ALO Rx Mk2 + DT770/600Ohms ?
Aug 1, 2011 at 9:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

fishbone

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I currently have an ALO Rx Mk2 as a portable HP amp, and I would like to buy a Beyerdynamic DT770 as a portable cans (commuting and work) and I have in fact 2 questions :

1/ Is the ALO Rx Mk2 strong enough to drive the 600Ohms version ? Or Should I get the 250Ohms one (in that case is there a very big difference between those twos ?)
2/ Isn't the DT770 too big as a portable cans ? Even if it's stylish with the manufaktur thing.

Thank you !

Aug 1, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #2 of 6
Why get one of the most unportable cans as a portable can? 

Get some Senn HD25-1 ii and you won't need the amp.

Aug 1, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #3 of 6
The DT770/600s will sound quite good from even "weak" amps because high impedance means low current and that means lower distortion with pretty much all amps.

You might have a problem with maximum volume though.  It just depends on how loud you listen.  There are probably more suitable portable amps out there for the 600 ohm Beyers if you don't mind switching.

I'm with you on using them as portable though since they're comfy and isolate well and I don't mind carrying around extra stuff.

Aug 1, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #4 of 6
The ALO RX MK II will drive them to reasonable volume level and if you want to buy more powerful portable AMPs later then iBasso PB2 is highely recommended.

Aug 3, 2011 at 2:30 AM Post #5 of 6
Thank you all for you reply !

Quote:
Why get one of the most unportable cans as a portable can? 

Get some Senn HD25-1 ii and you won't need the amp.

Well I don't really like supra-aural headphones. That's why in the first place I didn't buy the HD25.
And why is it not portable ? Maybe too big ? as I can see you don't look like an astronaut. :)
The thing is I'm looking for a comfy circumaural headphones which isolate quite well and have a decent sound (I'm more into a V-shape sound signature). And the Beyer can be very stylish ! :)

Now If the Mk2 can drive "quite" well the 600Ohms, then the 250Ohms should be good. Is there a huge difference between the 600 and the 250 ?
As far as I can see, some are saying there is, some others don't... ?

Aug 3, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
Now If the Mk2 can drive "quite" well the 600Ohms, then the 250Ohms should be good. Is there a huge difference between the 600 and the 250 ?
As far as I can see, some are saying there is, some others don't... ?

I've heard that there are bass-lite and bass-heavy versions of the 770/600 but I haven't head of bass-lite versions of the 250.  That's probably the biggest difference to watch out for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back