ALO Audio RXMKIII Balanced Portable Amplifier Impressions
Jan 22, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #916 of 1,084
Dang, did I really buy the MKIII-B 20 months ago?!?!?  It really doesn't seem like it was that long ago!  It's been sitting, unused for the past 12 months, until I pulled it out of a storage container in my closet & charged her up last night.  I forgot how great this amp is.  I just haven't felt the need to use it since I bought my Vorzuge Pure II a year ago (partly due to smaller footprint of the Pure II since my needs revolve around portability).  What a venerable portable amp!!  ALO did things right w/ the MKIII-B.

Jan 22, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #918 of 1,084
guys i noticed the following that when i use the alo mk3 B and B+ in balanced mode that the volume level with my audeze lcd2 is lower than when I use the alo mk3 B in single mode

my gears are

ipod---ifi idsd- alo mk3 B--- audeze lcd2 rev2

can you please explain to me why the volume level is lower in balanced mode compared to single mode

also what are the benefits of using the balanced mode over the single mode thanks so much

Any comment

Jan 22, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #919 of 1,084
Any comment

I haven't seen this.  But to be fair, I never go back and forth between single ended and balanced.  If I get balanced cables for a headphone, I never go back.  And none of my headphones are as demanding as an LCD 2...

Jan 22, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #920 of 1,084
  guys i noticed the following that when i use the alo mk3 B and B+ in balanced mode that the volume level with my audeze lcd2 is lower than when I use the alo mk3 B in single mode

my gears are

ipod---ifi idsd- alo mk3 B--- audeze lcd2 rev2

can you please explain to me why the volume level is lower in balanced mode compared to single mode

also what are the benefits of using the balanced mode over the single mode thanks so much

You would normally expect the balanced mode to be higher in volume but the reason this doesn't happen with Rx3B+ can be found here. http://www.headfonia.com/the-power-pack-alo-rx-mk3-b/2/

Jan 23, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #921 of 1,084

You would normally expect the balanced mode to be higher in volume but the reason this doesn't happen with Rx3B+ can be found here. http://www.headfonia.com/the-power-pack-alo-rx-mk3-b/2/

Nice link, if the sound is actually lower when balanced and not just the same volume then possible causes include one part of the chain being non-balanced.

I had that happen recently, using a mini XLR out to a non-balanced adapter plug to a balanced HP cable, every piece has to be right

Jan 23, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #922 of 1,084
It is correct balance out on MK3B is lower in volume than it's SE, but it is not about power only. Balance out gives more depth and cleaner output.

AK120II balance out- MK3B balance in/out - LCD2

Jan 23, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #923 of 1,084
It is correct balance out on MK3B is lower in volume than it's SE, but it is not about power only. Balance out gives more depth and cleaner output.

AK120II balance out- MK3B balance in/out - LCD2

Volume seems about the same to me, totally agree about depth and cleaner output!

AK100ll>ALO SXC 24 mini balanced to 2.5mm>ALO MK3B+>ALO Green line HD650
The correct interconnect for Norne Draug2 HD800/LCD3F here any day now

Jan 24, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #924 of 1,084
Oh goodie,
I want to hear our setups with LCD 3 and TH900. It will be the best portable setups ever.

To kick it a notch, I also squeeze in Intruder in the setup.

AK120II balance out>MK3B balance in/out>Intruder se in/balance out> LCD/HD650 silver litz. All hi gain!

It sounds ridiculously amazing.

Jan 24, 2015 at 5:35 AM Post #925 of 1,084
Just a friendly heads-up, if your planning on using the DacMagic Plus with this amp combined with an LCD-2/LCD-3, It's going to disappoint you.

I never realized how dull and lifeless the DacMagic made my music sound until I tried a friends Schiit Bifrost.

Enjoy =/.

Feb 2, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #926 of 1,084
Does anyone else know what it means when the amp flashes somewhat between blue and a purpleish hue quickly when used at fairly high volumes on hard to drive phones? I'm going to assume that it hopefully is just the flickering transition between red and blue warning of low battery.

Feb 2, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #927 of 1,084
  Does anyone else know what it means when the amp flashes somewhat between blue and a purpleish hue quickly when used at fairly high volumes on hard to drive phones? I'm going to assume that it hopefully is just the flickering transition between red and blue warning of low battery.

Low battery and running unbalanced HP's off the balanced setting

Feb 5, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #928 of 1,084

Low battery and running unbalanced HP's off the balanced setting

i have that problem too

I am using my audeze lcd2 rev with balanced cables, and it is connected as following

hp stream 7--- ifi idsd rca----balanced to alo mk3---- balanced audeze lcd2

so how come can i run a balanced headphone with balanced cables from alo and its not balanced so that it blinks between blue and purplish, so u think something is wrong with my cables

so this blinking is what exactly 

Feb 5, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #929 of 1,084

i have that problem too

I am using my audeze lcd2 rev with balanced cables, and it is connected as following

hp stream 7--- ifi idsd rca----balanced to alo mk3---- balanced audeze lcd2

so how come can i run a balanced headphone with balanced cables from alo and its not balanced so that it blinks between blue and purplish, so u think something is wrong with my cables

so this blinking is what exactly 

Something is likely not balanced along the way, unfortunately I have had that happen more than once, a plug, a cable, or even the wrong setting on the DAC will do it.

If you run the same setup off the SE and if there is no problem with that, then you know the path has to be compromised running it off balanced.

In my case I was using a DIY balanced mini XLR to mini-plug out of the MK3B+ but then was using a non-balanced adapter plug into the balanced HP, once I fixed that the upgrade in audio over the SE was impressive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back