ALO-780 vs HD-650
Feb 20, 2010 at 6:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Mico

Head-Fier
I think I am narrowing it down to these two now.
(I am currently in Hong Kong)

I listen to a bit of everything...from Chilies to female vocals, symphony, jap pop etc....want something to be transportable.

Source: Cowon D2 / Mac (only if I get a DAC) / Sony D-J50 (vintage discman)
ps: I play FLAC.

HD-650 new @ $370USD
+ve: can change cable / all rounder / rather cheap / we all know its signature, I can't go wrong with it
-ve: hard to push (not sure if portable amp can push it well) / need money set aside for new cable / mo isolation (open can)

ALO-780 2nd hand offer $390 (new @ $595USD) is it a fair offer?
+ve: 80-90% of Edition 9? / easy to push / good offer price atm / more portable / some isolation (close can)
-ve: not sure if I like it's signature / hard to re-sell? / still...over half of the price gone into its cable...

I think any of these will require at least a portable amp?
I can any portable amp is enough to push ALO-780 but not sure if they can handle HD-650...
Might get CORDA 3 MOVE as they are design based on Sennheisers? And 3 MOVE also has a DAC to use with my MacBook Pro.

What do you guys think?

Feb 20, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #3 of 31
Never used the 780 but it wouldn't be a good idea or comfortable to use the 640 as a portable. Plus its killer to drive. The amp ud need would probably cost the same as the headphone. It'll work with a weaker amp and sound okay but I think I rather try the ALO if it were for portable use

Feb 20, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #4 of 31
780 is less refined than 650 in most every area but it's not very transportable, it's a lot larger, needs a lot of juice typically you will hear everything around you. 650 is best for quite listening at home IMO. My iBasso D10 runs my HD580 well enough so a decent portable amp is good enough.
I would never pay $380 for the 780, it is just not worth that IMO (I had the ALO-780 FYI).
Don't bother with cables, spend your money on source, amp and headphones.

Feb 21, 2010 at 5:36 AM Post #5 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim3320070 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
780 is less refined than 650 in most every area but it's not very transportable, it's a lot larger, needs a lot of juice typically you will hear everything around you. 650 is best for quite listening at home IMO. My iBasso D10 runs my HD580 well enough so a decent portable amp is good enough.
I would never pay $380 for the 780, it is just not worth that IMO (I had the ALO-780 FYI).
Don't bother with cables, spend your money on source, amp and headphones.

So, would you recommend ALO-780?

Feb 21, 2010 at 5:42 AM Post #6 of 31
Thanks for your reply so far guys.

So there are some more to consider.
Portable amp like the 3Move might not be enough to drive the HD650.

My other worry is that ALO-780's signature might be too exciting (up-beat, fast paced) for an all-rounder headphone?
Can someone also tell me some of ALO-780's signature? e.g. warm/cold, up-front/laid back...

PS: I am looking a something transportable...
e.g. from home to work etc...so i suppose HD-650 is alright?

Feb 21, 2010 at 5:49 AM Post #7 of 31
Remember, you should only consider upgrading your cable (if you believe in it) when you're done upgrading your amps and dacs. Simply put, it should be very last on your list.

Feb 21, 2010 at 6:08 AM Post #8 of 31
I think the ALO-780 is wonderful value. I own it and the HF-2. As of now, I think the ALO-780 is worth a lot more than the HF-2. I mainly listen to metal, so that is saying something. The ALO-780 has great quick, deep bass with wonderful extended high's. I would personally get a better amp and source at the same time though.

Feb 21, 2010 at 1:22 PM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the ALO-780 is wonderful value. I own it and the HF-2. As of now, I think the ALO-780 is worth a lot more than the HF-2. I mainly listen to metal, so that is saying something. The ALO-780 has great quick, deep bass with wonderful extended high's. I would personally get a better amp and source at the same time though.

So, do think its performance for female vocal is not so good?

Feb 21, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #10 of 31
I have both the ALO780J and HD650 with Silver Dragon v2 cable and until recently the 780's totally outclassed the Senns on my Solo SRG (whcih is supposed to be very good with the Senns). I listen to rock/metal so factor that into the comparison. The 780's had far greater detail, clarity, punch, speed and more even tonal balance. They made the Senns sound dull and boring!
I recently bought a stock Woo 6se and the gap has significantly closed.
The Woo has given the Senns more clarity,detail,punch and speed. They are also more 3 dimensional and the HF's have been brought out alot more and sound more even and not dark anymore (in isolation, still darker than 'bright' sounding phones).
However the 780's are still my preferred phone because the Woo has improved them as well by providing a bigger more powerful bass,smoother treble and a more full bodied 3 dimensional sound. The fact that the 780's isolate better than the Senns is also a plus.

Feb 21, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #11 of 31
So, HD650 is a problem to push even with a portable amp like 3Move?
And I am starting to worry about ALO-780's ability playing female vocals...

Feb 21, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #12 of 31
So, HD650 is a problem to push even with a portable amp like 3Move?
And I am starting to worry about ALO-780's ability playing female vocals...

Feb 21, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #13 of 31
Well I do not listen to female vocals, but I would imagine it would be very nice, maybe a tad bright.

Feb 21, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #14 of 31
ALO is pretty good with female vocals. I bought mine used for $280 and it's not bad by any means but it's outclassed by the Senn's IMO unless you're into metal and hard rock (that's why I sold it). That is not the Senn's strength. There is a reason the HD650 has been so popular for so long. Please don't get sucked into expensive cables- put your money into hardware like an amp or Dac.

Feb 21, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #15 of 31
Mico, I had both phones (yes, alo-hfi-780) and they are very different. One difference you didn't mention is that if you are going to use it at work, the 650 is an open phone and you may find your coworkers not happy with the sound coming fromn the 650. The 780 is a closed phone and I did listen to it a few times on my flight to HK from US without bothering the passesnger sitting next to me.

In terms of female focal, it is hard to say. I like to listen to chinese female vocal a lot and finds that some female voices that are softer go better with the 650, but I personally liked the 780 sound signature, it is much more dynamic, crispier, personal, upbeat, and immersive than the 650. It is easier to drive with most portable amps. With the 650, yes it is an allround phone, but it seems I get tired of the sound signature much sooner. Besides, your choice of portable amps are limited, the followings are possibility, Lisa III, pico, ALO Rx, SR71a, and the new balanced Protector from RSA seems to be very good if you want to spend the extra money.

The alo-780 is a bargain at $380.00. Where as with the 650, you may still want to get an upgrade cable. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back