ALO Audio RXMKIII Balanced Portable Amplifier Impressions
Feb 10, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #767 of 1,084
I have my RX MKIII+ hooked up to my CLAS db, and the only time i hear a hiss is when i'm charging and using the RX in balanced mode. Doesn't matter what gain.  I'm about 90% sure I tried the same thing in SE mode with no hiss.  Not sure if that's normal.  I'm thinking its some type of ground issue.  Reason I think it's that is because if I touch the ac adapter end to the metal body of the RX, I hear the same hiss ( found out by accident).  This is using the original RX ac adapter.

Feb 10, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #768 of 1,084
  I have my RX MKIII+ hooked up to my CLAS db, and the only time i hear a hiss is when i'm charging and using the RX in balanced mode. Doesn't matter what gain.  I'm about 90% sure I tried the same thing in SE mode with no hiss.  Not sure if that's normal.  I'm thinking its some type of ground issue.  Reason I think it's that is because if I touch the ac adapter end to the metal body of the RX, I hear the same hiss ( found out by accident).  This is using the original RX ac adapter.

I have this same issue and was contemplating in the past on sending it back to ALO for them to take a look at, but I'm thinking that they might not be able to alleviate this issue w/ humming in balanced mode during charging/connected to the AC power.

While charging in balanced back-end mode (connected to my computer via USB), if I unplug my laptop charger plug, the buzzing/humming seems to disappear, so I definitely think it's some type of ground issue. At least it's slightly tolerable (very quiet in the background) in low gain, but in medium and high gain you can hear the buzzing pretty clearly which makes charging the amp while listening kind of difficult on medium/high gain (balanced mode.)

Feb 11, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #769 of 1,084

just now only i tried ur scenario. i also get the hiss on adjusting the volume knob when connected in balanced mode( mid and high gain). no hiss in single ended mode. 

Feb 11, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #770 of 1,084
  Once you've set the volume, does the scratchiness disappear? If it does, it's just noise from the volume pot. It's not ideal, but it does occur from build to build. That said, I don't hear scratchiness in mine.

hiss sound disappear when i set the volume. during adjustment i got the hiss. this won't affect my listening.

Feb 11, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #772 of 1,084
  I have this same issue and was contemplating in the past on sending it back to ALO for them to take a look at, but I'm thinking that they might not be able to alleviate this issue w/ humming in balanced mode during charging/connected to the AC power.

While charging in balanced back-end mode (connected to my computer via USB), if I unplug my laptop charger plug, the buzzing/humming seems to disappear, so I definitely think it's some type of ground issue. At least it's slightly tolerable (very quiet in the background) in low gain, but in medium and high gain you can hear the buzzing pretty clearly which makes charging the amp while listening kind of difficult on medium/high gain (balanced mode.)

just now only i tried ur scenario. i also get the hiss on adjusting the volume knob when connected in balanced mode( mid and high gain). no hiss in single ended mode. 

I have to say im kinda glad I'm not the only one experiencing that issue.  Luckily I don't have to charge the RX very often, but yeah it is kinda hard not to notice the hiss.  :-/

refault, you're able to charge the rx through usb? or did I read that wrong?   That's cool if you do, do you need a special type of cable?

jaganee, thanks for the confirmation, i'm wondering if this is a common issue with all RX MKIIIs.

Feb 14, 2014 at 3:44 AM Post #773 of 1,084
may i know the approx life time of the battery in rx mk3 and CLAS db.

i am using the my sennheiser hd650 in my home not as a portable.
is it wise to go for desktop setup for this price range instead of this combo to drive my hd650.

Feb 14, 2014 at 8:28 AM Post #778 of 1,084
Unless you are trying to kill your eardrums, or you like the sound of, say, valve amps, you won't get better than the RX MKIII for normal to loud listening levels with the HD650. It's a preference thing though. Quality wise, you are more than fine. 

Feb 21, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #780 of 1,084
  is painting in the case easy rubbable?

Paint is good and does not rub off in my experience.  I carry mine in my backpack, use it at work and on the bus with no special care.  Still looks quite good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back