ALO Audio RXMKIII Balanced Portable Amplifier Impressions
Sep 3, 2014 at 4:11 AM Post #901 of 1,084
  HI, I've been searching for the best part of an hour for an answer to my question in this thread but have had no luck.

How are people who own Audeze LCD2/3s connecting their cans to the balanced output of the ALO Rx?

I am looking at purchasing a pair of LCD2s and an Rx Mk III B+. I want the most cost effective off the shelf option to connect these two in balanced form using the stock XLR cable. I want to use this method for a while before I invest in a more expensive system from ALO or Moon Audio et al so I can appreciate and tell a difference between the upgrades instead of jumping right in without a base to compare to, as I am very new to hi end headphones.

From what I can gather, I need 4 pin XLR female Kobiconn male adapter. Is this correct? Also, I am kind of thrown off with al lthe different names. Some call it Kobiconn, some call it mini balanced, some call it RSA/ALO. Are these all the same or are they slightly different?

The only place that I can clearly see such an item is in the main image from this webpage, but then they fail to mention a Kobiconn option in the possible conenctors type!

http://www.doublehelixcables.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=34

I also can't find such an option on the ALO website, although you can get such a connection if you purchase their entire system of interconnects and cables, where they use 4 pin MINI XLRs which is kind of infuriating!

Not sure if Moon Audio has a stand alone product either without buying one of their "systems".

Does anyone else have any recommendations?

Cheers!

I have the ALO Reference 8 which I used for connecting the stock cable to my balanced ALO output. I am no longer using this since I've replaced the stock cable for the Green line system. If you're interested let me know. Cheers. http://www.aloaudio.com/cables/headphone-cables/reference-8

Sep 3, 2014 at 4:17 AM Post #902 of 1,084
HI, I've been searching for the best part of an hour for an answer to my question in this thread but have had no luck.

How are people who own Audeze LCD2/3s connecting their cans to the balanced output of the ALO Rx?

I am looking at purchasing a pair of LCD2s and an Rx Mk III B+. I want the most cost effective off the shelf option to connect these two in balanced form using the stock XLR cable. I want to use this method for a while before I invest in a more expensive system from ALO or Moon Audio et al so I can appreciate and tell a difference between the upgrades instead of jumping right in without a base to compare to, as I am very new to hi end headphones.

From what I can gather, I need 4 pin XLR female Kobiconn male adapter. Is this correct? Also, I am kind of thrown off with al lthe different names. Some call it Kobiconn, some call it mini balanced, some call it RSA/ALO. Are these all the same or are they slightly different?

The only place that I can clearly see such an item is in the main image from this webpage, but then they fail to mention a Kobiconn option in the possible conenctors type!

http://www.doublehelixcables.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=34

I also can't find such an option on the ALO website, although you can get such a connection if you purchase their entire system of interconnects and cables, where they use 4 pin MINI XLRs which is kind of infuriating!

Not sure if Moon Audio has a stand alone product either without buying one of their "systems".

Does anyone else have any recommendations?

Cheers!

Forza audio works can build you such an adapter. Ask and you will get a quote.
http://forzaaudioworks.com/en/

Sep 3, 2014 at 5:16 AM Post #903 of 1,084
I have the ALO Reference 8 which I used for connecting the stock cable to my balanced ALO output. I am no longer using this since I've replaced the stock cable for the Green line system. If you're interested let me know. Cheers. http://www.aloaudio.com/cables/headphone-cables/reference-8

Hey I checked the link and saw that before and was a bit pricey to start. double Helix will make one and post it for 99. Just seeing if there were cheaper options without having to DIY. Will PM you anyways
anyways.

Sep 3, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #906 of 1,084
Hi Crowdedthehouse.

You might check out the Green Line Cable, comes with a termination of your choice and we offer a variety of additional terminations you can pick up at a later date. 

ALO Green Line Headphone Cable System

Cheers,

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Sep 22, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #908 of 1,084
Does anyone have Alo Continental and how does it compare ?
Mainly looking for clarity, separation and depth and bass character.

Sep 25, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #909 of 1,084
Hi all,

Apologies to bring up a rather dormant thread. I'm pondering on whether or not to pick up a used set of alo rx3 however, I've been warned of a possible hiss issue. I'm planning to use them with custom in ear monitors, from an ipod classic (latest gen), would the hiss issue be present?

Mitchell

Sep 30, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #911 of 1,084
Hi all,

Apologies to bring up a rather dormant thread. I'm pondering on whether or not to pick up a used set of alo rx3 however, I've been warned of a possible hiss issue. I'm planning to use them with custom in ear monitors, from an ipod classic (latest gen), would the hiss issue be present?

Mitchell

Based on the reports of others, it seems that IEM users are most impacted by hiss, so I'm not sure this is the amp for you.
But if your IEMs have unusually low sensitivity you might be ok.  

With full sized headphones, this is a solid choice.  It can also handle high impedance headphones -- really like my Beyerdynaminc DT-990/600 with this
amp.

Sep 30, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #912 of 1,084
^^ totally agree, this amp works best with the over the ear and on the ear HP's, a portable that can compete with desk amps.  

I'm still stocked about the way it works with the AK 100ll balanced out, matched with balanced HP cables my well sourced tunes shine

Very few portable amps work with both a balanced and single-ended input and output

Oct 13, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #913 of 1,084
I just upgraded from the MKll to the MKlllB+, 1st impression:  Significantly more power. There are plenty of desk top headphone amps with less juice. My HD650 is my office HP and they seem to pair better with the medium gain, high gain knocked out the ability to tweek the volume.  So far I haven't heard any hiss or hum, but my understanding is this may be more of an issue with IEM's.  

Over the weekend I'm going to pair with the HD800 and T1 with the MKll3B+.

Any thoughts about a a choice of balanced 4 pin mini as an out to HP's?   

Any other improvements other than more power? Sound stage, clarity, or layering maybe?

Oct 13, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #914 of 1,084
Any other improvements other than more power? Sound stage, clarity, or layering maybe?

Comparison MKlllB+ vs MKll

The imaging with the MKlllB+:  HD800 scales up as does the HD650 (running balanced) and absolutely kills my own FiiO E11

MKlllB+ Pro's :  Longer battery life (I haven't been close to losing power yet, specs say 19+ hours and I believe it)

More power, more of an apples to oranges comparison, running balanced delivers 640 mw into 32 ohms and 150mw into 300 ohms the MKll didn't have that option.

Bass adjustment not an option on the MKll

No stencil rubbing off, a big deal if you had that happen which I did  

MKll Pro's:  Lighter, smaller, and much more portable.  

Less expensive (but harder to find new)  

[size=x-small]With all that being said the MKll could drive my old 600 ohm HP's (AKG K240 [/size]sextett),[size=x-small] a feat my old tube amp the Bellari HA540 seemed to be incapable of.   [/size]

[size=x-small]I think the MKll is a bargain if found in great condition and 1/2 the cost.     [/size]

Jan 22, 2015 at 6:26 AM Post #915 of 1,084
guys i noticed the following that when i use the alo mk3 B and B+ in balanced mode that the volume level with my audeze lcd2 is lower than when I use the alo mk3 B in single mode

my gears are

ipod---ifi idsd- alo mk3 B--- audeze lcd2 rev2

can you please explain to me why the volume level is lower in balanced mode compared to single mode

also what are the benefits of using the balanced mode over the single mode thanks so much

Users who are viewing this thread

Back