Alessandro Music Series MS1 FAN CLUB!
Nov 23, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #3,076 of 3,117
  The "2009" version are the same as the Grado "i" versions as they went through the same changes, i.e. SR80 vs SR80i.

e.g. my MS1 "2009" version with the rest of the family
normal_smile .gif

no, i'm pretty positive someone on this thread or another said they contacted alessandro and all their current headphones are also the "e" updated version. or maybe im reading what you're saying wrong. 

Nov 24, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #3,077 of 3,117
I exchanged several emails with Alessandro regarding the current MS1.  To summarize:

If you order an MS1 now from the site, the "original' has the flatter, smaller cup. The "2009" version has a larger air chamber or cup that is deeper.   

According to Allesandro, "The new version has a larger air chamber, otherwise all else same.  They have all the new parts as used in the Grado [e-series] line". "The larger air chambers sound better. With the larger chamber we extended the bass response and openness of the phones. We were going to discontinue the old version but some people liked the compactness".  

So the e-series derived driver is the same in either the "original" or the "2009" version.   Only the cups are different between the two. All other parts are from the current e-series line. 
The original gets you the more compact flatter cup.  The new version (2009 version on the website) gets you the larger cup.

Nov 25, 2015 at 12:06 AM Post #3,078 of 3,117
  I exchanged several emails with Alessandro regarding the current MS1.  To summarize:

If you order an MS1 now from the site, the "original' has the flatter, smaller cup. The "2009" version has a larger air chamber or cup that is deeper.   

According to Allesandro, "The new version has a larger air chamber, otherwise all else same.  They have all the new parts as used in the Grado [e-series] line". "The larger air chambers sound better. With the larger chamber we extended the bass response and openness of the phones. We were going to discontinue the old version but some people liked the compactness".  

So the e-series derived driver is the same in either the "original" or the "2009" version.   Only the cups are different between the two. All other parts are from the current e-series line. 
The original gets you the more compact flatter cup.  The new version (2009 version on the website) gets you the larger cup.

Thanks for clarifying.  Think I'll go with the newer version as I like the design better.  Plus, those are the ones usually used the the MS1000 mod.

Feb 16, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #3,079 of 3,117
Got myself two MS1's this month.

The thing was that I was looking around for ages to buy one second hand but no one was selling. I wanted to dip my hand into some modding so I did not want to buy a brand new one. Out of desperation I finally decided to go directly to the Australian reseller who also was out of stock
cool.gif
, but fortunately by chance they had a refurbished MS1e available (broken headband).
smile.gif
  It was not a complete bargain ($93) but hey what could I do!
rolleyes.gif

Then the very next day after I had just paid for the MS1e an advert surfaced for a MS1 for $35!!! So I thought "What the hell I'll buy that one also."
So now I have two.
beerchug.gif

biggrin.gif
 I'll use the MS1e as reference and I'll mod the MS1.

Just completed a 4 hole vented mod on my MS1 and what a nice surprise. Maybe next the MS1000
Anyone know where you can buy some distance pieces?

May 28, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #3,080 of 3,117
I was tempted to revive my old Ms1i, but the pads are painful. Can I use something made for the GRADO PS1000/GS1000 on them?
Like these:
https://www.amazon.it/OULII-Cuscini-ricambio-Earpad-PS1000/dp/B01AJWDKKU

May 28, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #3,081 of 3,117
I was tempted to revive my old Ms1i, but the pads are painful. Can I use something made for the GRADO PS1000/GS1000 on them?
Like these:
https://www.amazon.it/OULII-Cuscini-ricambio-Earpad-PS1000/dp/B01AJWDKKU
yes. But you'd have to do the ms1k mod. There's a thread on headfi which you can easily find on google. Sorry I'm on my phone

May 29, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #3,083 of 3,117
IMO it won't. I can't stand the sound. Actually if you can get to any carpentry it would be very easy. Tell them you need a cup that can go with the headphones and they'll measure it for you. 10 minutes and it's done.

May 30, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #3,084 of 3,117
  Got myself two MS1's this month.

The thing was that I was looking around for ages to buy one second hand but no one was selling. I wanted to dip my hand into some modding so I did not want to buy a brand new one. Out of desperation I finally decided to go directly to the Australian reseller who also was out of stock
cool.gif
, but fortunately by chance they had a refurbished MS1e available (broken headband).
smile.gif
  It was not a complete bargain ($93) but hey what could I do!
rolleyes.gif

Then the very next day after I had just paid for the MS1e an advert surfaced for a MS1 for $35!!! So I thought "What the hell I'll buy that one also."
So now I have two.
beerchug.gif

biggrin.gif
 I'll use the MS1e as reference and I'll mod the MS1.

Just completed a 4 hole vented mod on my MS1 and what a nice surprise. Maybe next the MS1000
Anyone know where you can buy some distance pieces?

I found the MS-1e to have a much wider soundstage then the original, do you agree?

Jun 1, 2016 at 6:39 AM Post #3,088 of 3,117
It seems to me it's the S (flat) that you put inside, not the L.

But why would you put the S inside the G? Does it change the sound? I've always thought that without any modication the Gs would ruin those Grados that would normally use S or L cushs

Jun 1, 2016 at 7:42 AM Post #3,089 of 3,117
It seems to me it's the S (flat) that you put inside, not the L.

But why would you put the S inside the G? Does it change the sound? I've always thought that without any modication the Gs would ruin those Grados that would normally use S or L cushs

When you buy the bowl pads they also sent some mini s pads which are designed to go over the drivers. The bowls then go on as normal. Actually the mini s pads could be used with the L pads also.

Still experimenting with combinations but I really like the sound with the above configuration

Users who are viewing this thread

Back