Alessandro Music Series MS1 FAN CLUB!
Jan 11, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #1,891 of 3,117
I'm thinking about making my MS1 more 'fashionable' .. with HD414 yellow pad, leather headband and wooden earcup from Jaben
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 11, 2008 at 10:38 PM Post #1,893 of 3,117
MS1 it's a great headphones. I also own a Grado RS-1 and there's not so much difference between those cans..for sure the RS-1 is a better headphone with tighter and fuller bass and more refined mids and highs but the MS-1 is very close..a steal at that price

Jan 12, 2008 at 5:56 AM Post #1,894 of 3,117
So I've been avoiding Head-Fi for a while since getting the MS-1s. The reason? I was enjoying my music way too much. Seriously. These cans do wonders with guitars that just make me want to burst out into air-guitar mode. Also I've been burning them in with music to let them settle in. After the initial 2 week period, I have to say they sound great. I had to move back to my dorm for the new term so I had to leave them behind at home (too open for dorm room use). I miss them!

However one thing I did notice was that I felt it was overly fatiguing. I'm used to wearing headphones for hours on end (5+ with my HD595s) but with the MS-1s I can only manage roughly 2 before it starts to feel tiring. I then have to rest a bit before putting them back on but I guess that's good for my ears. Anyway they're definitely a good contrast between my HD595s.

Next step for me is to try the various pads (bowls, HD414, bowls+414) to see if they can help with the comfort issue.

Hope you're all enjoying yours too!

Jan 12, 2008 at 7:06 PM Post #1,895 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by supermoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I've been avoiding Head-Fi for a while since getting the MS-1s. The reason? I was enjoying my music way too much. Seriously. These cans do wonders with guitars that just make me want to burst out into air-guitar mode. Also I've been burning them in with music to let them settle in. After the initial 2 week period, I have to say they sound great. I had to move back to my dorm for the new term so I had to leave them behind at home (too open for dorm room use). I miss them!

However one thing I did notice was that I felt it was overly fatiguing. I'm used to wearing headphones for hours on end (5+ with my HD595s) but with the MS-1s I can only manage roughly 2 before it starts to feel tiring. I then have to rest a bit before putting them back on but I guess that's good for my ears. Anyway they're definitely a good contrast between my HD595s.

Next step for me is to try the various pads (bowls, HD414, bowls+414) to see if they can help with the comfort issue.

Hope you're all enjoying yours too!

If you have small ears and use bowls, the comfort is great after you adjust the headband slightly outwards to lower the pressure. I have noticed that Grado's don't need much clamping force. Just enough that they rest on your head and ears and don't fall off.

Jan 12, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #1,896 of 3,117
If I haven't already said something on this thread, I'd just like to be counted as a fan of the MS-1s. They're my favourite headphones.

Jan 26, 2008 at 7:08 AM Post #1,897 of 3,117
I just returned MS2s after spending a week trying to hear a dimes worth of difference between the MS1s and 2s. I'd place a driver from one phone on one ear and the other phone's opposite driver on the other. After endlessly repeating this and other close order drills, I finally gave up when I realized I couldn't hear any difference worth $300 and if it took this much effort to even try to hear it, it certainly wasn't worth the steep price increase. This shouldn't be interpreted as damning the MS2s but it may say something about how good the MS1s really are. In the end I realized I wasn't seeking the very best Grado/Alessandro sound. All I really wanted is a phone that gives me a nice taste of that unique Grado "funishness" without being caught up in all the hair spliting and quibbling that the finely wrought distinctions in the Grado line seem to engender.

Jan 26, 2008 at 7:40 AM Post #1,899 of 3,117
I find I can enjoy all Grados, from my lowly iGrado/SR-60/MS-1 to my HF-1 and RS-2 to my HP-2.

I don't hear a big difference, but more of a gradual change as I move up the line along the model numbers. The improvement going from MS-1 to stock RS-2 wasn't huge but it is there. But, jump right from SR-60 to the RS-2 or HF-1 and the change is more dramatic. Likewise, the change from APS re-cabled RS-2 to HP-2 isn't that big again.

However, I can still divide up the ones I've owned into 3 levels (or stages) of sound, where they are more alike than not, until the next step.

iGrado/SR-60/80/MS-1

HF-1/RS-2 both with APS cable

HP-2

Jan 27, 2008 at 10:41 PM Post #1,900 of 3,117
are they backed up again on the ms1's??

edit: *sigh...I went ahead and ordered them....hoping they come relatively soon!

Jan 29, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #1,901 of 3,117
I got my ms-1s really quick a couple of weeks ago. It took 3 days from ordering to receiving. I love these phones more every time I listen to them. The ksc75s are also a favorite. I thought I liked the hd555s just as much, but I find them to warm and distant now. I wish the ms-1s were as comfortable, though.

Jan 29, 2008 at 4:22 AM Post #1,902 of 3,117
Chillk, do you find that theres too much clamping force? Bend the headband. Also, I think the DT770 pro pleather headband can fit over the regular headband to make it more comfortable.

If your ears are getting hot, well that happens to me too. (but then, I do keep them on for ~5)

Jan 29, 2008 at 10:42 AM Post #1,903 of 3,117
I really like my MS-1s, though I haven't listened to them much lately, but I agree that they're a bit too tight and make my ears really hot and sweaty after a while.

I usually needed to take breaks every hour or so when they were my primary headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back