all. The Burson takes second place. the th900 sounds just gorgeous and smooth as butter with the EF6, but also slams mightily. It is good to have power to spare.

You need to post a follow up with the new amp you received (Darkstar) and the HE-6's. :) Also, how does it play with the TH900s? Have you tried the Darkstar + TH900 combo yet?

Mar 31, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #45 of 391
Quote:

You need to post a follow up with the new amp you received (Darkstar) and the HE-6's. :) Also, how does it play with the TH900s? Have you tried the Darkstar + TH900 combo yet?

I've been spending a lot of time listening to my music gear (especially the Darkstar and Decware CSP-2/Taboo amps) lately, so I've been kind of away from the forums.  Now, here's the deal:  The Fostex th900 sounds kind of odd - and with some background hiss - out of the Darkstar.  Definitely not a match made in heaven.  The music feels kind of disjointed and claustrophobic...It feels like a gecko (the th-900) trying to wrestle with Godzilla.  This is one in which too much raw power leads to nowhere.  Conversely, as I've remarked before, the Hifiman EF-6 amp - a rather powerful amp as well, but not as powerful as the Darkstar - with the th-900s is (to my ears) a match made in heaven, although I have it connected to my Headroom Ultra (non-balanced) headphone amp, which is serving as its pre-amp, in order to have better control of the volume since the volume knob of the EF-6 is a monstrous stepped-attenuator type that offers very little control over the volume (note: by the way, the th-900 driven by the Headroom amp sounds amazing as well).  It must be noted that there is still a very slight residual hiss with the EF-6 (not surprising given the high sensitivity of the Fostex headphones), but once the music starts playing...behold, the promised land.  By the way, the Darkstar is an amazing amp primarily with three headphones: (1) Hifiman HE-6; (2) Sennheiser HD800; and (3) Beyer T1.  With the Darkstar the Hifiman HE-6  is just amazing...all the power you need for these erstwhile problematic pig-to-drive cans.  I don't care what the specs say about the Darkstar (there has been much controversy about the specs in other forums), the amp is pure power wearing a silk glove.  I listen primarily to classical music, so I was afraid that the darkstar would be too dark for the HE-6 and HD-800s, so I upgraded the cables in these two cans with balanced moon audio silver dragon cables to try and get that extra treble extension that classical music really needs to thrive.  When it comes to the HE-6 the search is definitely over...I don't need to upgrade anything else...I'm playing for keeps with this pair (i.e., i don't need to buy an old receiver or anything else to drive them).  What I get is wonderful bass, extended highs, sublime mid range (i.e., great with solos and choruses), expanded soundstage, grain-free sound, black-as-night background, great transient speed, not distortion whatsoever...everyting is integrated, balanced...just wonderful.  Two of my non-classical test pieces are the "You can call me Al" and "Girl with Diamonds in the Sole of her Shoes" tracks from Paul Simon's Graceland album.  I use these tracks because of the great bass and drums utilized and the just wonderful engineering of the recording.  The sound of the HE-6/Darkstar combo has to be heard to be believed.  Wow...this are not just classical music cans, they are all rounders.  I must clarify that while the HD800 sounds just dandy with the Darkstar, I like their sound just a tad better when driven by the CSP-2 Decware amp.  I've come to realize that in order to get that little extra 5% out of the HD800 you need a tube amp (i.e., now I understand what people are referring to by "tube magic"; i'm sorry, but I've never felt such magic coming out of a solid state headamp).  With the CSP-2 I am using three Mullard 6922 tubes and a Phylips 5R4GYS Rectifier, both of which I purchased from Upscale Audio.  Now, this combination is the best I've heard anywhere (including the Darkstar/HE-6 combo) and is my new reference setup when it comes to classical music.  The music coming out of this combo (mind you, using the moon silver dragon cable for the HD800, which may seem counter-intuitive given that the Senn Treble has been problematic for some) is ethereal.  When listening to Bach's Mass in B minor (i.e., the Suzuki BIS recording in SACD; my source is the Oppo 95 universal player) you feel like you are in a huge very wide cathedral with lots of air around every intrument and the solo voices.  The sense of distance between the listener and the orchestra/chorus extends sideways, up, down, and back (i.e., great depth).  This is pristine, utterly realistic sound at its best.  There is like a heavenly halo surrounding the sound that is really hard to describe...the sound of Angels is the best way to describe this.   I have to admit that on a couple of occasions I've been so moved by the sounds comming out of the Senns that tears have flowed from my eyes...this comming from someone who has been accused by some of being somewhat aloof, distant, and unemotional (i.e., by the way, I am an atheist, so having tears come out of my ears listening to Bach's Catholic mass is really odd for me!).  While the Darkstar/HE-6 combo is not far behind, it is the huge soundstage, warmth, and airy nature of the CSP-2/HD800 Combo that has made it the best system I have heard or expect to hear probably for the rest of my life when it comes to Classical.  It must be stressed that the same does not apply to music other than classical with the HD800/CSP-2 combo...the Darkstar/HE-6 beats them probably in all other kinds of music where a huge soundstage is not needed or wanted (i.e., like the aforementioned tracks from the Graceland album).  Thus, the Darkstar/HE-6 is an extremely versatile system where everything you throw at it sounds great...but in order to climb the highest peaks of classical music - the most demanding type of music when it comes to headphone/headamp performance - it is the HD800/CSP-2 for me.  I am so satisfied with my current systems that I had not other option than to cancel my order for the Blue Hawaii Special Edition amp/SR009 combo, which was already in the works, as I don't think $11K will be enough to supplant my current systems.  I've definitely lost my craving for Electrostatic Headphones...not motivated anymore.  I've never been so happy or satisfied in my life...yes, in my whole life.  Classical music is everything to me and I've finally reached nirvana. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back