Alessandro Music Series MS1 FAN CLUB!
Jan 13, 2007 at 7:47 AM Post #856 of 3,117
Ok... I am COMPLETELY optimistic that they will arrive on Monday (today is Saturday). If they don't, then I am COMPLETELY optimistic that they will arrive on Tuesday. If they don't, then I am COMPLETELY optimistic that they will arrive on Wednesday. If they don't, then I am COMPLETELY optimistic that they will arrive on Thursday. If they don't, then I am COMPLETELY optimistic that they will arrive on Friday. If they don't, then I am COMPLETELY optimistic that they will arrive on Saturday. If they don't, then I will email Alessandro and ask why they HAVEN'T arrived yet.
biggrin.gif

Jan 13, 2007 at 7:19 PM Post #857 of 3,117
I have a question regarding quarter modding the pads. I 'shed' (for lack of a better term) quite readily, and am worried that if I cut a hole in the pads that hairs will get into the driver. Is that something I should be worried about?

Jan 13, 2007 at 7:30 PM Post #858 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by meuler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a question regarding quarter modding the pads. I 'shed' (for lack of a better term) quite readily, and am worried that if I cut a hole in the pads that hairs will get into the driver. Is that something I should be worried about?

One thing I do without fail everyday, is check my pads for anything that can cause the dreaded "Grattle"!!

....."Grattle" is the "Grado Rattle" that happens when hair gets caught in the drivers and gives off a very unfortunate sound until it's removed. I haven't heard it myself, but I've heard OF it often enough that I've built up a fear of it ever happening!!

Actually there is a chain of though that dictates that if the pad covers the entire driver, that hair is even MORE likely to get trapped and cause even more potential problems.

Who knows.

A good way to look at it is, all the higher Grado/Alessandro models use pads that are open to the drivers, so you are at least in good company!!

Just check 'em everyday or so, and you should be alright!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 13, 2007 at 8:14 PM Post #859 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One thing I do without fail everyday, is check my pads for anything that can cause the dreaded "Grattle"!!

....."Grattle" is the "Grado Rattle" that happens when hair gets caught in the drivers and gives off a very unfortunate sound until it's removed. I haven't heard it myself, but I've heard OF it often enough that I've built up a fear of it ever happening!!

Actually there is a chain of though that dictates that if the pad covers the entire driver, that hair is even MORE likely to get trapped and cause even more potential problems.

Who knows.

A good way to look at it is, all the higher Grado/Alessandro models use pads that are open to the drivers, so you are at least in good company!!

Just check 'em everyday or so, and you should be alright!
smily_headphones1.gif

I had forgotten that the higher models had pads which exposed the drivers. Knowing that makes me feel a lot better about trying the mod out. Thank you.

Jan 14, 2007 at 1:53 AM Post #860 of 3,117
well i just noted a sudden change in the kick pedal sound as well as bass overall... its gotten more pronounced though sounds a tad bit looser(may just be the songs ive listened to recently)

Jan 14, 2007 at 1:56 AM Post #861 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by reivaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well i just noted a sudden change in the kick pedal sound as well as bass overall... its gotten more pronounced though sounds a tad bit looser(may just be the songs ive listened to recently)

So it responds well to burn in? I'm planning to burn mine in with Pink noise...

Jan 14, 2007 at 4:54 PM Post #862 of 3,117
I ordered a pair of MS-1s last week, largely due to the universal praise I see heaped on them everywhere. I wanted something that I could use with my Zune while on the road, and for rock on my home system. I love my K501s for classical. These seemed to fit the bill. I thought about a pair of SR60s so that I could get a feel for Grado, but after reading many posts on the subject it looked like the MS-1s would be a better bet in the long run.

I was a little worried about Alessandro's customer service. When I placed the order, it duplicated and I got two receipts with two separate order numbers. I called Alessandro to straighten it out and someone answered on the first ring.
rs1smile.gif
He had the duplicate order issue taken care of and said that he expected that they'd have new stock and my order should ship sometime this coming week. Hopefully that last bit will be helpful to anyone else who has placed a recent order.

Jan 14, 2007 at 9:49 PM Post #863 of 3,117
YAY! They arrived today
biggrin.gif

First of all, I love it how its got Mr. Alessandro's signature on the custom's declaration! Now I have his autograph
tongue.gif

I am surprised how thick the cord is. It's great to know that it will take a severe beating before it breaks, and theres also NO way it can tangle, being so thick.

I wasn't very impressed with how the stock comfies felt. They seemed kinda scratchy on my ears, and they heated up quite alot during use. After switching to the HD414 pads however, it feels great! I don't know why everyone is saying how uncomfortable it is. The HD414's also slightly improve the sound.

Now onto the sound: Its great! It has a similar sound signature to my KSC-75's, except with better bass and is more up-front. However, I cannot help but saying that I am slightly disappointed with how they sound. I expected something so good it made me do backflips... I got something good, but not ultra-uber-spazzo good. Yes, I agree, they sound great. But not as great as I expected.

At the moment, I am burning them in with Pink noise. I'm not sure if I will quarter mod them, but I will defnantly frasey-mod them by putting yellow foam on the headband, and replacing the plastic grilles with yellow mesh
biggrin.gif

Jan 14, 2007 at 10:00 PM Post #864 of 3,117
Quote:

Now onto the sound: Its great! It has a similar sound signature to my KSC-75's, except with better bass and is more up-front. However, I cannot help but saying that I am slightly disappointed with how they sound. I expected something so good it made me do backflips... I got something good, but not ultra-uber-spazzo good. Yes, I agree, they sound great. But not as great as I expected.

At the moment, I am burning them in with Pink noise. I'm not sure if I will quarter mod them, but I will defnantly frasey-mod them by putting yellow foam on the headband, and replacing the plastic grilles with yellow mesh

First quarter mod for quick help, and then prepare to get Bowl pads at some point.
tongue.gif

Jan 14, 2007 at 10:12 PM Post #865 of 3,117
Glad to hear that they finally got to you, and getting an autograph is cool too!!

The cable thickness is a blessing at that. My Grandkids managed to get my MS-1s tangled in their computer chair and did the spin-around number before they realized it. Took a few good sized chunks out of the insulation but didn't manage to do any serious damage and they sound just as good as ever.
tongue.gif

Speaking of the sound; when I received my MS-1s back in March I wasn't all that excited either. After they and/or my ears broke into each other, it wasn't but a few months later that I ended up going for the MS2i. So give them and your ears a while to get used to each other and they will get better.

I can't say for sure much about actual break-in as I was in the process of going from comfies to 414s to modded 414s to more modded 414s to reversed and modded 414s while I was getting used to them. I ended up sticking with the reversed and modded 414s and that's how they've stayed!

I tried the bowls on the MS-1s just for fun and found the difference in sound with them un amped to not be worth the loss in comfort and stability I get with the reversed and modded 414s with my smallish sized ears. Again; that's jusy MY ears! Surprizingly, I find the bowls to be more comfortable on the heavier MS2i, so all's cool! There was a benefit to the bowls on the MS-1s, but it wasn't as obvious without an amp. With an amp it just may well be worth the swap!!

For anyone contemplating the heavier MS2i with bowls; I managed to get in a fourteen hour listening marathon with them with no problem. So they ain't bad indeed!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 15, 2007 at 12:49 AM Post #866 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
YAY! They arrived today
biggrin.gif

First of all, I love it how its got Mr. Alessandro's signature on the custom's declaration! Now I have his autograph
tongue.gif

I am surprised how thick the cord is. It's great to know that it will take a severe beating before it breaks, and theres also NO way it can tangle, being so thick.

I wasn't very impressed with how the stock comfies felt. They seemed kinda scratchy on my ears, and they heated up quite alot during use. After switching to the HD414 pads however, it feels great! I don't know why everyone is saying how uncomfortable it is. The HD414's also slightly improve the sound.

biggrin.gif

thats good to hear..................now it's time to change ur sig. dont forget to post some pics after ur done doing the "frasey" mod.

Jan 15, 2007 at 12:55 AM Post #867 of 3,117
Quote:

Hype tends to do that
tongue.gif

Jan 15, 2007 at 5:00 AM Post #868 of 3,117
Damn... I can't decide whether to quarter-mod the 414 pads... I can't seem to bring myself to do it for some reason...

They cost me $25NZD... Quite alot. And I don't really want to ruin them. I'm scared that if I mod them, they will become uncomfortable...

I also don't really know how big a quarter is, not being in USA. Could someone give measurements or a pic?

Jan 15, 2007 at 5:05 AM Post #869 of 3,117
Quote:

Damn... I can't decide whether to quarter-mod the 414 pads... I can't seem to bring myself to do it for some reason...

They cost me $25NZD... Quite alot. And I don't really want to ruin them. I'm scared that if I mod them, they will become uncomfortable...

I also don't really know how big a quarter is, not being in USA. Could someone give measurements or a pic?

Mass: 5.670 g (0.182 troy oz)
Diameter: 24.26 mm (0.955 in)
Thickness: 1.75 mm (0.069 in)

tongue.gif

Jan 15, 2007 at 5:09 AM Post #870 of 3,117
well the sudden change in sound was after like around 300+ hours of listening... im thinking i might have put even 400 hours on it so far

also the sound was really flat but i did notice the instrument separation when i first got them and i loved that and its even better after burn in. the sound improves but not dramatically at first

Users who are viewing this thread

Back