Alessandro Music Series MS1 FAN CLUB!
Jun 3, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #1,456 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by unclejr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Happened to mine as well. If my grado amp wasn't sitting on a shelf in brooklyn right now (Approx 6 weeks, I guess), I'd send these in with the quickness. Admittedly, I'm less than pleased with the build quality. My SR-80s were fine a couple of years ago.

Funny...my new MS-1s are much more tightly put together overall than the SR-80s I returned. My MS-1 headband is less loose (clamps better) and the metal rods that allow the ear cups to be extended are much harder to adjust (a good thing). I suspect build quality may be quite variable. Good thing the drivers are consistently sweet!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 4, 2007 at 2:56 AM Post #1,457 of 3,117
Hi Everyone! I'm back!!
blink.gif

I have again fallen in love with my MS-1!
smily_headphones1.gif

Wha...?

While the kids were asked to clean out their desks of old school items they no longer wanted...to make room for next school years stuff...an old Beatles CD mysteriously reappeared on my computer desk. I haven't really listened to it since I stopped using my MS-1 when the MS2i arrived. But there it was so I slapped it into the CD player and listened with MS2i...Yippee, my CD's back!

.....uh; no; not really, no. No "yippee" after all. Huh? What's wrong here?

Well; I didn't really feel like I was right there in the studio with the group. They were a little stand offish this time.
frown.gif

So I plugged in the MS-1 and there I was; right back in there with them again! Wahoo!!
biggrin.gif

The larger soundstage of the MS2i which is most welcome most of the time was actually taking away some of the intimacy from the experience.

So it appears I have moved my MS-1 from portable and computer puttzing, back to "serious listening" status!!

cool.gif

Jun 5, 2007 at 7:24 AM Post #1,458 of 3,117
Man, for what I paid for them I thought I got the better end of the deal. Pleasantly surprised. Rolling Stones and my Red Tomahawk and MS-1's ROCK!!

Jun 6, 2007 at 4:52 PM Post #1,459 of 3,117
Ok all, I finally received my MS-1s and they're wonderful. This is my first set and I'm really impressed. They're in the process of burning in right now, but I've been sneaking short listening sessions. My question is, how can other cans that are substantially more expensive sound so much better?

Jun 6, 2007 at 5:04 PM Post #1,460 of 3,117
After 2.5 mths, I'm still on my MS-1..waiting for my local store to stock the MS-2. These phones does get better with age.. rocking good phones.. but noticed the lack of soundstage makes this phones bad for my listening when I'm tired... The instruments sounded too close and fatiguing.

Jun 6, 2007 at 5:11 PM Post #1,461 of 3,117
Hey Corsair. So moving up to higher end cans deliver more soundstaging, transparency...etc? Basically, it provides more all around details, depending on it's characteristics....like taking the MS-1 and putting it on steroids?

Jun 6, 2007 at 5:21 PM Post #1,462 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrJingles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Corsair. So moving up to higher end cans deliver more soundstaging, transparency...etc? Basically, it provides more all around details, depending on it's characteristics....like taking the MS-1 and putting it on steroids?

Yet to get my MS-2... but according to anecdotes, it seem so.
I find the MS-1 delivers pretty good transparency already.
But between MS-1 and MS-2, I think the answer is best left to F107plus5.

Jun 6, 2007 at 11:38 PM Post #1,463 of 3,117
I just learned a lesson that I'm sure many of you already know and have experienced. I decided, for the first time, to take my new portable rig in my Tahoe, which has a relatively quiet cab, and noticed that I had to turn up the volume above what I normally do and found that the bass was very enemic and the highs/mids were harsh. I was using the MS-1s and Corda Porta amp and thought there was something wrong with one or the other. I got back to the house and immediately realized that the sound discrepancy had to do with the low frequencies of my truck....WHEW! I am now, with joyous relief, typing this and listening to Kenny Loggins - "Outside From The Redwoods" and loving it!
Have any of you had the same type of experience?

Jun 6, 2007 at 11:58 PM Post #1,464 of 3,117
Quote:

My question is, how can other cans that are substantially more expensive sound so much better?

I own both the MS-1 and the top-of-the-Alessandro-line MS-Pro and compared them using my home system (see sig). The biggest sonic difference I hear is the greater decay you hear with the MS-Pro...notes gradually rather than rapidly disappear. Other differences: greater sense of space, more open sound; tighter bass, greater clarity in treble, more texture in midrange. The MS-1 sounds compressed and conjested.

Having said all that, the MS-1 is still a great can when listening to it on its own.
biggrin.gif

Jun 7, 2007 at 1:05 AM Post #1,465 of 3,117
OK...after listening to these more, they're starting to grow on me. I actually found a genre that these things excel at. This genre happens to be one of my favorite, so I've decided to hold onto these. I'm using the Grado bowl pads with the MS-1s. I ordered the 414 pads but to me, they seem too similar to the comfy pads, and since I already have the bowls, I don't need to quarter mod the 414s.

Onto the genre...

These things really kick butt with shoegaze. This music by nature is light, airy, cavernous, but laden with distant guitars faraway drumbeats, and sometimes synthesizers. Emphasis is on the highs and the MS-1s really work well. They bring out the detail in the instruments that are placed way back behind the others. You can pick out each instrument when listening to the wall of sound. If you get a chance, listen to some songs by Lush, the Cocteau Twins, Kitchens of Distinction, Ultra Vivid Scene and other types of dream pop/shoegaze.

I still prefer my SR-80s for harder bass-laden rock like the Arctic Monkeys, Van Halen, and NIN. There's a bit more punch to the music for the trade off of a little less detail.

Jun 7, 2007 at 3:23 AM Post #1,466 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by corsair /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After 2.5 mths, I'm still on my MS-1..waiting for my local store to stock the MS-2. These phones does get better with age.. rocking good phones.. but noticed the lack of soundstage makes this phones bad for my listening when I'm tired... The instruments sounded too close and fatiguing.

Ok; confession time.

There are times, like when I'm listening to really close recorded music that just begs to be intimate, that I prefer my MS-1 to the significantly larger soundstage on my MS2i. It's a trade off of SQ vs presentation of course, but if intimacy is really required, the MS-1 really fit the need!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 7, 2007 at 3:28 AM Post #1,467 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by corsair /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yet to get my MS-2... but according to anecdotes, it seem so.
I find the MS-1 delivers pretty good transparency already.
But between MS-1 and MS-2, I think the answer is best left to F107plus5.

With my system with my ears with my music choices....yup.

YMMV.
tongue.gif

Jun 7, 2007 at 3:37 AM Post #1,468 of 3,117
Quote:

I just learned a lesson that I'm sure many of you already know and have experienced. I decided, for the first time, to take my new portable rig in my Tahoe, which has a relatively quiet cab, and noticed that I had to turn up the volume above what I normally do and found that the bass was very enemic and the highs/mids were harsh. I was using the MS-1s and Corda Porta amp and thought there was something wrong with one or the other. I got back to the house and immediately realized that the sound discrepancy had to do with the low frequencies of my truck....WHEW! I am now, with joyous relief, typing this and listening to Kenny Loggins - "Outside From The Redwoods" and loving it!
Have any of you had the same type of experience?

Yup! Same type of experience; but with a twist! I am currently listening to some nice Ventures guitar music and writing about Alessandros! But the twist is; I'm listening with HD600 at the moment!
blink.gif

Yeah; really! Some days I have a fairly bad case of Tinnitus. Today is one of those days.
frown.gif

The ringing is a bit annoying and when I want to listen to the brighter side of things I don't really wish to hear the highs quite as pronounced. So out come the HD600 and the highs just aren't as obvious, even the internal ones!
600smile.gif

Jun 7, 2007 at 3:38 AM Post #1,469 of 3,117
I got my MS-1's on Monday and they have been burning straight since. I just got my modded KSC-75's today. I could have Larry recable the MS-1, But God knows when I would get them back. I could send them to Alex at apuresound and have them recabled like my Koss. Beautiful work, great sounding headphones, you can tell the difference. Do I want the same on 2 pairs of headphones? He will get them back in a few days like nothing? decisions, decisions???????

Jun 7, 2007 at 3:43 AM Post #1,470 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by kontai69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own both the MS-1 and the top-of-the-Alessandro-line MS-Pro and compared them using my home system (see sig). The biggest sonic difference I hear is the greater decay you hear with the MS-Pro...notes gradually rather than rapidly disappear. Other differences: greater sense of space, more open sound; tighter bass, greater clarity in treble, more texture in midrange. The MS-1 sounds compressed and conjested.

Having said all that, the MS-1 is still a great can when listening to it on its own.
biggrin.gif

I have to repeat all the fine comments levied toward the MS-Pro when I talk about my MS2i. I can't say though that I notice quite as much of a major difference in decay. But everything else applies!!(as much as with MS-Pro? I dunno, can't say.)
tongue.gif

But there is quite a large improvement in SQ!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back