ALL OF YOU ARE INSANE
Mar 13, 2008 at 4:37 AM Post #17 of 75
Aye, we do be strong on our passion. Hell, $1000s on a power cord. (Not me) There are folks here pushing $50,000 in just their headphone rigs. While 99.9% of us would never be able to invest that much, we like to romance the thought.

An amp fed from the line out gives much better dynamics and cleanliness to the sound. I had been running my ipod without my amp for a while and just started using it again. I forgot how damn good it sounds.

Mar 13, 2008 at 4:37 AM Post #18 of 75
Not all of us are insane! Some of us are rather frugal.
biggrin.gif

Mar 13, 2008 at 4:47 AM Post #21 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not all of us are insane! Some of us are rather frugal.
biggrin.gif

Keyboard/screen got showered oh Mayor of la-la land.
biggrin.gif

Mar 13, 2008 at 4:56 AM Post #22 of 75
Since I joined these forums in mid-December, I've spent roughly about $1350 on everything in my sig (minus the KSC75, Sony ex51, and Ipod 5gen 30 gig which I owned from before joining HeadFi). I originally meant to buy maybe 2 fullsize headphones (1 open and 1 closed) and 2 amps (1 portable and 1 home). I have gone way generously over my original limit and I don't really see an end in sight:
biggrin.gif

Expensive hobby for sure but well worth it. I am just glad I am not married as I am sure my wife would probably kill me if I was.

Mar 13, 2008 at 5:02 AM Post #26 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just wait until you've been here awhile. At first, a few hundred is east to swallow. When a couple thousand begins to sound reasonable, you'll know you're in too deep. But this place is a terrific support group.
wink.gif

I dissent with this notion. It's when your audio system costs as much as a cheap car, you know you're in too deep.
tongue.gif

Mar 13, 2008 at 5:58 AM Post #28 of 75
Whenever anybody tells me I'm nuts for spending hundreds or thousands of dollars on headphones, amps, cables, etc, I just tell them to look at the thousands people spend on HDTV, surround sound and multi-thousand dollar speaker system which all sound like crap compared to a nice set of headphones, especially reasonably within the same pricerange. With speakers it looks like you have to go 5x to get similar sound quality. Oh, and don't get me started on people with their "car audio" (aka rattling trunk sounding like **** all around the block).

Good luck on your journey into headphone audio.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 13, 2008 at 6:21 AM Post #29 of 75
I guess it is insanity when you're beginning to lose track of what is expensive and what things are worth (especially in the headphone world). I was definitely one to stare jaw-dropped at how much short ICs, and itty-bitty portable amps cost. Now I don't bat an eyelash anymore.

To the OP: research on the Etymotics ER4P/ER4S--they are what really started my drive for that ever elusive 'perfect' sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back