All tube amp for HD 650
Dec 12, 2007 at 5:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Grain_Man

New Head-Fier
I know I've been missing out enjoying music by not ever owning a set of headphones. Have'nt purchased anything new in 20 years. Always listen to
my vandersteens and a ss amp. Here's what I have in mind after spending a few days as a Hi Fi member.
Head Phones. senn hd650
Amp. Woo Audio 3+
Dark Voice 336i
Little Dot MK 4se
music source will be ipods for starters. Every member of the family has one.
Will a DAC be needed?
Is the DV 336i an OTL amp?
I'm leaning toward the Woo.
Need to keep it around $1000

thanks

Dec 12, 2007 at 5:51 AM Post #2 of 18
I was in a similar spot where I decided on an HD650 but couldn't decide on an amp. Eventually I was oriented towards one Little Dot Micro Tube, which is a hybrid. Darn compact, and looks good as well.

The best thing being it drives the senns really well from what other owners of this combo told me

Hope this helps...

Dec 12, 2007 at 6:08 AM Post #3 of 18
I have a pair of 650's ( Amazing ), Anyway after reading tonnes of reviews I have finally decided on a Darkvoice 332.

It is on its way to me now so I can't tell you how good it sounds just yet, It should be here early next week.

I think it should be another one to add to your list.

Dec 12, 2007 at 6:45 AM Post #4 of 18
The ASL MG head goes great with a lot of Sennheisers

Dec 12, 2007 at 9:29 AM Post #5 of 18
For tubes, I like the SinglePower PPX3 with the HD-650. A little on the warm side, but not bad. If you're willing to go to $1,000, the PPX3 should be on your list.

Dec 12, 2007 at 9:41 AM Post #6 of 18
I've enjoyed the Woo 3+. I have that and the WA6 also. If only one headphone will invade your life. And that be a Senn 650. The 3+ is the way to go. The WA6 offers more versatility. With a wider range of phones. If your collection grows.

Dec 12, 2007 at 9:50 AM Post #7 of 18
Well, I just love how the Mapletree Audio Design ( MAD ) Ear + purist custom ( close in specs to Purist HD1 ) makes me want to keep listening well into the night on my Sennheiser HD650 and HD600 !

I listen to a broad genre of music and as such I didn't want an amp that "favoured" a particular style of music more than another.

The MAD Ear not only provides liquid smooth vocals and mid-band but it
can drive hard and fast guitar/bass riffs/licks with depth and speed that
is akin to solid state amps. This amps does justice to songs from Mozart to Mellencamp !

Dec 12, 2007 at 10:07 AM Post #8 of 18
Another vote for the Darkvoice 332. Match made in heaven.

Dec 12, 2007 at 11:27 AM Post #9 of 18
With the Vandersteens being a long standing classic, I am fairly familiar with the ability of the speaker to present a real and deep sense of expansiveness.. Also the Adcom is a very detailed Amp that has great control in the lower registers. I think your choice of the Senn 650 is well considered. If you have an opportunity you also may want to audition the AKG 701's. They do not compare with the Senns in presentation but they like the Senns share many of the strengths of the Vandersteens.

All this is assuming you are happy with the speakers and considering the longevity of the 2 line I would think so. As to your question about the 336i you are correct it is transformerless, running an High current, very low output impedance cathode follower output tube, driven by a direct coupled 6SN7GT/GTB. A tube available in an extremely wide range of sound signatures. The Woo is also an excellent choice, as well as the Singlepower PPX3 mentioned by Uncle Eric, an amp that frequently is available in the for sale forum as people climb the upgrade ladder, possibly keeping you within budget. All 3 of those amps are capable of the detail, depth and 'Air' of the Vandersteens. You've obviously done your homework.

An 'iPod may be a starter source, but I suspect you are used to far more detail than will be provided, your CD will serve nicely and provide you with a valid excuse to acquire another CDP if location dictates.
smily_headphones1.gif
I come from a long road of 2 speaker audio I will never abandon, but I have found great enjoyment in the Head-Fi hobby as I'm sure you will too. Real sorry about your future wallet though.
biggrin.gif

Dec 12, 2007 at 11:37 AM Post #10 of 18
I'd get the Singlepower MPX3 for sale here in the for sale forum. (I have zero interest in the sale).
There is also a PPX3 for sale now but IMO the MPX3 is superior and well worth the extra $$$, and well within your budget.

Dec 12, 2007 at 1:04 PM Post #11 of 18
First, let me say welcome to HeadFi!
wink.gif
I would like to recommend the Little Dot MKIVse OTL Tube Headphone Amp/Pre-amp. I have this amp and my favorite headphones to drive with it are my HD-650s. Right out of the box with the supplied tubes, this amp combined with the HD-650s will make your jaw drop! There are several tube rolling options of which none are bad and most are excellent. It is Little-Dot's top of the line offering and is designed for the music lover. It's price will leave money in your pocket and Little-Dot's customer service is one of the best in the market today. I have no affiliation with them, but I would be glad to share my experiences with you. Just PM me.
Have a good hunt, and happy listening!!
biggrin.gif

Dec 12, 2007 at 1:33 PM Post #12 of 18
The greatest value (price/performance) is no doubt either one of the Darkvoice or Little Dot amps, or perhaps the WA 3+. The DV332 is really outstanding with the HD650s - removes their veil and makes them perform - you will be impressed.

Dec 12, 2007 at 4:02 PM Post #13 of 18
Grainman, the Hd650 is a great headphone and all the amps you listed will work well with it, as will those that have been suggested to you like the Darkvoice 332, ASL MG HEAD MKIII and Woo WA6.
The deciding factors will probably be what music you listen to and which amp will get the most suitable sound for it and how much tuberolling you want to dabble in.

I have the Woo6 and been listening to a Hd650 the past few days and it sounds very smooth and beguiling. The build quality and finish is first rate and it is dead silent without any hum or buzz, which is great if you get the itch to try another headphone later.

The Darkvoice 336i or 332 amps would be my budget-minded recommendation, and the extensive tube-rolling information here on head-fi is a great help.

Enjoy

Dec 12, 2007 at 6:31 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The Darkvoice 336i or 332 amps would be my budget-minded recommendation, and the extensive tube-rolling information here on head-fi is a great help.

Enjoy

So would a Yamamoto HA-02, tho I do feel that the Senn 650's lack a little in the dynamic's arena, which is well addressed by the Audio Techinca phones (W1000&W5000) but lack again in fullness of body ...

Dec 12, 2007 at 6:37 PM Post #15 of 18
If you can find one have a look for a Wheatfield HA-2. I had one in my rig for 6 months or more and I never failed to be blown away by it w/ my HD650s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back