ALO Audio RXMKIII Balanced Portable Amplifier Impressions
May 19, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #46 of 1,084
OK, let me re-word my prior question. Can this amp be used with a single-ended input to balanced output, or is it only single-to-single and balanced-to-balanced?

It can definitely be run from single ended source and still power headphones in either single ended or balanced drive.

May 19, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #48 of 1,084
Quote:
!
It can definitely be run from single ended source and still power headphones in either single ended or balanced drive.

But yet no one has provided any comments using singled ended input to balanced out in a comparison to the SR-71B.

May 19, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #49 of 1,084
Only briefly (maybe for about 30-45 mins). All I can say is that I just kept going back to the Rx Mk3 primarily cos of the detail and clarity. To me at least, the (my??) SR-71B seems to have a warm signature anyway.

Note that my Mk3 still isn't fully burnt in yet (I had it running from 10 a.m. -> 8 p.m. straight).

@monotune, do you have any slight channel imbalance with your Mk3 at the lowest volume setting? It doesn't bother me much since I don't listen to that low of a volume anyway but just curious.

I have not noticed any imbalance at all. I was half expecting to. The one time I thought I did I realised it was the actual recording. :) love the MK3 more and more everyday. I find it to be much sweeter than the SR71-B. the SR71-B is to my ears more in your face and clinical sounding.

May 19, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #50 of 1,084
Quote:

Hi monotune.. what is your favourite full size can with your new setup or what cans do you find you are using the most with your CLAS/RX3B

May 19, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #51 of 1,084
Hi, sorry I never tried the Rx Mk2.

Anyhow today I've pulled out the SR-71B instead. Now, in general, I've not really been that impressed with my SR-71B (that's the only one I've tried), but I went out today with an objective mind. Again, today's gear was the iPad3, FitEar TO GO! 334 (and later tried the Unique Melody Merlins), and for the most part, the tracks I listened to were the same with the only exception being Vivaldi's Four Seasons where in this case I just listened to two tracks as opposed 5. You'll see my comments have a similar pattern across most genre and I didn't feel the need to listen to everything I listened to yesterday.

As with the other impressions, these are just notes I wrote of what I thought at that moment. i.e. if anything doesn't gel or make sense, my sincere apologies.

Bill Evans Trio Waltz For Debby (My Foolish Heart & Waltz For Debby)
SR-71B: drum brushes is very apparent up to the point that I found them distracting as it felt it was drowning the other instruments. Possibly strong mid forward/focused? Or I'm too used to the DX100/Rx Mk3 sound signature. In addition, (and if this makes sense), on the SR-71B, the instruments sounded like they had a lisp as opposed to sounding crisp like the RxMk3. The background audience noise is much more apparent but in a 2D way, whereas the RxMk3 sounded more 3D but a little more distant (more depth). In case the readers aren't aware, This album was recorded live, as such the audience noise.

RxMk3: wider soundstage. Cymbals sound more distinct. Clarity in the trebles.

Low Gain/Mid Gain, no difference.

Diana Krall's The Look Of Love (S'Wonderful, Love Letters, Besame Mucho)
SR-71B: voice sounds muffled. Again a tad of that lispy sound. The shaker instrument (is that what you call it??) can distinctively be heard on the right channel but all other instruments rather centric.
RxMk3: Sounds clearer, but in comparison to the SR-71B, the RxMk3 sounds a tad V-shaped. Instrument separation is great! More 3D and encompassing around me. Shaker sounds so crystal clear, whilst other instrument positioning/placement also more easily determined - guess it's due to the wide soundstage and detail, and imaging.

For fun I tried to switch on the Bass...at low levels it's fine, at max it sounds boomy.

Original Footloose Soundtrack (Footloose & Let's Hear It For The Boy)
SR-71B: continues the same trend. To sound mid focused making the RxMk3 sound v shaped by comparison. Is the SR-71B "A shaped" and the Rx Mk3 neutral, or is the SR-71B more hill-shaped and the Rx Mk3 more V-shaped? The treble extensions are there but not forward.
RxMk3: Same story as before.

Black Eyed Peas' E.N.D. (Boom Boom Pow & Rock That Body)
RxMk3's bass extension continues to make me shudder in comparison to the SR-71B despite the RxMk3's bass switch being off. RxMk3 sounds so 3D. The rest of the story is the same as above.

I have to admit, at this point, I find it very hard to find a reason to listen to the SR-71B as it the pattern is doesn't changes (this is on different gain settings too on both amps).

Isaac Stern's Vivaldi Four Seasons (Summer III: Presto then skip to Winter I: Allegro non Molto)
Same story as before. the RxMk3 imaging, clarity is simply superb.

Switching IEMs
Now either I'm either getting very accustomed to the Fit Ear TO GO! 334 or the Rx Mk3 needs more burning in, I find that the UM Merlins today painfully piercing. A few days ago I found the UM Merlins bright/glitzy but today it was almost painful. The UM Merlins were more agreeable with the SR-71B in this respect however the above impressions remain the same, but just not as strongly noticeable. Headphone/Earphone synergy with the amp and/or source is quite critical. i.e. there's no absolute "clear winner" when the earphone/headphone itself is a moving baseline target.

I really want to echo the statements here. The MK3 is very 3D. No better way to put it. The treble extension slaughters the SR71-B. I find the Sr71-B a bit trashy in the high end. The MK3 smooth and silky which allows for longer listening sessions. I find the MK3 in the same family as the MK2 but it is a step up even without the bass knob on but there is no reason not to have that knob on a little bit!!!! :)

May 19, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #52 of 1,084
Quote:
I really want to echo the statements here. The MK3 is very 3D. No better way to put it. The treble extension slaughters the SR71-B. I find the Sr71-B a bit trashy in the high end. The MK3 smooth and silky which allows for longer listening sessions. I find the MK3 in the same family as the MK2 but it is a step up even without the bass knob on but there is no reason not to have that knob on a little bit!!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

I am sure it is very 3D but no one yet has actually made a comparison between single ended input to balanced output for the MK3 vs. SR-71B.  Single ended there are several amps that will best the SR-71B but there are few that can actually do balanced output and this is what I am waiting for, a review of the MK3 in a balanced output mode.  I have three phones that I can run either way; i.e., single ended or balanced and would like to have some comparison from people who happen to have a balanced phone to use.  Monotune, you appear to be one of those per your sig that can do this.

May 19, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #53 of 1,084
Hi monotune.. what is your favourite full size can with your new setup or what cans do you find you are using the most with your CLAS/RX3B

I am addicted to my LCD3's. For me this is my favourite combo. I have tried with some in ears but that is not my thing. Tried with LCD2 which I love!!!! But the 3's have an improved high end that I love.

I would describe with this set up as a home theatre on your head :) huge soundstage, imaging is excellent. I almost feel like there is a subwoofer on ever so slightly. I hear instruments in front and behind me. It is the most fun I have ever had listening to music on the go. Worth every penny of the investment. The only thing I would switch out would be the CLAS when and if they go Balanced with the new version. I think it is safe to say it is logical that they do. So I better get my wallet ready.

May 19, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #54 of 1,084
@monutune - yeah that rumour on balanced CLAS is going around. Not sure if its just that though.. somebody mentions how it would be good to have a balanced CLAS and next thing its going to happen. 

Are you listening to the RX3B with your LCD3's balanced out or Single Ended?

May 19, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #55 of 1,084
Quote:
Monotune, you appear to be one of those per your sig that can do this.

yes monotone.. you have quite a collection of balanced amps there 
evil_smiley.gif

May 20, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #56 of 1,084
Any idea whether this amp can drive the HE-6 adequately ?

Regards,
Joe Ling

May 20, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #57 of 1,084

Regards,
Joe Ling

Quite easily actually. At least in Single Ended, the RxMk3 seems more capable than the SR-71B. I'd guess the same in balanced.

May 20, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #58 of 1,084

Regards,
Joe Ling

I would strongly doubt that any portable amp could drive the HE6 properly. Fine they could get some nice sound out but it is very unlikely to be able to develop the bass texture on HE6. In my opinion even the Lyr doesn't have enough power to really drive the HE6 to its abilities.

I don't have the adaptor to try the HE6 with the Rx3 but I have previously tried the iBasso Pb2 and it couldn't properly drive the He6's. The Pb2 puts out significantly more power than the Rx3 too.

Other people may have different opinions.

May 20, 2012 at 2:31 AM Post #59 of 1,084
yI just had a quick listen to the RX3 balanced versus singled ended driving the DT1350. It was still SE input but running the cans in the different modes.

It was the first time that I have ever tried SE on this amp and I was surprised that it sounded better than I expected. Since it was only a quick listen I won't go into details but the main differences was a slight reduction in the 3D effect and some drop in midrange detail. Attack may have been better balanced as well. The change in mids was the most noticeable difference though

May 20, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #60 of 1,084
Oh yeah. A friend just dropped off some toys. Time to have a listen to the Dx100 compared to the CLAS/Rx3. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back