Alessandro Music Series MS1 FAN CLUB!
Jun 9, 2007 at 2:47 AM Post #1,501 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by senny-ftw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I placed my order with Alessandro 5/24. Shipped 5/30 to UK via airmail...

...not here yet. I hate waiting!!

I know what you mean!!
smily_headphones1.gif

sometimes it takes tooo damn long!

They'll worth it!

Jun 9, 2007 at 11:41 AM Post #1,502 of 3,117
Finally, my waiting game is over. Today, I picked my MS1 from post office. First I really afraid because custom people has deteriorate the box, so I check my phone closely and really glad that nothing bad happened.

OK, my first impression... The sound is typical grado but the mid and the highs is really weird. So I change comfies with bowls and really glad that I can hear again my lovely grado sounds... First things I noticed is it sounds pretty closed with SR125, but with a tiny bit more bass and a little more dark than my SR125. But i am not yet burn it, so I think it will be changed.

so far I'm really glad of this phones, because it feels just like SR125 but has a mini plug, so it will be a match pair for my nano.

Tx for a great recommendation on this phone guys.

Jun 9, 2007 at 3:50 PM Post #1,504 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by stefanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Finally, my waiting game is over. Today, I picked my MS1 from post office. First I really afraid because custom people has deteriorate the box, so I check my phone closely and really glad that nothing bad happened.

OK, my first impression... The sound is typical grado but the mid and the highs is really weird. So I change comfies with bowls and really glad that I can hear again my lovely grado sounds... First things I noticed is it sounds pretty closed with SR125, but with a tiny bit more bass and a little more dark than my SR125. But i am not yet burn it, so I think it will be changed.

so far I'm really glad of this phones, because it feels just like SR125 but has a mini plug, so it will be a match pair for my nano.

Glad you like it man!!

look forward to hear to your conclusion!

Cheers!

Jun 18, 2007 at 12:16 PM Post #1,506 of 3,117
Ok as promised... I've already pink noised my ms1 for around 20-30 hours, and play with music for another 30 hours this week. Man this really a busy music week for me. Here we go SR125 vs MS1... I used several mp3 (192kbps to 320kbps) and apple lossless files such as song sung blue (jheena lodwick), hotel california (eagles), knockin on heavens door (gnr), baiao de 3, lost and everything (buble), my grandma & penghu bay (chiao peng-basso1), summer of 69 (bryan mtv unplugged)

both phones using my ipod nano 8gb 2nd gen and ipod video 80gb, and bowl pad with kramer's basshead mod.

Conclusions: like my initial impressions, both really sounds familiar, if you just listen for only 5-10 minutes, you won't hear the differences. Both has a great gradoish treble and forward mids. But after a while you will notice a light warmer and more enjoyable feelings on MS1 especially on jazz music. I think ms1 has more "character" and less fatigue and less boring. On rock and live music performance I like both phones. One sounds more live, other more warm.

the definite difference are in bass or low freq, MS1 has more juiced in this department. Every song I hear has a deeper bass on Ms1 than SR125.

again, I think both are really really similar, maybe this is just my ears. Also I don't have any portable amp, so maybe that could differ both of this phones.

I'm really happy with MS1 just because it can exceed my expectation and really optimized ipod internal amps.

That's it folks...

Jun 18, 2007 at 3:28 PM Post #1,507 of 3,117
Great review! Thanx!

It really helps to hear a comparison like that. I have not heard ANY Grado model, so it really helps add to my data base to assist with any future decision making, or even in trying to help others when they have a similar question.

Thanks again, good stuff!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 18, 2007 at 4:26 PM Post #1,508 of 3,117
stefanus, your conclusions are the same as when I switched from the MS1 to the 225. The MS1 definitely is fuller in the lows.

Jun 18, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #1,510 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by eddiewalker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love my MS-1's so much I just went for the MS-2s. The comfies aren't that bad. I think I'm the only person who likes them LESS after the "quarter mod."

It'll be interesting to see which pads you end up with on your MS2i. I use different ones on my MS2i than I use on my MS-1, but that's just me, and we all hear differently!

....I see you got a fresh Upgraditus Bug in your Pizza box too!

Jun 18, 2007 at 7:09 PM Post #1,511 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It'll be interesting to see which pads you end up with on your MS2i. I use different ones on my MS2i than I use on my MS-1, but that's just me, and we all hear differently!

....I see you got a fresh Upgraditus Bug in your Pizza box too!

You know, I've been playing with them all day, and the bowls were super uncomfortable at first, but they're growing on me. They sound much better, but lack that "hug" from the comfies.

Jun 22, 2007 at 1:51 AM Post #1,513 of 3,117
Okay. Comfies this and BOwls that. I know that the comfies are the default pads that come with it.. But where in the world are the bowls? Grado website? Grado bowls? ANY bowls?

Hard to install? (Never had full-sized phones before, sorry.) And are you agreement here that the bowls increase soundstage?

Tankya.

Jun 22, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #1,514 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by dissembled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay. Comfies this and BOwls that. I know that the comfies are the default pads that come with it.. But where in the world are the bowls? Grado website? Grado bowls? ANY bowls?

Hard to install? (Never had full-sized phones before, sorry.) And are you agreement here that the bowls increase soundstage?

Tankya.

Cool! The bowls are the pads that come on all Grado phones from the SR-80 on up,(less the GS1K)and the Alessandros from MS2i up to the...uh...MS-Pro.
rolleyes.gif

Originally John Grado phones shipped with the Flats, but rumor has it that Johns' ears got older(like mine)and he made the bowls to better match his ears.

...well; that's the rumor, anyway.
tongue.gif

Easy to install, they all have the same mounting diameter!

Less easy to agree! Thankfully, pads are cheap and pad rolling is fun!

...I have reversed and modded 414s on my MS-1 and Bowls on my MS2i. But that's just me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 22, 2007 at 4:26 AM Post #1,515 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by stefanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

hi i'm new here, i'm from indonesia too
i'm also interested in ms-1, but i don't know how to order them, can you give me heads up? already PM u too

btw how ms-1 sounds compared to SR125? is it much better or just slightly better? my taste of music is rock, jazz, sometimes pop or techno, does ms-1 fit this genre?

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back