ALO Pan Am desktop/portable headphone amp/DAC: Impressions and Reviews
Apr 22, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #182 of 1,147
Quote:

Those impressions are thrilling...I can hear your enthusiasm. You haven't by any chance heard the Bottlehead Crack? I'm not a DIYer so the ALO Pan Am is sooo tempting...

No, have not heard the Crack, it was on my list of tube amps  (which included the Woo WA6 and EF-5 also). Have heard nothing but good things about the Crack.

Apr 25, 2013 at 8:44 AM Post #183 of 1,147
Hi guys, i'm currently using an Aune T1 tube dac with ss amp, paired to my samson sr850 monitors and an Asus n56VZ laptop (with what i believe contains a Creative Audigy HD soundcard) with MAxxAudio Equalizer pre-installed. I use foobar/spotify as my main audio player for all kinds of songs (mp3/ flac 16/44)  Problem is, i['m finding there to be a troubling lack of tubey sound coming out from my current dac even though i've done some tube-rolling with it. It appears as if the dac in the Aune T1 just isn't miles better than the soundcard in the Asus laptop:frowning2:  As you can probably tell, i'm still a newbie who hasn't yet ventured into high-end audio, though i am totally tempted to do so some time soon :D

Can I get any feedback as to whether there are any Aune T1 users, and even if not, whether upgrading my dac to the pan am will engender significant improvements in overall sound (esp the tubey stuff)? I might eventually change/upgrade my headphones to something like a hifiman he400 so any inputs as to pairing is also appreciated. 

My above concern is in regards to improving my desktop rig, but if there are any recommendations for a small home audio system set-up (cd-player and all that will be great!)

Apr 25, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #184 of 1,147
I think you should first think about getting the best pair of headphones you can get. Then think about amplification. Unless of course you are really in love with your current pair. I think asking about an amp and then saying you'll get headphones for it later is counter intuitive. Just my two cents :D

Apr 26, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #185 of 1,147
Hi ! 
       I do love my headphones:) If it's somehow possible to maximize the sound of my current set-up, i'd prefer not to change my headphones. One reason i'm so into amp/dacs is because i've heard amazing things coming out from pretty standard headphones (akg 240 for e.g.) at audio stores and it is my believe that the amazing sound is probably due to whatever hi-fi set up they used in-store. My sr850 has similar, if not (subjectively) better qualities than that of the akgs, which is why i tend towards building upon the other components of my audio-setup...

Of course, another thing is whether computer audio + good amp/dac can compare to a hifi-cd player kinda set up, given the technical complications and factors involved in achieving the best configuration for computer audio.  I personally haven't got a chance to compare and try out the difference since i'm only just beginning with little opportunities to visit a store selling all kinds of dac/amps/hi-fi equipment and catering to auditions.

But thanks for your input anyway:D It's just that i'd prefer saving up money for a better system since I already have a decent- to me - headphone at hand:) 

Apr 26, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #186 of 1,147
Has anyone tried the Pan Am with (unmodified) Fostex T50RP? My work setup is Audio-GD NFB12 and Fostex T50RP without mod. I'm looking to replace the NFB-12 and I think the Pan Am might be a good solution. I would like to hear thoughts from someone if they've tried this combination. 

*EDIT* Before recommendations to replace or mod my T50RP come swarming in, I want to say that the T50RP is perfect for my current needs. It sounds great, it's cheap, and I do not mind leaving it at my office. It is also semi-closed so I do not get any complaints about noise leakage and it reasonably blocks out everyone around me so I can ignore them when they try to talk to me. 
biggrin.gif
 I haven't found a semi or closed back headphone that seems like a better fit to me for office use. I leave my NFB-12 at my office as well, but I will likely take the Pan Am back and forth between home and office because of its size and its cost. It's a bit too expensive to be worry free about theft. 

May 20, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #189 of 1,147
:O
I wish I had the guts to bring my Pan Am where I spend the day.

May 21, 2013 at 3:53 AM Post #190 of 1,147
You should. If transporting them and potentially breaking them is a fear of yours, just buy one of those dslr carry kits. You'll find one that fits nicely, i'm sure. Or if you really want protection, get a pelican 1400 or pelican 1500. You fit the pan am, a full sized headphone, cables and then some. :xf_eek:

May 21, 2013 at 6:48 AM Post #192 of 1,147
I have Symphones Magnums, which are modified Grados with a similar type of driver. I am pretty happy with the combination. 

May 21, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #194 of 1,147
[COLOR=333333][SIZE=11.5pt]To me default Chines tubes sounds better than upgraded Siemens tubes. What are your thoughts on Siemens tubes vs default ones vs Russian ones?[/SIZE][/COLOR]

My favorites are the Voshkods, Mullards and Cifte's, and not in any particular order. Each sounds best matched to particular headphones. I love the Cite tubes with DT880's; the Mullards with various Senns and the Russian tubes with LCD-3's and D2000's

May 21, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #195 of 1,147
My favorites are the Voshkods, Mullards and Cifte's, and not in any particular order. Each sounds best matched to particular headphones. I love the Cite tubes with DT880's; the Mullards with various Senns and the Russian tubes with LCD-3's and D2000's

PS - the Siemens sound good with most phones, but I don't get any special synergy like the other tubes mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back