Alessandro Music Series MS1 FAN CLUB!
Jan 10, 2007 at 10:04 PM Post #841 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyKarma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would think so. My SR225 used to sound like little speakers to everyone else when I had them on, but my MS-1s don't seem to leak as much.

Maybe because MS1 has plastic grills vs 225 with metal grills?I'm thinking about replacing the plastic grills with metal ones,this should give a more open/better sound.

Jan 11, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #842 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by eduj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe because MS1 has plastic grills vs 225 with metal grills?I'm thinking about replacing the plastic grills with metal ones,this should give a more open/better sound.

That's kind of what I was thinking. Let us know how it works out!

Jan 11, 2007 at 1:14 AM Post #843 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have quite big ears, but I think I'll stick with the 414's as well coz I like the funky yellow colour
rs1smile.gif

Agreed, the funky yellow color is awesome! I like the sleekness and comfort of the comfies though, I can't wait to try them quarter modded
eggosmile.gif

Jan 11, 2007 at 5:19 AM Post #844 of 3,117
Quote:

Agreed, the funky yellow color is awesome! I like the sleekness and comfort of the comfies though, I can't wait to try them quarter modded
eggosmile.gif

Lol im gonna buy some yellow foam for the headband so it matches
biggrin.gif

Jan 11, 2007 at 7:20 AM Post #846 of 3,117
have u ever sparked up a conversation due the ww2 design of ur beloved ms-1???
here is mine, a co-worker of mine saw my ms-1 wrapped-up in plastic( i was tryin' to protect them). realizing that these cans have a somewhat special value to me, he then asked me some real odd questions like "are thoose as much expensive and as good as BOSE". i just gave him a quick nod and smiled, it would take too much time to explain it.

got ur own exprience w/ ur ms-1????

Jan 11, 2007 at 7:44 AM Post #847 of 3,117
I just ordered a set of MS-1s based off of the impressions in this thread, and I can't wait
biggrin.gif

Jan 11, 2007 at 12:55 PM Post #849 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by phergus_25 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the grills on the MS-1 are metal, or all the ones Iv delt with are.
-greg

They're plastic, how long ago was it that the MS-1s had metal grills?
confused.gif

Jan 11, 2007 at 4:05 PM Post #851 of 3,117
Quote:

That's kind of what I was thinking. Let us know how it works out!

I heard that changing the mesh grill does open up the sound up alittle bit. Its quite funny how the MS-1 is very sensitive to the mods.

For those who want to do something alittle more drastic, making the driver cups alittle deeper and moving the grills further away from the drivers also makes a bigger soundstage.

*Though i've only read this stuff, not even brave enough to reverse quartermod my comfies yet*
plainface.gif

Jan 11, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #852 of 3,117
Headroom's shipping is amazing! I ordered the comfies yesterday and they were waiting for me this morning (from Montana!). Anyway, I quarter modded them and the sound is incredible.. the best sound I've heard from a headphone! I highly recommend everyone to quarter mod their comfies
rs1smile.gif

Jan 11, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #853 of 3,117
Iv delt with around 9 pairs, and the ones i checked were metal, not normal Grado mesh, but still metal.
-greg

EDIT: one of the pairs has metal grills, the rest are plastic. odd.

Jan 11, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #854 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by WillKhitie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those who want to do something alittle more drastic, making the driver cups alittle deeper and moving the grills further away from the drivers also makes a bigger soundstage.

Yeah. Theres a whole page of mods for Grados and Alessandro's here http://headwize.com/projects/showfil...=grado_prj.htm

Scroll down the bottom, and you'll see the sock-mod that I'm planning to do, to make my MS1's almost circumauraul. I'll try it with some yellow socks!
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Anyway, I quarter modded them and the sound is incredible.. the best sound I've heard from a headphone! I highly recommend everyone to quarter mod their comfies
rs1smile.gif

Wow! I wonder how different the sound is between quarter modded comfies and quarter modded 414's?

Jan 11, 2007 at 11:27 PM Post #855 of 3,117
I am absolutely loving these. I downloaded the Ultrasone reference CD and was very impressed with these cans (first track must be binaural, it sounds awesome).

I can't help but think that the bowls would give much more sound stage than quarter modded anything. I put my QM 414s on today and wasn't sure I like them as much as the included comfies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back