Alessandro Music Series MS1 FAN CLUB!
Apr 28, 2007 at 12:19 AM Post #1,322 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by kontai69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I impulsively ordered the MS-1's yesterday and look forward to receiving them.

In the meantime, I will just have to make do with my measly MS-Pro's in my home rig.
biggrin.gif

How did I miss this post!!??
very_evil_smiley.gif

EDIT: Naw; I didn't forget to add the bit about the MS-1s being potentially addictive. Somehow it just doesn't seem to fit.
plainface.gif

...for the rest of Y'all, though!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 28, 2007 at 12:35 AM Post #1,323 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How did I miss this post!!??
very_evil_smiley.gif

EDIT: Naw; I didn't forget to add the bit about the MS-1s being potentially addictive. Somehow it just doesn't seem to fit.
plainface.gif

...for the rest of Y'all, though!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, I don't have to watch out for the proverbial upgrade bug biting me when I open the MS-1 box, heh-heh.
biggrin.gif

I bought the MS-1 to compare to my SR-60's. While SR-60's sound great (even through an old soundcard), the bass can be a little too much for my tastes (using bowl pads even). Hope that the MS-1 is a little tamer in this regard.

Besides, I think the MS-1 would be a better complement, both sonically and cosmetically, to that "other" can I'm using.
wink.gif

Apr 28, 2007 at 2:33 AM Post #1,324 of 3,117
Wow... they're kicking my butt all over again. I've been listening to them for a few hours tonight, and they're getting a bit intense (Moloko - Catalogue)... I find that the sound gets fierce once your ears sink into the pads for a while.

Apr 28, 2007 at 2:39 AM Post #1,325 of 3,117
My bowl pads are finally beginning to soften up and don't irritate my ears after 5 mins of use
smily_headphones1.gif

I might get some flats and compare them with the bowls and decided which one I like more.

oh and thank you f107plus5 (sorry don't know your name), for the amp recommendation. I will put it on my list of things to check out.

although at that price range I think I would be better to get the ms2 and maybe then invest in an amp further down the road.

Apr 28, 2007 at 7:50 AM Post #1,326 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by reivaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
very nice. i bet you had a big smile on your face when the package first arrived!

i know i did and never regretted it lol

I took off work 2 hours early to intercept the mailman and when the package arrived I almost pee'd myself.
tongue.gif

I love these phones, the sound is more forward than my old K240S', but I find myself enjoying them more, or I guess enjoying the music more. I literally can't put them down. They are a little impractical for work (they sound kind of poo-like out of my phone, and they bleed too much sound), which makes me want to call in sick and stay home with them
icon10.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic
I might get some flats and compare them with the bowls and decided which one I like more.

They feel like a million bucks on my head. I ordered the large bowls at the same time as the phones thinking I would want to upgrade, and I actually don't like the bowls at all. I have a pretty big melon and the bowls sit funny on my ears, but the stock softies sit perfectly.

Apr 28, 2007 at 12:23 PM Post #1,329 of 3,117
Well after 4 days the MS1s continue to amaze me. I am not a person who could do reviews and describe sound . I am a mid-fi guy. A couple observations.
Even though these are the "plastic" ones , they exude quality.
They have the same quality I look for in speakers. The bass is there when it's there! (Jennifer Warnes Way Down Deep) . Nice mids (Great Vocals) I listened to the Brothers in Arms Cd and it was a Religious experience.
They do not isolate at all. Good - I can here the phone ring Bad - I need the volume up if my wife is watching TV.
Iriver drives them fine. Close to Same vol settings as PX100s.
Dealing with Alessandro was great. Emailed about shipping date and got an email within a couple hours from George A. With a 215 area code they must be in Philadelphia. Has anyone visited them?
Have a great weekend all!

Apr 28, 2007 at 2:10 PM Post #1,330 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Parisis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dealing with Alessandro was great. Emailed about shipping date and got an email within a couple hours from George A. With a 215 area code they must be in Philadelphia. Has anyone visited them?
Have a great weekend all!

Yeah, I was wondering this too - do they have a brick and mortar shop?

Apr 29, 2007 at 5:46 AM Post #1,331 of 3,117
ok, this has been bugging me for forever. So many people are so misinformed about the MS-1s.

The MS-1s are not a rebadged grado anything. They have completely different drivers the of the SR-60/80/125/225 or any other grado. The MS-1s are not refined versions of any of these phones. Theyre completely different.

please please spread this around, its just pissing me off. Too many people are spreading bad info around the board.

Apr 29, 2007 at 6:45 AM Post #1,332 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok, this has been bugging me for forever. So many people are so misinformed about the MS-1s.

The MS-1s are not a rebadged grado anything. They have completely different drivers the of the SR-60/80/125/225 or any other grado. The MS-1s are not refined versions of any of these phones. Theyre completely different.

please please spread this around, its just pissing me off. Too many people are spreading bad info around the board.

John was apparently quite tight-lipped on the subject during his interview. However it seems safe to assume that he started with one of the preexisting phones in the Prestige linup and modified it to fit Alessandro's needs. I think it's quite clear to everyone that the drivers are at the very least tuned differently, and I doubt they were completely redesigned from the ground up. So the level of difference between the MS-1 and SR-_ drivers seems a bit hazy. The consensus seems to be that the MS-1 is closest to the SR-125 (I believe because the MS-1 has the "improved UHPLC voice coil"?) Anyone who knows better than me feel free to correct me, just trying to sort this out...

Apr 29, 2007 at 6:59 AM Post #1,333 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by umcloud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
John was apparently quite tight-lipped on the subject during his interview. However it seems safe to assume that he started with one of the preexisting phones in the Prestige linup and modified it to fit Alessandro's needs. I think it's quite clear to everyone that the drivers are at the very least tuned differently, and I doubt they were completely redesigned from the ground up. So the level of difference between the MS-1 and SR-_ drivers seems a bit hazy. The consensus seems to be that the MS-1 is closest to the SR-125 (I believe because the MS-1 has the "improved UHPLC voice coil"?) Anyone who knows better than me feel free to correct me, just trying to sort this out...

well from my ears, the 125 or any of the prestige series sounded anything like the MS-1 (well since I'm thinking about it, the MS-1 sounded the closest to the 225s, like a less detailed, less colored 225)

I think its safe to say that the MS-1s DONT have the same drivers as any of the prestige series. or if you want to be technical, theres no proof that theyre the same or theyre different. (or is there???)

Apr 29, 2007 at 11:37 AM Post #1,334 of 3,117
As a budget fanatic(One of those people who buys a new washer and looks at the Sunday ads for a month to make sure I got the best price) , I have to admit I am curious as to where the $99 MS1s fall in the Grado line.
I could not find Grados at a store in my area so I was forced to buy without auditioning. My choices were the SR60 ,Sr125 and the MS1. I chose the MS1 because of this thread and at least the perception that they were a better value than the others. I still have never heard the other models but am extremely satisfied with the MS1s. Thanks all.

Apr 29, 2007 at 12:26 PM Post #1,335 of 3,117
My favorite way of looking at the value question is to realize that the materials used in the MS-1 are the same as the SR-125, less of course the more expensive bowl pads which are replaced with the inexpensive "comfy" pads which can then easily be replaced by whichever pads the listener prefers at a lesser price cause the comfies aren't such a financial loss if they aren't eventually used! Yeah; I know that's rationalizing of the highest order.
plainface.gif

The other thing missing is the ID button. A surprisingly expensive little item to both produce and install!

And they throw in another 2db more efficiency with the MS-1 as well!
smily_headphones1.gif

....part of the value offset though, and something to watch out for, is the expense of the MS2i if that pesky upgraditus bug bites! Otherwise; yeah, the MS-1 is an excellent value at that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back