Amp/DAC recommandation for AKG K601
May 18, 2011 at 4:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Adrgha

New Head-Fier
I bought a pair of AKG K601's last year which I have enjoyed immensely. Up until now I have used them on a cheap Firestone Fireye 2 amp/DAC when used with my laptop, and an old NAD preamp with the X-Fi soundcard in my desktop computer as DAC. 

This has has worked fairly well, however, I do believe the cans deserve something better. Thus, I am looking at buying a new DAC/amp solution that fits the K601's well. I am however a novice and there are a LOT of different options out there, so I'd like to get some advice on what to pick.

My preference would be a device which acts as both DAC and amp, both for convenience and cost. I'm not really sure what my upper limit would be, but I'm guessing around $400? Would that get me something decent? If not I might be able to squeeze in another $100.

Another thing is that I live in northern Europe, so I must be able to buy it from somewhere that does international shipping.

Thank you in advance!

May 18, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #2 of 9
Welcome to head-fi!

I was going to recommend the HA-160D (Amp/Dac) which works great with Akg's. But its out of your price range. 

Sorry about your wallet. 
wink.gif

May 18, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #3 of 9
Thank you for the welcome!

Yes, that is a little out of my budget. It looks really, really nice though. My car needs repairs (isn't it funny how that always happens when you're finally able to release funds for something "fun"?), so I can't really go further than 4-500 USD now. Surely I can get something that's a substantial upgrade over my $100 Firestone unit for that?

Keep the suggestions coming!

May 18, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #4 of 9
At the $200 price point, you can look at the Audio-gd NFB-12 (Link: http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB12/NFB12EN.htm).  It's excellent value for the cost.

Another thing to look into is the Yulong D100, closer to the $500 price point.  I have not heard it, but Project86 wrote a solid review of it (Link: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/499562/review-yulong-d100-dac-amp-reference-quality-with-a-reasonable-price).  Might be worth looking into.

Both of these are DAC/amp combination boxes.

May 18, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #5 of 9
Thank you for the suggestions.

I was looking at the Audio-gd earlier today, actually. But I couldn't figure out how to actually buy one from their site. I guess I'm also a little worried it won't be powerful enough..? Anyone tried this with AKG's?

The Yulong looks great. But for that price, I'd also like it to have analog inputs. Perhaps not a big deal, but every now and again, when I can't be bothered to drag my laptop along, I want to be able to use my MP3 player as source. But I've bookmarked the review and will read it in full later.

How would something like a Nuforce HDP fare with my cans?

May 18, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
I was looking at the Audio-gd earlier today, actually. But I couldn't figure out how to actually buy one from their site. I guess I'm also a little worried it won't be powerful enough..? Anyone tried this with AKG's?

If you want to buy from them, you need to e-mail them what you'd like.  I'd ask them if they have availability before ordering, though.  I didn't have any problems when I ordered a while back, but some people report that they haven't been able to deliver in a timely manner, secondary to demand outstripping supply.  So definitely ask for a timeframe on delivery before you commit.

I can't comment on the NuForce HDP.  Haven't heard it.

May 18, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #7 of 9
I am using the Yulong D100 which about the top of your budget on ebay and I use it with the K601 and it sounds great imo.

May 18, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #8 of 9
Hey I used to have the Audio Gd Fun and a pair of AKG 601.  Its been about a year since I had them, but from what I remember it was very nice sounding.  I am sorry if I cant give anything better for a description.  I had the earth opamp in the fun and I had Version A.  I was using it directly tied into my iMac by USB.  To get ahold of Audio GD just email them what you want, thats how i order everything I bought from them.
Have a good day

tink97

May 19, 2011 at 8:24 AM Post #9 of 9
Thank you for sharing first-hand experience, much appreciated!

rawster: Could you elaborate a bit on what the 601's sound like on the Yulong? Is there anything you feel is missing? How are the high's? I'm allergic to SSSSSSSSS'es. Hehe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back