ALO Audio Continental V3 Impressions and Appreciation Thread
Jan 23, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #47 of 145
I just got Rxmk3B and let it break in for around 200 hours (Ken at ALO suggested 150 hours) then compare with SR71B with balanced output of my HE400. Right now Rxmk3B single out has lots of distorted sound on all level of gain when using the Heir 4Ai.

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #48 of 145
I just got Rxmk3B and let it break in for around 200 hours (Ken at ALO suggested 150 hours) then compare with SR71B with balanced output of my HE400. Right now Rxmk3B single out has lots of distorted sound on all level of gain when using the Heir 4Ai.

Jan 24, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #49 of 145
Quote:
Here a few picks. I'll wait for the burn-in for my impressions.

From the pictures, it looks like you're covering the front of the Continental with the DX100 in your stack. I'm curious: could this cause problems because you're blocking the air vents? Tubes get extremely warm, and obstructing the airflow could in theory damage the internals of the amp.

Jan 24, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #51 of 145
Quote:
I actually haven't stacked it for long periods of time. But I asked the distributor and he said it was not a problem. Besides, I've seen lots of rigs with the V2 stacked this way. I'll check with ALO just to be sure...

The continuous and regular build up of the internal heat shortens the life of the Lithium-Ion battery. Over the time the battery cells' capacity to hold the electric charge declines, even more so when they are exposed to heat on the regular basis. Try to keep this amp on top of the stack and if possible you could drill extra holes on the top or at least on the side. Like double the current number of them. The amount of the heat should have no effect on the sound signature of the Continental. The tube is used as a pre-amp / gain tube and is not an output tube.

Jan 24, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #52 of 145
I'll just stack it the other way and it should be find. Anyhow, it's not really a portable rig, so I'm not going to stack it all that much. On the go I'll often use the DX100 alone. Anyway, I am not using the V3 yet as I am doing the burn in to try to get rid of that hiss. I'll soon be at the 100 hour mark and hope it will be enough...I don't feel like waiting 300 hours to use my amp.

Jan 25, 2013 at 4:53 AM Post #53 of 145
I also found the hiss or small cracking noise from the headphone when I switched on the V3 (no music playing).  Hope this will disappear as the update said.  I am using a B&W P5.

I have the V2, but all along, do not find the hiss sound with it.

Sound quality wise, I think the V3 is better than V2.  More HiFi and with an overall improvement.

Jan 26, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #54 of 145
No crackling for me. I didn't hear hiss either, so I just went to test it with the sensitive TG334. Ok there is a slight hiss with no music. But I mean very slight. I didn't know it was there until actually looking for it with music paused. Can't hear it with music. It's non-existent with my GR07 (and sounds fantastic with the GR07). Unit at approx 30 hrs.

Jan 26, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #55 of 145
Quote:
No crackling for me. I didn't hear hiss either, so I just went to test it with the sensitive TG334. Ok there is a slight hiss with no music. But I mean very slight. I didn't know it was there until actually looking for it with music paused. Can't hear it with music. It's non-existent with my GR07 (and sounds fantastic with the GR07). Unit at approx 30 hrs.

That's good to know. All the other reports got me worried for awhile 'cos I was hoping to demo these when they arrive on Japan shores.

Jan 26, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #56 of 145
Quote:

That's good to know. All the other reports got me worried for awhile 'cos I was hoping to demo these when they arrive on Japan shores.

This hiss can be different based on the amp. If you demo it in a store, it will certainly have more than 200 hours of burn in, and certainly no hiss. A new one may have a hiss. After 120 hours of burn in, the hiss in mine is very acceptable with my Miracles. I hope it gets even lower over time...When I talked to ALO about this, they said:

"[size=12.0pt]Since these are made with new old stock tubes, the tube can take some time to quiet down.[/size][size=12.0pt]"[/size]

First impression at this stage, without real testing yet is : great sound, very detailed, very nice space / soundstaging, not bassy, but the bass is very tight and textured. I would say the amp might be a little bright, but cannot be sure yet.

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #57 of 145
I can tell only about my Conti V2, that it is super clean sounding amp, even with my UM Miracle. I think V3 was built in same way, ALO website suggests, that V3 was adjusted to IEMs too, with improved output stage. 

Jan 28, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #58 of 145
Hello Guys,

So after over 150 hours of burn in, the amp is indeed much quieter. But I don't think it can be TOTALLY quiet with IEMs.

However, it does sounds great. Very detailed and airy sound, nice soundstage. It is detailed without being too analytical. I would say the vocals are a bit forward, with a lot of texture, and the amp is more on the bright side. The bass is very tight and well defined, but the lower bass, although well defined as well, does not have a lot of impact. I would not say this is an amp for bassheads, at least as far as IEMs go. The amp is also very dynamic, has very good pace in my opinion.

Anyways, I just wanted to test it and see if I could improve over the amp of my DX100, and it is definitely different, better in some respects. But not extactly what I am looking for (not sure what that is, I will know when I found it :wink: ).

SO I AM SELLING MY AMP IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED, CHECK MY ADD.

Jan 28, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #60 of 145
I'm plenty pleased with the low end of the V3; it has really good punch. After 50 hours the midrange and treble have mellowed to me. The mids sound fat and juicy with the GR07. In fact the GR07 has never sounded better to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back