Alessandro Music Series MS1 FAN CLUB!
Jun 7, 2007 at 3:49 AM Post #1,471 of 3,117
Shoegaze" will be an easy one to remember. I'll just recall the statement I learned as a little kid going to school and just started noticing such things.

"Patent leather shoes always reflect up"!

Multiple sets of cans are King!!

Jun 7, 2007 at 11:16 AM Post #1,472 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrookR1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ordered the 414 pads but to me, they seem too similar to the comfy pads, and since I already have the bowls, I don't need to quarter mod the 414s.

If you occasionally find the bowls too bright/sibilant, reversed quarter-modded HD414s keep the majority of the detail (but not all) but back off of the brightness that many people find uncomfortable. Think of them as 'mellow-bowls'. Definitely not identical sound.

Jun 7, 2007 at 12:18 PM Post #1,473 of 3,117
Quote:

These things really kick butt with shoegaze. This music by nature is light, airy, cavernous, but laden with distant guitars faraway drumbeats, and sometimes synthesizers. Emphasis is on the highs and the MS-1s really work well. They bring out the detail in the instruments that are placed way back behind the others. You can pick out each instrument when listening to the wall of sound. If you get a chance, listen to some songs by Lush, the Cocteau Twins, Kitchens of Distinction, Ultra Vivid Scene and other types of dream pop/shoegaze.

I still prefer my SR-80s for harder bass-laden rock like the Arctic Monkeys, Van Halen, and NIN. There's a bit more punch to the music for the trade off of a little less detail.

DISCLAIMER: all of the observations in the following paragraph involve the use of bowl pads for both the SR-80s & MS-1s. Both cans had 48-72 hours of cumulative burn in time (music & pink noise).

BrookR1: I agree with the overall spirit of your assessment although I find the MS-1 highs a shade less edgy (read: painful) than the SR-80s to my ears. Still, they are pretty close. These cans are great with music like you describe, a well as folk & acoustic rock. To my ears, they are also better performers with classical music than my SR-80s. The SR-80s were far too bright with intense string/brass based classical, with the mids getting drowned out from time to time. However, the SR-80s are better at harder, bassy rock...really impactful punch! The impact & bass punch of the MS-1 can be improved by the use of bowls (IMO)...not as good as the SR-80s, but certainly acceptable, especially since I find that the MS-1's slightly less shrilly highs (IMO) and more articulate mids are significant improvements to my ears. A more 'refined' sound perhaps?
wink.gif

Bottom line, I am pleased I replaced my SR-80s with the MS-1s, but I do miss the SR-80s when I am having a serious rock-out session. Note, I was not 'blown away' by the sound of the MS-1 over the SR-80, but the MS-1s are more compatible with the wide range of musical genres represented in my collection. Also, because the MS-1s have better neutrality, they can be competently morphed into different sound signatures using different pads without being overly excessive in the lows, mids, or highs. If the return period on my SR-80s had expired, it probably wouldn't have been worth it to replace them with the MS-1s (I would have gone to the SR-225s), but I am glad that I was able to do so without significant financial repercussions.

Jun 7, 2007 at 12:49 PM Post #1,474 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAmish /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DISCLAIMER: all of the observations in the following paragraph involve the use of bowl pads for both the SR-80s & MS-1s. Both cans had 48-72 hours of cumulative burn in time (music & pink noise).

BrookR1: I agree with the overall spirit of your assessment although I find the MS-1 highs a shade less edgy (read: painful) than the SR-80s to my ears. Still, they are pretty close. These cans are great with music like you describe, a well as folk & acoustic rock. To my ears, they are also better performers with classical music than my SR-80s. The SR-80s were far too bright with intense string/brass based classical, with the mids getting drowned out from time to time. However, the SR-80s are better at harder, bassy rock...really impactful punch! The impact & bass punch of the MS-1 can be improved by the use of bowls (IMO)...not as good as the SR-80s, but certainly acceptable, especially since I find that the MS-1's slightly less shrilly highs (IMO) and more articulate mids are significant improvements to my ears. A more 'refined' sound perhaps?
wink.gif

Bottom line, I am pleased I replaced my SR-80s with the MS-1s, but I do miss the SR-80s when I am having a serious rock-out session. Note, I was not 'blown away' by the sound of the MS-1 over the SR-80, but the MS-1s are more compatible with the wide range of musical genres represented in my collection. Also, because the MS-1s have better neutrality, they can be competently morphed into different sound signatures using different pads without being overly excessive in the lows, mids, or highs. If the return period on my SR-80s had expired, it probably wouldn't have been worth it to replace them with the MS-1s (I would have gone to the SR-225s), but I am glad that I was able to do so without significant financial repercussions.

I'll agree. The thing with me about the SR-80s is that to me they have a slight veil that rounded off the highs a little. Very slight. but the extra energy, they can still send those highs straight through your brain. It's like the MS-1s are an octave higher and the SR-80s focus more on the bass. I would like to see graphs of the two to see which can is more neutral only because the SR-60s displayed more neutrality than the MS-1s.

Jun 7, 2007 at 1:35 PM Post #1,475 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup! Same type of experience; but with a twist! I am currently listening to some nice Ventures guitar music and writing about Alessandros! But the twist is; I'm listening with HD600 at the moment!
blink.gif

Yeah; really! Some days I have a fairly bad case of Tinnitus. Today is one of those days.
frown.gif

The ringing is a bit annoying and when I want to listen to the brighter side of things I don't really wish to hear the highs quite as pronounced. So out come the HD600 and the highs just aren't as obvious, even the internal ones!
600smile.gif

I also have Tinnitus and most days it's all good. Some days my ears just can't take the highs and mids. I've just received the Grado bowls and they just seem to expose the highs even more. I should receive my 414 pads in the next 2 days and will try them. I'm thinking of looking at the HD650s..I hear they are a little darker. Are they the same signature as the HD600s?

Jun 7, 2007 at 2:03 PM Post #1,476 of 3,117
Quote:

It's like the MS-1s are an octave higher and the SR-80s focus more on the bass. I would like to see graphs of the two to see which can is more neutral only because the SR-60s displayed more neutrality than the MS-1s.

Ditto. I've searched everywhere for SR-80 freq graphs to no avail.

Jun 7, 2007 at 2:08 PM Post #1,477 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrJingles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I should receive my 414 pads in the next 2 days and will try them.

Make sure you try them quarter modded & reversed! Bowl-like performance, but takes the edge off of the highs while maintaining much of the Grado detail. Much less fatiguing. BTW, I have mild tinnitus as well.

Jun 7, 2007 at 6:50 PM Post #1,478 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrJingles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also have Tinnitus and most days it's all good. Some days my ears just can't take the highs and mids. I've just received the Grado bowls and they just seem to expose the highs even more. I should receive my 414 pads in the next 2 days and will try them. I'm thinking of looking at the HD650s..I hear they are a little darker. Are they the same signature as the HD600s?

I have the bowls on my MS2i and the reversed and modded 414s on my MS-1. The MS2i "seem" a tad brighter than MS-1 right from the start since the highs are extended a bit beyond MS-1. So I can actually use my MS-1 a bit more often if there isn't too much ringing since between the inherent lower level of the highs, plus the calming effect of the 414s the MS-1s are a bit less irritating in that respect.

As far as the HD600 vs HD650, my take on it; having not heard HD650; is that the HD650 has a slightly darker over-all signature with noticeably more bass(some find it excessive)but yet the total SQ is a bit better with HD650. The HD600 is more neutral with a more airy demeanor and a bass very similar to the Alessandros' in being more naturally presented. The word "veiled" comes up more often with HD650, and the phrase "synergy with remainder of system" is a major mantra that begs to be heeded to get the best of them(and, coupled with after-market cables, will help lift the veil).

...whew; I thought I lost this for a moment!
wink.gif

Jun 8, 2007 at 8:16 AM Post #1,479 of 3,117
Reading all of the comments, I really can't wait till my MS-1 arrived... George already told me that it would take 2-3 weeks. Its already 3 weeks now. I really want to compare it with SR125 with bowls and 414 pads.

Jun 8, 2007 at 8:40 AM Post #1,481 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by stefanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Reading all of the comments, I really can't wait till my MS-1 arrived... George already told me that it would take 2-3 weeks. Its already 3 weeks now. I really want to compare it with SR125 with bowls and 414 pads.

Do you have the 125s? That's a comparison I'm really interested in.

Jun 8, 2007 at 11:18 AM Post #1,482 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by nfsu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2
Why is it taking so long?
frown.gif
I just want to put MS1s on my head...

With a shop as small as Grado, all it takes is two people on vacation, and the whole place falls behind!
blink.gif

...Ok; just a theory. But hey; it could be true!
tongue.gif

Jun 8, 2007 at 11:22 AM Post #1,483 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by stefanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's strange. I ordered mine on May 31st and received them on June 5th.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back