AMP and DAC for AKG K701
Jul 16, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #31 of 55
The K701s are my favorite headphones that I don't yet own. I have auditioned them extensively in B&H, where they are driven by inexpensive Rolls headphone amps. I thought they still sounded wonderful.

I would encourage you to start with an inexpensive amp and go from there. Buy more music with the money that you just saved.
dt880smile.png

Jul 17, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #32 of 55
Probably because we're new.

Quote:
Holy crap, why do you new guys all make the exact same mistakes? Exact down to dollar amounts. Seriously, you're all the same. These are exactly like the "What are the best phones under $100" threads.

Here's something I just wrote a minute ago:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/502135/hd-650-and-amp-dac-or-amp-dac#post_6785413

Edit: Actually, where the hell are those old sticky threads? They had good info. Ugh.

I see. But see I want to start with something that I can keep for a long time. An amp that'll go well with other headphones I might get in the future. I don't want to get an inexpensive amp and then I would want to sell it after a few months..

Quote:
The K701s are my favorite headphones that I don't yet own. I have auditioned them extensively in B&H, where they are driven by inexpensive Rolls headphone amps. I thought they still sounded wonderful.

I would encourage you to start with an inexpensive amp and go from there. Buy more music with the money that you just saved.
dt880smile.png

Jul 17, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #33 of 55
With the money you have it's best to buy used. When you're ready to upgrade your loss will be minimal. Probably just the cost of shipping... Oh and make sure you don't pay too much for used.

Jul 17, 2010 at 10:19 AM Post #34 of 55
[size=medium]

Because not all of us can afford the best right away and you have to start from somewhere. Even what is considered "the best" is debatable because we all have different ears. Buy used and relatively well regarded equipment here and you can easily turn it over for minimum loss.

[/size]

Jul 17, 2010 at 10:45 AM Post #35 of 55

Quote:
Holy crap, why do you new guys all make the exact same mistakes? Exact down to dollar amounts. Seriously, you're all the same. These are exactly like the "What are the best phones under $100" threads.

Here's something I just wrote a minute ago:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/502135/hd-650-and-amp-dac-or-amp-dac#post_6785413

Edit: Actually, where the hell are those old sticky threads? They had good info. Ugh.

so what would you have newbies do?  buy a hd595 instead?

well, that's exactly what i did 8 months ago on the advice of others like yourself.
i bought the hd595 because i couldn't really afford the amp and dac.
and, guess what?  worst mistake i've made in audio.

they didn't scale up with any of the changes i made in my rig.  so i sold 'em.
and i bought k702s.  and slowly have improved my system since.  and guess what?  the k702s have made the JOURNEY more entertaining.

isn't that what it's about?  a journey?
wink.gif

Jul 17, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #36 of 55
Well no, its about listening to music that satisfies you. The journey is for those who can't or won't spend what it takes to get where you want to be immediately. Sorry, the trip for me was to where I wanted to be. You do have to go to meets that may be hours away just so you find what you want to hear. Once you find your sweet spot, jump in.

Jul 17, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #37 of 55

Quote:
Probably because we're new.

I'm more lamenting the absence of the good sticky threads than putting any blame on yourself. It happens. Lesson learned. Good luck in the future. Search function please.

Quote:
so what would you have newbies do?  buy a hd595 instead?

well, that's exactly what i did 8 months ago on the advice of others like yourself.
i bought the hd595 because i couldn't really afford the amp and dac.
and, guess what?  worst mistake i've made in audio.

they didn't scale up with any of the changes i made in my rig.  so i sold 'em.
and i bought k702s.  and slowly have improved my system since.  and guess what?  the k702s have made the JOURNEY more entertaining.

isn't that what it's about?  a journey?
wink.gif

That's an entirely different and personal matter. If one were to limit their budget to not include an amp or a DAC, then HD595 is a good enough choice. That mistake is on you, because you eventually changed your mind about expanding your budget. Honestly, most forum readers don't care about the journey. Also, please to define "like yourself". If you're saying you notice me consistently doling out bad advice, I'd appreciate the heads up.

Jul 17, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #38 of 55

I'm more lamenting the absence of the good sticky threads than putting any blame on yourself. It happens. Lesson learned. Good luck in the future. Search function please.

That's an entirely different and personal matter. If one were to limit their budget to not include an amp or a DAC, then HD595 is a good enough choice. That mistake is on you, because you eventually changed your mind about expanding your budget. Honestly, most forum readers don't care about the journey. Also, please to define "like yourself". If you're saying you notice me consistently doling out bad advice, I'd appreciate the heads up.

sorry for generalizing. And yes it was my mistake for buying phones that did not scale up.

Jul 18, 2010 at 11:02 AM Post #39 of 55

Quote:
Well no, its about listening to music that satisfies you. The journey is for those who can't or won't spend what it takes to get where you want to be immediately. Sorry, the trip for me was to where I wanted to be. You do have to go to meets that may be hours away just so you find what you want to hear. Once you find your sweet spot, jump in.

that seems fairly contrary to the very reason i frequent this site.  so i feel like i have to say something.

HC, i didn't mean to incense anyone with my post.
i'm simply responding to Atothex's post.  He/she was admonishing the OP for buying the K701 and not buying the appropriate dac and amp to go along with it.

well, at least this thread is evidence that the OP is trying to get better sound out of them.  and we should encourage that, not call them foolish.

if you ask me, i will argue time and again that someone with limited funds should by a product that will scale up.  even if it means not getting the fullest enjoyment out of it for a short time.

purchasing an end-all product like a k1000 or an electrostat rig isn't in the cards for everyone from day one. 
so, yes, for most of us there is a journey involved.  and, our "sweet spot" changes over time, does it not?

...and, no, not for a moment have i forgotten that it's about the music.  of course it's about the music, man.  but, i would venture to say that the journey teaches us about what we like in sound and how we want that music delivered to us. 

hey, if someone can get all that from a head-fi meet, then please let me know their secret. 

i seriously doubt all these people would flock here everyday if it weren't about some sort of journey...

Jul 18, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #40 of 55
We're good and I was expressing my view. No offense intended.

I'm a save and buy once person. I will probably get other hps but I will not get another amp and once purchased, no more DACs. I want something that's versatile with enough power for usual headphones and as future proof as possible that will take me to my grave.

I think most young people would agree with your approach. Us old guys don't have a lifetime left and have taken that journey to our current status. It's all relative to the reader's point of view.

These are discussion forums and we are pretty civilized here. It's OK to have differing opinions. One will fit someone out there with the same perspective.

Jul 18, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #41 of 55
deleted.

Jul 28, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #43 of 55
I just got the cable today.

So I'm going from computer mobo sound > M-stage > k701, no DAC.

Even without a DAC, I have to say it's a pretty big improvement. the music is so much more dynamic, larger sound stage and the bass is amazing.

So at this point, i don't really hear anything wrong with my source, no noise even when i turn it all it way up. What would a DAC do for me at this point?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back