ALO-780 vs HD-650
Feb 21, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #16 of 31
I had the Senn HD580 with the usual 600 grill, 650 cable - same frame as the HD650, a bit easier to drive. I also had the HFI 780, and I did fairly extensive damping mods, beyer earpads and a silver plated copper recable, so very similar to the ALO 780. For portable / transportable use, forget the Senns, they are just not something to stuff in a suitcase. The 780's are great for this purpose, though. The 780's are an up-front, bright can with a bunch of bass. Female vocals? you are not in the front row, you are on the couch with her singing in your ear! In the long run, too forward for me, but a fun can. $390 used is a bit rich, I think.

Feb 22, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #17 of 31
Please define female vocal.

Sarah brightman vocal/Eva Cassidy vocal/Evanessence vocal or Diana Krall vocal?

Just because it is a female vocal doesn't means that it will get the same treatment or preference.

If it rock female vocal than HFI-780 is good but not for soul crunching female vocal as when you listen to eva cassidy and the likes.

Feb 22, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #18 of 31
Although 650 scales well and will sound even better on a good home amp....not gonna deny that.........I think it sounds great right out of my Zune with no amp at all, and would venture to say most people would think it sounds great out of a 3move if they were blind tested. Id go for the 650 and save the money. Im wearing mine right now driven from a millet and alien dac with jazz playing through winamp.
I dont see where its so uber hard to drive at all really.
Although they are an open phone and they dont block any noise at all, and would rather use an M-Audio Q40 for a closed full-sized phone or something similar .

Feb 22, 2010 at 2:08 AM Post #19 of 31
Using the hd650 outside is a pretty bad idea. I think that there is no point in having good sound if during the music you hear a bunch of noise not belonging to it, to compensate that you will probably have to raise the volume very high which will cause problems with people around you. With closed cans like the ultrasone even though all the noise wont be blocked it will still be much better.

Feb 22, 2010 at 5:04 AM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jalo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mico, I had both phones (yes, alo-hfi-780) and they are very different. One difference you didn't mention is that if you are going to use it at work, the 650 is an open phone and you may find your coworkers not happy with the sound coming fromn the 650. The 780 is a closed phone and I did listen to it a few times on my flight to HK from US without bothering the passesnger sitting next to me.

In terms of female focal, it is hard to say. I like to listen to chinese female vocal a lot and finds that some female voices that are softer go better with the 650, but I personally liked the 780 sound signature, it is much more dynamic, crispier, personal, upbeat, and immersive than the 650. It is easier to drive with most portable amps. With the 650, yes it is an allround phone, but it seems I get tired of the sound signature much sooner. Besides, your choice of portable amps are limited, the followings are possibility, Lisa III, pico, ALO Rx, SR71a, and the new balanced Protector from RSA seems to be very good if you want to spend the extra money.

The alo-780 is a bargain at $380.00. Where as with the 650, you may still want to get an upgrade cable. Good luck.

Yes...portable amp might not have enough juice for HD650...
and open can really get to others sitting around...

I do listen to some bands and soft rock but not sure if I will like ALO-780 once I listen switch to female vocal or something softer~

Would you say (in terms of female vocal) ALO 780 is more like Ms2 and HD-650 is more like Audio Technica A-950? haha

Feb 23, 2010 at 5:22 PM Post #21 of 31
Thanks guys.

I think I will go for ALO-780...
Since I am too lazy for an stationary amp...(still not sure what amp im getting..maybe 3MOVE?)

And ALO-780 seems to be fine for female vocal as long as they are not like soul or something ultra slow paced...

Feb 23, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #22 of 31
No problem. I am bringing them to the March 20 meet in Melbourne and others can state their opinions too
biggrin.gif
Too bad you're all the way in New Zealand. Nevertheless, I hope you enjoy the ALO-780 when you get them
biggrin.gif
They work best with SS amps IMO. I dislike the tube sound with them quite a lot tbh.

Feb 24, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #23 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No problem. I am bringing them to the March 20 meet in Melbourne and others can state their opinions too
biggrin.gif
Too bad you're all the way in New Zealand. Nevertheless, I hope you enjoy the ALO-780 when you get them
biggrin.gif
They work best with SS amps IMO. I dislike the tube sound with them quite a lot tbh.

I am just thinking portable atm...
maybe 3MOVE? any other good matches thats around the same price?
and is there differences in quality of 6.5mm->3.5mm plugs/jacks?

ps: I am going to Melb' late April~lol

Feb 25, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #24 of 31
I ve finally got my ALO-780.
Only plugging it towards my D2 atm...my only player atm...
Of coz I would need an amp. D2 needs Vol. 30-35 to get it to the listening volume.
I will choose an amp once I get more impression of it and see what I need. But atm, I am still thinking 3MOVE since its one of the cheapest choice available.

Another thing is that I want to give it more 'warmth'...
this headphone is rather neutral so far, more warmth seems to match my taste~
Any amp and cables suggestions?

ps: just realise my D2 don't have lineout!! FAIL!! What should I do?

Feb 25, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #25 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mico /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am just thinking portable atm...
maybe 3MOVE? any other good matches thats around the same price?

Not sure on the cost but you'd really benefit from a desktop amp/DAC ~ even if you were to splurge on a portable amp costing double your headphones you'd still be getting your source music from cowen...

Do you own all the headphones in your sig without an amp?

Feb 26, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #27 of 31
no...i don't own them...they are simply my targets back then and I dunno how to change my sig' on head-fi = ="

Feb 26, 2010 at 4:18 AM Post #28 of 31
Click on quick links then Edit Signature...

Feb 26, 2010 at 1:39 PM Post #30 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mico /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is it under 'View Public Profile'?
i can't seem to edit it...

Here is a screenshot.
snape.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back