Am i being stupid or do headphones sound better at night?
Apr 9, 2007 at 5:42 AM Post #46 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkfloyd4ever /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you're not always high at night are you?
tongue.gif
I'm not condoning illegal activities, but let's just say I've heard that music is like 10 times sweeter when you're baked
eggosmile.gif

Hmm.... that avatar.... and that nickname....
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 9, 2007 at 6:17 AM Post #47 of 63
I agree with most here stating that at night the rig sounds better. While the power lines and what not might be part of it, I use a power rengenerator and still notice the effect. I think it has primarily to do with psychological issues. I think we calm down at night, and even though our ears may be fatigued, etc... etc..., our ability to be absorbed in an activity requiring concentration is greater. Simply closing your eyes tends to exhibit what are known as alpha-patterned brainwaves. I think at night we have more alpha brain waves, which are associated with relaxation and concentration (not the stress inducing type), which to me makes the difference.

Neil

Apr 9, 2007 at 6:33 AM Post #49 of 63
I agree, I actually prefer to listen to music at night. I spend around 30 mins to 1 hour before I sleep/sleep and take them off when sleep mode goes on with my eyes closed. It really sounds better for some reason. Probably because of the lack of sound.

Apr 9, 2007 at 7:00 AM Post #50 of 63
It's 3 AM, and The Beatles are sounding their best. I like listening to simple vocals around this time, before I go to sleep. Complex music sounds too garbled for me to enjoy right now. Headphones always sound good to me, but I change the type of music I listen to based on the time of day, among other factors.

Apr 9, 2007 at 7:39 AM Post #51 of 63
I ALWAYS listen to music with the lights off and eyes closed, whether it be headphones or speakers. At least if I want to listen seriously and not just as some kind of background noise.

It's just much more enjoyable because you can just forget everything around you. I have also noticed that especially with speakers the 'imaging' is much better when I have my eyes closed.
Probably because my eyes aren't sending contradictory information to my brain at the time then
tongue.gif

Apr 11, 2007 at 2:32 PM Post #52 of 63
Had to post, middle and the night and... wow
biggrin.gif

I guess for me it's not the dark, lights on and I'm using the computer, but my music started sounding amazing, I'm sure it doesn't normally sound like this.
My mouse seems to move very smoothly too (very smooth), must just be part of being tired.

Apr 11, 2007 at 3:16 PM Post #53 of 63
I'm sure part of the answer is the phenomenon known as sensory adaptation. Continued exposure to a stimulus reduces your perception of it. For example, when you first start listening to a sound, it may seem too loud, but after a minute or so it won't seem as bad -- which is one of the reasons it is so important to keep volume levels down to protect your hearing, even if it doesn't feel painful or too loud at the moment. If you leave your air conditioning running, for instance, after a while you may completely forget it is on, even if you thought it was very loud when you first turned it on -- and when you turn it off, you may suddenly realize you can hear a lot of other things better!

At night, things are more likely to be quiet, as well as darker.

I recall reading an article over twenty years ago about how turning off the lights in a room will make the volume of music seem louder!

Check out this link:

http://www.hometracked.com/2006/04/3...-while-mixing/

I don't buy the decreased nighttime electrical interference argument at all. I would expect interference should come across as buzzing or as noise, like radio-frequency interference -- not as some overall decrease in sound quality during the day.

Apr 11, 2007 at 4:19 PM Post #55 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xsparc7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The best time to listen to music for me is from 9:30pm to 11:30pm, during full moon.

Full moon -- OK, now you're upping the ante. Call, raise, or fold, folks.

Apr 11, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #57 of 63
not really, theres obviously something psychological that happens at night to alter how people perceive music and the way in which it is produced. theres enough people here saying the same thing that for some reason may it just be that your tired at night and so less critical of the imperfections in the way the music is re produced,

Either way it is not Quote:

like saying headphones sound better if I scratch my butt before I listen

maybe your been a little cynical about it, most probably because it is not something you experience. Doesnt mean its rediculous as plenty of others experience this too

Apr 11, 2007 at 4:54 PM Post #58 of 63
I have definatly found my music to sound best at night , lights out. I often put on an album whilst in bed, and listen from start to finish before going to sleep. I have had most eargasms doing this. It has to be said a couple of beers heightens the experience too
wink.gif

Apr 11, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #59 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My God that's silly. Will people believe anything to avoid admitting that a difference is simply psychological?

My God, certain people will make dogmatic, judgmental statements like this no matter what the particular issue. Man, you're a real joy to have around.
biggrin.gif

P.S. You can make the same point, as others have, without being so nasty about it.
cool.gif

Apr 14, 2007 at 4:14 AM Post #60 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My God that's silly. Will people believe anything to avoid admitting that a difference is simply psychological?

Ya think..?

I think, therefore I am. Hey, breathing is psychological. When you think about it, taste is psychological, too, so the food we crave, the music we love -- yeah, all psychological. Not so "simple" when you think about it. Room for endless thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back