ALO audio New amp+DAC : "The International"
Feb 8, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #47 of 202
I think I may understand with Pan Am, not certain with Porta Tube. But I'm quite sure I tried my iPad with the hippo cricri+ (this is the tiny gum box one right?) and thought that the iPad +CCK and it said it needed too much power and didn't want to talk to it.

I understand what you're saying about power but I think it's geting into the nitty-gritty details of what happens during the protocol communication exchange between the DAC & the iDevice.

So far the only DAC/Amp that works my iPad are desktop DAC/Amps like the HP-A8 & the Benchmark DAC1 Pre. I've yet to come across a portable DAC/Amp that works with the iPad (in USB mode). So I'll be sure to give that International a shot.

Sorry to go OT for the rest of the audience here.

Edit #1: Just to be clear, I'm not doubting The International specifically as it's proven to work from pix, not to mention your previous statement "....at least with the International.
". But right now I think this is the only portable DAC/Amp that works with the iPad via the CCK (or in the pix, with the Lightning).

Edit #2: I've brought this conversation here: 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/507559/list-of-dacs-that-work-with-ipad/615#post_9136779

AnakChan and Shigzeo,
Keep the conversation going, please. I appreciate both of your insights.
Lots of us have been scratching our heads on how to make our iPads (the 2, mini, and 4) to work with any DACs outside CypherLabs.
It looks as if this International should work but which output -----16 bits or 24? It didn't clarify on their Facebook pics and posts.
Cheers

Feb 8, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #49 of 202
It will be 16 bit via iPad/jailbreaked iPod/iPhone and 24 bit via computer. 

Shigzeo,
Thank you, I can stop scratching now...Lol.

Feb 9, 2013 at 7:26 AM Post #51 of 202
The "International" Mini 24bit/96kHz USB DAC
input can only be connected to an iPod/iPad 30 pin
connector with a LOD to Mini USB cable that costs
about $100 (from ALO).  There is also the amazon
FiiO LOD L9 cable (pure copper) to 1/8 audio
connector to the single end input that costs $10.

If a user rips all his CDs from  16bit/48kHz
audio CDs and his WAV or FLAC files are all
that format is there any benefit to use the
more expesive cable or the FiiO cable is just
fine to connect an iPod/iPad to the amp.

Am I missing something? 

Feb 9, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #53 of 202
Do you just need to "jailbreak" or do you need to install right after a specific app or do something?
Is there a way to know you actually bypass the iphone limitation via a test or an app (kind of before/after test)?

Feb 9, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #55 of 202
Quote:

What is frightening (for wallets everywhere) is that Audiohead thinks the International and Solo -DB in combination adds something to the overall picture

Worth a try at the very least (not visible but backend IC balanced) :-

Feb 10, 2013 at 5:41 AM Post #56 of 202
In my case the ALO "International" amp/DAC will be connected
the following way.  The LCD2s will have a balanced cable (from
Audeze) with an XLR end.  Using the Moon Audio Silver Dragon
adapter (mini 4 pin to female XLR) they will connect to the 
balanced output on ALO Int. 
My only question here is which LOD should I use to get

the best quality output.  The logical option here is the 
ALO 30 pin LOD to Mini USB connector from iPod to
the USB DAC. 
If that is the answer then I am all set. 

Feb 11, 2013 at 6:03 AM Post #59 of 202
Quote:

What is frightening (for wallets everywhere) is that Audiohead thinks the International and Solo -DB in combination adds something to the overall picture

Wonder if the there is the pot scratch noise with the International balanced in/out

Feb 11, 2013 at 6:22 AM Post #60 of 202
Quote:
Wonder if the there is the pot scratch noise with the International balanced in/out

Nope :p. That was my first test when I tried it - clean as a wistle!! Having said that, I tried the Rx Mk3 next to it and there little to no pot scratch either.

Now I'm wondering when I first got my Rx Mk3 last year if there was pot scratch free and developed over time or if it was always like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back