ALO Pan Am desktop/portable headphone amp/DAC: Impressions and Reviews
Jan 31, 2013 at 9:13 AM Post #152 of 1,147
Russian tubes arrived. They win. Nicer than the Mullards. Totally spot-on.

The only downside is that it wasn't happy with my Sony XBA-3s and their wacky impedance curve.

Jan 31, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #153 of 1,147
It is pretty remarkable how much better the Russian tubes sound right out of the box.  Well worth the price.  I was surprised how much of an improvement they made over the stock tubes.  Everything sounded better.  Definitely makes the Pan Am that much more fun to listen to. 

Jan 31, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #154 of 1,147
Quote:
Russian tubes arrived. They win. Nicer than the Mullards. Totally spot-on.

The only downside is that it wasn't happy with my Sony XBA-3s and their wacky impedance curve.

Yes, very lowΩ BA earphones do cause some small headaches. At least there is plenty of balance to play with via the Pan Am, and thanks to software volume limits, there is pretty much infinite control to be had on the volume pot. Enjoy the Russians.

Feb 5, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #157 of 1,147
I need to update my impressions here: the Last 20% of the battery is fine at normal to semi-loud listening volumes. When you stretch it up to very loud reach, the battery can force audible artefacts, but I've not had that problem at normal listening volumes with any of MY headphones.

Feb 6, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #159 of 1,147
Just picked up this AMP and I am currently using the stock tubes.  I also picked up the Russian tubes and I have the Mullard tubes coming as well.  Based on what others have said I think I will test each tube for 30-50 hours and pick the best one.  The Amp itself though is awesome.

Feb 18, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #164 of 1,147
Quote:
Does anyone else hear a buzzing noise when the Pan Am is plugged in to the wall wart?

You might try a different AC outlet in your home, an AC outlet at a neighbor's house, or an AC outlet at work - to see if the noise problem goes away.

The owner of an Emotiva amp is having a similar problem, for which I've recommended an inexpensive power conditioner:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/629352/hifiman-he-500-on-a-speaker-amp-emotiva-mini-x-a-100-project/720#post_9176272

Mike

Feb 18, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #165 of 1,147
Quote:
Does anyone else hear a buzzing noise when the Pan Am is plugged in to the wall wart?

Do you have the metal covers on the tubes? I keep my Pan Am close to my computer, and I find that I have to have the covers on to prevent humming. I do not get any hum from power, but I am plugged from the Passport into a NTS1600 Powerstation. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back