ALO Audio RXMKIII Balanced Portable Amplifier Impressions
Feb 4, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #751 of 1,084
  I am thrilled with my HD650's and CLAS -R/Rx Mk3 B+ /Silver Poison Toxic Cable (balanced) combo. I use the high gain setting and color the low end about 20% of the available bass extension. Expansive soundstage, impressive separation and nice dark space. Beautifully musical. Too bad I can't wear them on the trams and metros of Prague without disturbing the general public. That's why I decided to order the "big dogs" from Mr. Speaker. The Alpha Dogs with a Double Helix balanced terminator cable should really light up with the CLAS/Mk3 B powering them. Too bad there's a 6-8 week back order on them. Soon they will be mine, all mine (add sinister cackle here).

I'm going to try your settings next time I try the pairing, since my setup is quite similar to yours.  Thanks for the tip.

I do think the Alpha Dogs will pair very well, maybe better.  Those phones are also on my radar.

Feb 7, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #752 of 1,084
I recently sent in my Mad Dog to be modified to become balanced so I can utilize the extra power the balanced output that my MK3B can give. On SE, my MD already sounds pretty awesome!

Is it better to use the lowest or highest gain possible without significantly sacrificing the volume control, or are there actually no differences?

Feb 7, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #753 of 1,084
I'm going to try your settings next time I try the pairing, since my setup is quite similar to yours.  Thanks for the tip.

I do think the Alpha Dogs will pair very well, maybe better.  Those phones are also on my radar.

I'm not sure if the modifications make a big difference, but I have the Mad Dog which uses the same drivers as the Alpha Dog and it is a great pairing.

Feb 7, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #754 of 1,084
I recently sent in my Mad Dog to be modified to become balanced so I can utilize the extra power the balanced output that my MK3B can give. On SE, my MD already sounds pretty awesome!

Is it better to use the lowest or highest gain possible without significantly sacrificing the volume control, or are there actually no differences?

It depends on where you are on the volume pot. The volume pot on the MKIIIB is pretty good so you can hit near 100% with no distortion on L gain, but M may be safer if you need it to get the right amount of volume.

Feb 7, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #755 of 1,084
  Of course, thanks Themad! 
gs1000.gif

OK, sorry for the delay. I gotta admit the new toy's been around for a week now and I've been having too much fun with it to make any more serious work... 
L3000.gif

REALLY impressive amp! I've been using it to power my HE-500 and must say I don't notice any difference from my HiFiMAN EF-5 amp. I'm not what you can call an expert and my ears are not trained at all, but they both sound equally great powering the HE-500's!
Medium gain is more than enough to drive those! In Low gain I crank the volume pot all the way up to 100% and it doesn't get very loud.

Tomorrow I'll compare the C5 and the Alo RXMKIII with the Earsonics SM64 and post back!

Feb 8, 2014 at 3:45 AM Post #763 of 1,084
  i haven't notice sound quality.
but the short hiss occurs when adjusting volume knob (gain setting mid or high position)
no hiss occurs in low gain position.

If it's only happening when you adjust the volume then I think its a scratching sound which occurs due to dust particles.
It goes away once you fully rotate the volume knob some 5-6 times quickly while blowing air into it. Make sure to unplug the headphones when you're doing this
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back