ALO Audio RXMKIII Balanced Portable Amplifier Impressions
Aug 12, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #871 of 1,084
its still odd the specs of the alo rx mk3 especially in power do not exceed the fiio e12, can anyone tell me if this amp really is the most powerful portable on the market also been looking at the ibasso pb2 can anyone help out

Aug 12, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #872 of 1,084
Just look back on the previous pages and different reviews, from everything I've seen, this one is just as or more powerful than all the ones you mentioned and can pretty much power just about anything you throw at it.

Aug 12, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #873 of 1,084
I thought the MKll was great, small and compact.  This amp kicks it up a level it has all the power of a desk amp.  
Yes it has a hiss, but I can't hear it with music on, even on low with higher end HP's.

I like the Meier Classic (dead silent)  but this amp compares favorably with it, and its portable, my AKG K240 sextett is the single most difficult HP I own to amp and this has amp has juice to spare.  Plus it has incredible battery life,I can go multiple days without recharging.  I think the hiss is overrated, I spend very little time with HP's on and music off.

There are not a lot of portable amps out there that have balanced inputs and outputs, this is a really nice added feature for those that like to upgrade their HP's.

Aug 14, 2014 at 5:43 AM Post #874 of 1,084
I was wondering if I add the RxMk3 B+ to the hugo how will I benefit from it.

I like the idea that this amp has in means of a bass knob which can be useful from my audeze lcd2 rev2 as I find the audeze and hugo don't give the the bass I look for

what do you think guys?

Is there any other portable amp that has the same bass know like MK3

Aug 14, 2014 at 6:30 AM Post #875 of 1,084

I like the idea that this amp has in means of a bass knob which can be useful from my audeze lcd2 rev2 as I find the audeze and hugo don't give the the bass I look for

what do you think guys?

The bass knob isn't a bass boosting knob.  It's more like a bass tweek.  I am running with the opinion that what is happening is with the bass on, you are adding a small hump, and turning said knob shifts that small hump up and down the bass frequencies....

Aug 14, 2014 at 6:44 AM Post #876 of 1,084

The bass knob isn't a bass boosting knob.  It's more like a bass tweek.  I am running with the opinion that what is happening is with the bass on, you are adding a small hump, and turning said knob shifts that small hump up and down the bass frequencies....

so turning the bass know does it not increase bass , when u compare the knob not turned in compared when u turn it on

Aug 14, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #877 of 1,084

so turning the bass know does it not increase bass , when u compare the knob not turned in compared when u turn it on

From my best estimate, I'm going with the very official term "barely".  I believe there is a very small boost in a small frequency range, and turning the knob shifts the frequency range, not the volume of "boost"...

With that said, I really do enjoy it.  It just a bit of an adjustment, that I like when I switch genres.  And my TH600 do benefit from it...

Aug 14, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #878 of 1,084

what do you think guys?

I have both the RxMk3-B+ and the Hugo (and I love them both).  I did not find any benefit adding the RxMk3-B+ to the Hugo. The direct output from the Hugo handles all of my headphones (including the 600 ohm Beyer DT880) very well when running portably.

Aug 14, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #879 of 1,084

I have both the RxMk3-B+ and the Hugo (and I love them both).  I did not find any benefit adding the RxMk3-B+ to the Hugo. The direct output from the Hugo handles all of my headphones (including the 600 ohm Beyer DT880) very well when running portably.

I don't think he's questioning the power of his Hugo.  I think he's just looking to add more bass to the equation.  Do you think the ALO amp will color the sound to give more bass?

Aug 14, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #880 of 1,084

I don't think he's questioning the power of his Hugo.  I think he's just looking to add more bass to the equation.  Do you think the ALO amp will color the sound to give more bass?

Oops.

No, I don't think it would be anywhere near worthwhile to acquire the RxMk3-B+ just for the bass control.  I like it, but it is a very subtle adjustment and is not really a bass equalization.

If you just want to crank up bass, why not try to find one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Digizoid-Personal-Subwoofer-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B00747N5ZE

Or some other way to equalize/add bass. I had one of those ZO2's awhile back and it worked remarkably well.

Aug 15, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #882 of 1,084
Ugh I want to purchase this amp, but the price is not right at this point. I know the originals are going cheaper, but they are rare and far apart.

Aug 15, 2014 at 5:54 AM Post #883 of 1,084

what do you think guys?

The Lisa (L3) from Triad Audio
http://triadaudio.net

Aug 15, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #885 of 1,084
  If you can pick up a MKll discounted, that's a really nice portable amp.

What's funny is that I've already had and sold my MKII. It was definitely a really good portable amp, but it just didn't power the orthos the way I wanted it to. However, I'm really disinclined to go for a desktop setup due to the fact that college=zero room and books everywhere. I opted for a headstage arrow for the form factor, and although it doesn't give as much of a boost as even the MKII or the same expansive sound that the ALO RXs give, it works pretty well with the other stuff I have.

After reading up on the MKIII, it seems like one of the few that can really give juice to power-hungry phones, even though the specs don't look like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back