Am i being stupid or do headphones sound better at night?
Apr 7, 2007 at 10:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 63

Timmy029

Head-Fier
When ever i listen to my headphones at night my music has more depth, bass is more present yet more detailed, high are more detailed and mids sound awesome ,my music really comes to life... Is there any explanation for this, does anybody else experience this or am i just strange, maybe im just more relaxed and more drawn into the music.... Just like to know other peoples views and experiences etc, see if i am going insane
tongue.gif

Apr 7, 2007 at 11:08 PM Post #3 of 63
maybe your ears are more sensitive to sound towards the end of the day when are your are a little tired?

Apr 7, 2007 at 11:10 PM Post #4 of 63
^ Exactly. You are used to quietness at night; very few sounds you hear compared to daytime, so when you listen to music, by then your ears have become "sensitive."

Apr 7, 2007 at 11:12 PM Post #5 of 63
It’s been observed that there is less electrical noise on the power lines at night since there is less activity and less going on. People claim their music sounds better at night. Pretty much like you’ve described. It’s been talked about numerous times on other audio sites.

Mitch

Apr 7, 2007 at 11:20 PM Post #7 of 63
really? power lines can make a difference???, it just seem strange how i sit down and listen to a song and im bored with it, and at night its really intense and lively, maybe there are less sounds and your more relaxed.. who knows but its interesting

Apr 7, 2007 at 11:22 PM Post #8 of 63
I just thought it was because all those grandkids are in bed and I can finally get a few moments peace and quiet!

But for whatever reason; my cans do "sound" better at night when it's quieter in the house and I don't have as many distractions.

Apr 7, 2007 at 11:26 PM Post #9 of 63
Speakers also sound better at night. And I find that I need to turn down the volume to stay at the same perceived sound level.

In the day there's lots of ambient noise that you don't realize because your brain does a good job of tuning it out. But regardless of what your brain tries to ignore, the ambient noise still disturbs the sound you're trying to listen to.

Apr 7, 2007 at 11:46 PM Post #10 of 63
I totally agree. I've noticed this for a while now, and I'm convinced that it is do to power issues (or maybe the drinks). I'm guessing this is more pronounced in urban areas. I live in the heart of downtown Philly and I definately hear this both with my speaker system and headphones. Bass gets the most benefit from my experience.

Apr 7, 2007 at 11:52 PM Post #11 of 63
I read somewhere your hearing is more acute at nighttime, therefore hearing the frequency extremes more.

Apr 8, 2007 at 12:00 AM Post #13 of 63
I think it maybe due to like , getting busy with your eyes closed , feels more intense ;-}

/ The orgasmic analagoy ~

/ Orgasmic or'gazmik
1. Relating to or of orgasam
2. Very pleasurable

/ Ergo eyes closed eargasam (;-}

Apr 8, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #14 of 63
"really? power lines can make a difference???,"

Hey if a power cord "could" make a difference. Or a line noise supressor "could" make a difference then less activity on the electrical grid "could" also make a difference.

"it's quieter at night. you hear more."

Nah... I listen loud enough where outside noises aren't an issue.

If anything your hearing should be fatigued so it should be less atuned to subtle nuances in music.

Mitch

Apr 8, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #15 of 63
It's because you're tired and you're less attuned to details. This makes for a more aesthetically pleasing performance. It's also because there is less ambient noise which may distract from the presentation (LOUDNESS is not the issue; regardless of how LOUD you play your music, the noise is still there, although your conscious mind may not recognize it).

It would be the same if you were drinking alcohol during the day time.

-Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back