ALO Audio RXMKIII Balanced Portable Amplifier Impressions
Feb 21, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #781 of 1,084

i am using the my sennheiser hd650 in my home not as a portable.
is it wise to go for desktop setup for this price range instead of this combo to drive my hd650.

I use the Sennheiser HD650 with the Rx MK3a regularly.  It is a good pairing in that the Rx has plenty of
power to drive these 'phones.  I use the Middle gain setting and this has plenty of oomph -- so there
is power to spare.  It easily enunciates the bass line and gives clear performance.  Instruments are well
delineated from one another.  So I don't think you'd be disappointed.  Of course the Rx also allows balanced
operation if you plan to go that way in the future.

Since you don't need a portable, you really have a lot of options.  If you are interested in vacuum tube 
amplifiers, and are willing to assemble from a kit, then another choice to consider is the Bottlehead Crack
amplifier.  As you'd expect this gives a more "liquid" sound and a bit more life in the sound of winds, strings,
and voices.  The bass is not as tight on the Crack compared to the Rx... but you might or might care, depending
on your preferences.  But the design of the Crack is very well suited to the 650 and gives a well controlled and
nuanced sound. I think not as much ultra separation between channels compared to the Rx.

This says more about my preferences than it does about the amplifier, but I very much like the Rx+HD650
combo for classical music.  It helps pull apart the voices in the orchestra so that symphonic works come
through more clearly and with less muddiness.  Solo instruments differentiate properly. 

ALO also offers a portable vacuum tube amp.  I've not heard this, but may be another choice to consider.

Mar 5, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #783 of 1,084
If you're sincerely devoted to the HD650 then there is one option and then everything else sits back in its shadow: Zana Deux. One of the most sublime pairings in all headfi-dom. Sure, it's more money, but if you don't need a portable solution, save up for an extra few months, put out a wanted classified, and wait and see if someone is willing to let one go. That pairing probably represents the most satisfied period I have had in this hobby.

Mar 6, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #784 of 1,084
If you're sincerely devoted to the HD650 then there is one option and then everything else sits back in its shadow: Zana Deux. One of the most sublime pairings in all headfi-dom. Sure, it's more money, but if you don't need a portable solution, save up for an extra few months, put out a wanted classified, and wait and see if someone is willing to let one go. That pairing probably represents the most satisfied period I have had in this hobby.

I'd argue you'd be better served splitting that coin with a better pair of Cans and a still superior amp. You get get the HD 800s AND a good amp for the price point of the Zana Deux.

Mar 6, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #785 of 1,084
I'd argue you'd be better served splitting that coin with a better pair of Cans and a still superior amp. You get get the HD 800s AND a good amp for the price point of the Zana Deux.

I did say if he was devoted to the HD650 then he should... Besides if we consider a used Zana @ $1500-$1600 I can't think of a very good HD800 setup with that money. Maybe the Sonnet? Anyway, there is a lot one could do for $1500. The point was there is also a lot you can do for the HD650.

Mar 8, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #786 of 1,084
I did say if he was devoted to the HD650 then he should... Besides if we consider a used Zana @ $1500-$1600 I can't think of a very good HD800 setup with that money. Maybe the Sonnet? Anyway, there is a lot one could do for $1500. The point was there is also a lot you can do for the HD650

There is a lot you can do for any headphones, if you really wanted to you could re-cable a pair of Beats and pipe them through on of Peachtree's DACs and then add the Zana. But why would you do that?

The HD650s are very nice headphones, no doubt about it, but why on earth would you use a $1500 (when used) Zana in conjunction with a $400 dollar pair of headphones. The 650s were Sennheiser's flagship until the advent of the 800s, which are superior headphones. Moreover, nothing is going to help improve the sound as much as a good pair of headphones. Sure world-class amps, stand alone DAC units, fancy wiring and so on can help, however you'll be better served with buying superior headphones rather than dropping a grand or two into an amp. 

Mar 13, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #788 of 1,084
I used to have HD650 a few years ago. Would you say they synergize with the MKIII better than the HD800? Would love to test it out first prior to purchase, but I am half the planet away from those ALO guys...

Mar 21, 2014 at 3:25 AM Post #789 of 1,084
Just got my RXIIIB+ back from ALO. Might be a replacement actually. No discernible hiss with my LCD-X. Very happy as shows my Vorzuge Duo, which I have been using in the interim a clean pair of heels in every department except size and weight. 

Mar 21, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #790 of 1,084
There is a lot you can do for any headphones, if you really wanted to you could re-cable a pair of Beats and pipe them through on of Peachtree's DACs and then add the Zana. But why would you do that?

The HD650s are very nice headphones, no doubt about it, but why on earth would you use a $1500 (when used) Zana in conjunction with a $400 dollar pair of headphones. The 650s were Sennheiser's flagship until the advent of the 800s, which are superior headphones. Moreover, nothing is going to help improve the sound as much as a good pair of headphones. Sure world-class amps, stand alone DAC units, fancy wiring and so on can help, however you'll be better served with buying superior headphones rather than dropping a grand or two into an amp. 

Silly comment, from someone who evidently has heard neither headphone or the Zana Deux, but is intimately familiar with the beats. So your entire point rests on Sennheiser's timeline of flagship releases. I suppose in that case people who run their Stax 007's out of $5500 BHSE are doing themselves a disservice by not getting an SR009? Same in the case of Grado RS1 vintage lovers, who prefer this can to the PS1000.

After a while you end up realizing that it's not so simple. An HD650 can give you something that the HD800 can't, just as an 007 can give you something the 009 cannot. Superior makes no difference when the HD650, out of a Zana Deux, makes for some of the most euphoric and euphonic jazz reproduction I've ever heard. You want to know how I know this? I've owned them. There's no conjecture on my part and so I don't resort to obtuse claims of superiority. If one wanted superior they would sell their chains and buy an SR009, but it's seldom about that. Go on the audio journey, try out a lot, buy some, sell some and then you won't need Sennheiser's timeline of flagships to tell you what headphones to buy, which to keep and what amps or wires to pair them with.

Mar 22, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #791 of 1,084
Silly comment, from someone who evidently has heard neither headphone or the Zana Deux, but is intimately familiar with the beats. So your entire point rests on Sennheiser's timeline of flagship releases. I suppose in that case people who run their Stax 007's out of $5500 BHSE are doing themselves a disservice by not getting an SR009? Same in the case of Grado RS1 vintage lovers, who prefer this can to the PS1000.

After a while you end up realizing that it's not so simple. An HD650 can give you something that the HD800 can't, just as an 007 can give you something the 009 cannot. Superior makes no difference when the HD650, out of a Zana Deux, makes for some of the most euphoric and euphonic jazz reproduction I've ever heard. You want to know how I know this? I've owned them. There's no conjecture on my part and so I don't resort to obtuse claims of superiority. If one wanted superior they would sell their chains and buy an SR009, but it's seldom about that. Go on the audio journey, try out a lot, buy some, sell some and then you won't need Sennheiser's timeline of flagships to tell you what headphones to buy, which to keep and what amps or wires to pair them with.

It has nothing to do with their timeline, I find the HD800 to be a superior headphone in virtually every facet to the HD 650 in my experience trying both sets of cans. I'd also like to remind you that this is a portable headphone amp thread, which the Zana Deux is clearly not.

Your condescending language is really unnecessary fyi. Your entitled to have an entirely different opinion than mine, which is totally fine, but you can shelve the holier than thou attitude, thanks! 

Mar 22, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #792 of 1,084
Matt,

There was a discussion on the HD650 and I offered advice based on what I've owned. You then jumped on with your "why in the world would you" talk. Don't do that. Don't take for granted that people here don't know what they're talking about and are in need of your edification on what brings improvement or to what extent. Didn't mean to condescend, but I couldn't take your gross oversimplification either, particularly when you state it as incontestable fact.

Apr 12, 2014 at 6:45 AM Post #793 of 1,084
I recently received a replacement Rx3B+ after my first one had a hum. The new one is whisper quiet and partners really well with my LCD-X, CLAS db. However I noticed that the battery life on this one seemed poor in comparison so I've been measuring it. Used in balanced mode it gives me 10 hours max which seems a far cry from the 19 hours advertised. I suppose that single ended mode would stretch it out a bit. I also use the bass boost most of the time. I wonder if there's an issue with the charger but the green light turns off as it should after charging a few hours on the amp. Any experiences regarding battery life?

Apr 20, 2014 at 2:26 AM Post #794 of 1,084

You could just prefer the sound. Personally, I prefer the HD600 to the HD650, even though the latter are superior. Just because something is better doesn't mean you have to like it more than another thing.

Take for instance: by trade I'm a photographer. My primary lens is a 1998 PC Mikro 85/2,8 ED Nikkor. There is a second version, which I know is superior, but I didn't purchase it. I get on just fine with my older lens. And, while I dig the superior sharpness/contrast of the Leica Summicron 50mm M lens, I really really don't like its OOF draw. It is by all measurable means a better lens, but when I shoot people or even landscapes, it doesn't capture me as much as the older Summicrons from the 60s, or the old Summilux, which, again, are less sharp, less contrasty, and less resolving in the corners. And they are plugged into a camera that may costs 8000$. It's a matter of preference. Now, if the argument was about a headphone's absolute performance, then there would be little to argue. But when a person likes the sound of a certain amp/headphone combination, why not let them enjoy it?

Apr 22, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #795 of 1,084
Howdy folks, i just bought these today, is it an issue if i keep these plugged into the charger whilst i listen? im actually using them as a desktop amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back