ALO Audio Continental V3 Impressions and Appreciation Thread
Jan 15, 2013 at 3:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 145

FatmanSize48

1000+ Head-Fier
The new ALO Audio Continental V3 is out!

http://www.aloaudio.com/the-continental-v3

biggrin.gif

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #3 of 145
It's not bright-at least it shouldn't be. The earlier Continental models were warm and tubey.

Jan 16, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #4 of 145
I just returned the National amp to get the Continental V3 for warm and musical sound (with details) but I am afraid of its brightness (there are some tubes lean on bright side I mean not really tubey). I really like the dark sound of the Ray Samuel SR71-B but not lacking details and smoothness.

Jan 16, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #5 of 145
I just received my V3 so have not had much chance to listen to it past 15 or so minutes. I don't think it's bright at all. I am pro tube and my main system is tubes as well. I don't like a 'bright' sound, but I positively loved my short time with the Continental. Hoping to spend allot more time with it tonight family permitting!

C

Jan 17, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #11 of 145
Well, you can stick it in your pocket. So...yes? This is assuming it has similar dimensions to its predecessor. 

Jan 18, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #13 of 145
Mine arrived today. Right out of the box treble was a bit strident but after 20 minutes or so it really started sounding very good. Bass has very good punch and treble is very detailed.  I'm guessing the treble will continue to smooth a bit with use.  Soundstage sounds more open and widened with the TG334.  I'm enjoying the combination so far.

Jan 19, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #14 of 145
Received mine today as well! Right off the bat (as I can recall with v1 and 2) the treble was pretty sparkly but definitely anticipate (and hope) for it to calm down after putting some hours on it. Jazz (ahmad jamal the awakening, art blakey come rain or come shine) sound excellent as they do with all of the other versions - it widens the soundstage (at least to my ears) of my hd650s. Instrument separation is excellent while still staying very musical and fun - not overly analytical. One thing it stays true to is the airiness of the instruments and vocals which I love. I can't directly compare the bass extension but v3 delivers excellent extension - not quite the "slam" that my arrow 3G provides at bass II but distinct/deep and well balanced across the other frequencies. I've owned the continental many a times, but always miss it when it's gone. This one's a keeper for sure!

iPhone (EQ off with jazz/classical, "rock" w/r&b & hip hop to inc bass though it drastically narrows the soundstage and decreases the airiness) -> clas -db single ended -> continental -> hd650

Users who are viewing this thread

Back