Am i being stupid or do headphones sound better at night?
Apr 8, 2007 at 4:09 AM Post #31 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's the dao, the way, the zen of head-fidelity. We speak of the blackness of no sound in audiophilia. Night for the mind is the counterpart, the whiteness of no thought. At night, when your mind is shutting down, turning off the constant processing of information, when you approach nothingness, zero energy flow, the sound comes to you, pure, unfettered by your consciousness, expectations, thoughts, concerns, biases, fears, dreams, whatever. You're totally relaxed. None of your muscles are working. You've let go. Your ego's out of the way. You're out of the way. You're nothing. Total tabula rasa. Your mind, like a baby's. Completely open. You just are. You and the music just are. One.

Whoa...Serious signature material right there... I believe he KNOWS (;-}

Apr 8, 2007 at 5:08 AM Post #34 of 63
Turn off the light and it will sound even better.
cool.gif

Apr 8, 2007 at 5:09 AM Post #35 of 63
I've experienced this, as well. Actually, I do almost all of my listening at night.

I wonder if this is part of the reason why there are so many night owls on Head-Fi?

Apr 8, 2007 at 5:20 AM Post #36 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The difference is like night and day

Well put! Seems like I've heard that before...

I'm an all day listener, or at least for the most part. In my car, I'm really liking the variety offered by XM radio, and on my scooter I'm usually listening to my iPod/Tomahawk/E500 rig. So I'm a happy listener when I'm on the go, be it day or night. I really don't notice the difference.

At home it's a different story. I much prefer night listening. I find it much more difficult to do dedicated listening sessions (either with speakers or headphones) during the day. The light source alone is enough to distract me. That, and the sense that there are other things that I ought to be doing.

Late in the evening and through the wee hours of the night, I tend to settle into a groove and listen for several hours nonstop. Sometimes I'm keeping myself busy doing other things, but most of my work is on the computer so I can be anywhere and still productive. For whatever reasons, I'm just way more relaxed at night and view the music as a reward for doing what I needed to do during the day.

So I think more than anything, it has to do with your frame of mind. You have to be ready to "receive" music to enjoy it fully. My mind tends to be too occupied during the day.

Apr 8, 2007 at 5:20 AM Post #37 of 63
I think so as well... i feel all my senses seem to come alive late at night, possibly because they're not constantly being bombarded with various stimuli like they are during day time so they don't "tune out?" ... the darkness of the surrounding helps as well but I seem to enjoy a wee bit of lighting instead of complete darkness though... hm... sounds like yet another reason to get myself a nice glow-in-the-dark tube amp =P

Apr 8, 2007 at 6:23 AM Post #38 of 63
Nope.... not at all. After 9:00, the kids are asleep, the hustle / bustle of the city streets quiet down. Usually I've showered and am in my PJs. The tubes/Grados are warmed up, the beer is ice cold.
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif

Apr 8, 2007 at 8:12 AM Post #39 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The difference is like night and day

LOL

Apr 8, 2007 at 9:08 AM Post #40 of 63
If I'd have to choose between the "power grid has less action at night" and "ears are more sensitive at night" I'd definitely go for the latter one.
wink.gif

Apr 9, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #41 of 63
Music does sound better at night. I believe it's due mostly to the lack of 'dark suckers' but something tells me that when you are sitting in the complete darkness (except for the soft glow of yer tubie thingys) your visual senses are impaired and your auditory senses heighten.
blink.gif

Apr 9, 2007 at 3:42 AM Post #43 of 63
Quote:

It’s been observed that there is less electrical noise on the power lines at night since there is less activity and less going on.

My God that's silly. Will people believe anything to avoid admitting that a difference is simply psychological?

Quote:

but something tells me that when you are sitting in the complete darkness (except for the soft glow of yer tubie thingys) your visual senses are impaired and your auditory senses heighten.

Ya think..?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back