ALO Pan Am desktop/portable headphone amp/DAC: Impressions and Reviews
May 22, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #211 of 1,147
Quote:

Going from the K702 to the HD650 don't you miss some of the top frequencies?  I owned the HD650 twice (old & new drivers) and liked them and I'm debating on trying them again or the HD600.

Well, all I can say, it is a acquired taste (you will find more threads on the Sennheiser sound), some love it (like I do), some hate it. All in the preferably sound you like.

May 22, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #212 of 1,147
Quote:
Wi
Will do. I've really missed the treble on my K702s, as that is what I find most lacking with my LCD-2s. I really hope the T70s deliver in that regard,

I have heard that the LCD-2 is a much improved version of HD650. They are my next set of cans. The K702 is very good alternate of the Sennheisers, my HD650 with tubes just LOVES jazz. The AKG is a all-around for just about anything else.

May 23, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #213 of 1,147
Just received my T70 (250 ohm) today from Amazon. These are very efficient headphones and require very little in terms of power from the Pan Am. As we all know, the Pan Am has pretty high output impedance; perfect for cans like these. The T70s have polarized many reviewers, with some calling them downright terrible, and others proclaiming them the worthy heir to the DT770s. The two biggest issues described of the T70s are the bass and headband. If I remember correctly, Malveaux painted a picture of a headphone with overly hot treble and essentially nonexistent bass. I find this not to be the case. The bass is deep and feels quite natural to me. This is coming from someone who was satisfied with and spent a great deal of time with both the K702s and LCD2. The headband, which some called cheap and uncomfortable...well...I can't say it's uncomfortable. These are comfy cans. But yes, the headband has this band of cheap plastic running down the whole center of it. It just doesn't feel right on a headphone with a street price of 559 bucks. I really see no reason why Beyerdynamic could have decided to cover the entire headband with the micro velour. Little as I know of the manufacturing process, it does not at all seem like a major cost. Really. Sorry for the rant on the headband, but I felt that I just had to let that out 
biggrin.gif
. The Siemens tubes I'm running them with right now add a greatly appreciated boost to the low end while widening the already wide soundstage. I'm sorry for the rushed impressions--I am fairly busy today and don't have time to proofread or spellcheck (pfft...that's for losers), so just send me a PM if you find anything dramatically wrong. More detailed impressions will follow.

May 23, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #214 of 1,147
Just received the Pan Am today and was socked by is tinny size. I guest I was tricked by the smaller size of the 6J1 tube. I'm use to the 12AU7 family. Anyway so far I have tried the Pan Am with my Hifiman RE-262 (150 Ohm IEM) and liked the sound. I'm using the Siemens tube for now and they are pretty good. I'm currently listening with the K702 and again it's very nice. The Bass get better presence for sure.

I also just ordered this external battery pack from Anker (Model Astro Pro 14400 mAh) for $69 (Beats the Passport at $200). I'll report back with the result.

May 23, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #215 of 1,147
Yeah-the Pan Am really does a great job with the K702s 
k701smile.gif
. I know this is a dumb question, but I guess I'll just go ahead anyway: What's the battery pack for?

May 23, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #216 of 1,147
Quote:
Yeah-the Pan Am really does a great job with the K702s 
k701smile.gif
. I know this is a dumb question, but I guess I'll just go ahead anyway: What's the battery pack for?

Based on the reviews I've read they all recommend the Pan Am with the optional Passport battery unit. I found that $200 was to much. I decided to try the Anker Battery Pack that provide at 12 Volt with up to 2Amp. I have emailed ALO Audio requesting the specification of their Passport but have not received a reply yet (3 days). I pretty sure that 14400 mAh should be enough to allow some decent time on battery only.

I'm planning on using this setup outside with my iPad and the Anker will also power my powered USB hub to allow connection of the iPad with the Camera kit on the Pan Am USB in.

May 23, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #217 of 1,147
Quote:
Just received my T70 (250 ohm) today from Amazon. These are very efficient headphones and require very little in terms of power from the Pan Am. As we all know, the Pan Am has pretty high output impedance; perfect for cans like these. The T70s have polarized many reviewers, with some calling them downright terrible, and others proclaiming them the worthy heir to the DT770s. The two biggest issues described of the T70s are the bass and headband. If I remember correctly, Malveaux painted a picture of a headphone with overly hot treble and essentially nonexistent bass. I find this not to be the case. The bass is deep and feels quite natural to me. This is coming from someone who was satisfied with and spent a great deal of time with both the K702s and LCD2. The headband, which some called cheap and uncomfortable...well...I can't say it's uncomfortable. These are comfy cans. But yes, the headband has this band of cheap plastic running down the whole center of it. It just doesn't feel right on a headphone with a street price of 559 bucks. I really see no reason why Beyerdynamic could have decided to cover the entire headband with the micro velour. Little as I know of the manufacturing process, it does not at all seem like a major cost. Really. Sorry for the rant on the headband, but I felt that I just had to let that out 
biggrin.gif
. The Siemens tubes I'm running them with right now add a greatly appreciated boost to the low end while widening the already wide soundstage. I'm sorry for the rushed impressions--I am fairly busy today and don't have time to proofread or spellcheck (pfft...that's for losers), so just send me a PM if you find anything dramatically wrong. More detailed impressions will follow.

Thanks for your impressions on T70's. At this time would prefer the T70 over K702?

May 23, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #218 of 1,147
Quote:
Just received the Pan Am today and was socked by is tinny size. I guest I was tricked by the smaller size of the 6J1 tube. I'm use to the 12AU7 family. Anyway so far I have tried the Pan Am with my Hifiman RE-262 (150 Ohm IEM) and liked the sound. I'm using the Siemens tube for now and they are pretty good. I'm currently listening with the K702 and again it's very nice. The Bass get better presence for sure.

I also just ordered this external battery pack from Anker (Model Astro Pro 14400 mAh) for $69 (Beats the Passport at $200). I'll report back with the result.

Congrats! I think you will enjoy the Pan Am with the 702.

May 24, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #220 of 1,147
I was about to purchase this until I read the debate between the Passport and Gateway.  If I'm going to use this amp primarily in a desktop setting, won't my constant charging degrade the Passport significantly and lower its lifespan?  But at the same time, I wouldn't want to sacrifice sound quality... decisions decisions..

May 24, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #221 of 1,147
Quote:
I was about to purchase this until I read the debate between the Passport and Gateway.  If I'm going to use this amp primarily in a desktop setting, won't my constant charging degrade the Passport significantly and lower its lifespan?  But at the same time, I wouldn't want to sacrifice sound quality... decisions decisions..

That is a good question. I went with the Passport over the Gateway even though I will use the Pan Am on my desktop, not on go. I just wanted the best sound out of the amp. Has anybody ask ALO about the life expectancy of the Passport? I should have.

May 24, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #222 of 1,147
Quote:
That is a good question. I went with the Passport over the Gateway even though I will use the Pan Am on my desktop, not on go. I just wanted the best sound out of the amp. Has anybody ask ALO about the life expectancy of the Passport? I should have.

I emailed ALO about it and if helpful, will post their response.  I just wasn't able to find any technical specs on the Passport and if it's simply lithium-ion based, I know it won't last too long at the rate I'll be using and recharging.

May 24, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #223 of 1,147
Just got my LCD-2s yesterday.  I thought the HE-400 sounded amazing with the Pan Am but I can't wait to hear what it sounds like once the LCD-2s are burned in.  One step closer to true high end audio!

May 24, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #224 of 1,147
Quote:
Just got my LCD-2s yesterday.  I thought the HE-400 sounded amazing with the Pan Am but I can't wait to hear what it sounds like once the LCD-2s are burned in.  One step closer to true high end audio!

Jealous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back