Amp for LCD-2?
Oct 9, 2011 at 2:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

SHURE530

New Head-Fier
I've been wondering what's the difference between say a ray samuel's SR71b amp and a Fiio E7?
cuz all an amp does is just provide more juice to the cans right?

Oct 9, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #2 of 7

Quote:
I've been wondering what's the difference between say a ray samuel's SR71b amp and a Fiio E7?
cuz all an amp does is just provide more juice to the cans right?

SR71B is a much higher end product with more refinement and 'juice' than the E7. 

SR71B has no in built DAC either.

LCD-2 can be driven just about any full sized amp, but ask any LCD2+ Nuforce Icon owner who's
tried a Violectric V200 or Schiit Lyr and they will tell you there is a big difference.

Oct 9, 2011 at 2:40 AM Post #3 of 7
i'm no sound engineer. :frowning2:

what i'm getting at is i've tried my lcd2 with a little dot mk3 amp. yes it does sound good but will the upgrade to the Violectric V200 or a SR71B bring a significant difference in audio quality?

and it can't be that hard to drive a headphone right. just give it more electricity. :<

Oct 9, 2011 at 2:48 AM Post #5 of 7

Quote:

what i'm getting at is i've tried my lcd2 with a little dot mk3 amp. yes it does sound good but will the upgrade to the Violectric V200 or a SR71B bring a significant difference in audio quality?

and it can't be that hard to drive a headphone right. just give it more electricity. :<

Cannot speak for the SR71B as I have not heard it ~ but yes the Violectric V200 will supply more current for the LCD-2
over the Mk3 from Little Dot. It is a very powerful headphone amp that manages to retain a very sweet, almost tube
like sound for a solid state amp. Bass and clarity should be superior along with response.

Driving headphones 'properly' is what most of us on here are trying to do half the time when we're not listening
to music 
biggrin.gif

Oct 9, 2011 at 2:49 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

As far as I'm concerned, "significant" differences are beyond the realm of amps and DACs. The headphones make the significant differences. Amps and DACs either provide a slightly less noisy and distorted signal, or a slightly more noisy and distorted signal, or nothing audible at all.

Quote:
on a related note, how is alo moon's silver coated copper wire selling at $400... like, it's just a wire right? o.o

Yep, just wire. Very expensive wire.

Apr 9, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
As far as I'm concerned, "significant" differences are beyond the realm of amps and DACs. The headphones make the significant differences. Amps and DACs either provide a slightly less noisy and distorted signal, or a slightly more noisy and distorted signal, or nothing audible at all.

Unless you have spent time with an extraordinary DAC....I listened to an MSB about a year ago that changed my thinking about what a potential influence this component can have on a system. Crazy expensive, but astonishing none the less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back