Alessandro Music Series MS1 FAN CLUB!
Jul 14, 2007 at 3:29 AM Post #1,606 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by porschemad911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can safely say I love mine. I've even gotten used to the slightly unnatural midrange (in comparison to K-501 only, in isolation it's fine).

The only thing is, I've also got a HD-650 and a Graham Slee Solo on the way, so I feel sorry for my poor little MS-1 when they arrive ... but we'll see, perhaps I'll be stunned, shocked and astonished at just how much value they offer?

Well; if you enjoy a wide range of music you may just have a lot more fun than you might expect!

I routinely jump back and forth between my MS-1/MS2i and my HD600. Ain't no music out there that one or the other can't cover!
smily_headphones1.gif
600smile.gif

....to be honest; the MS2i and HD600 are a lot closer in actual SQ than MS-1 and HD650 will be, but it still may be fun. I still use my MS-1 for serious listening when the recording demands a more intimate rendition.

Jul 14, 2007 at 3:30 AM Post #1,607 of 3,117
Okay, a quick bend and they already feel much better. Thanks for the little tip. And I just switched back to the reversed 414s and will probably stick with these for a while.

Jul 14, 2007 at 3:45 AM Post #1,608 of 3,117
Good idea! One thing to remember is that we all hear differently, so what may work for John and I may not work well for you. Plus it will take a little while for you to get used to the sound of the phones, and then you can give the different pads a real good try. It can be a lot of fun!

Jul 14, 2007 at 4:00 AM Post #1,609 of 3,117
Yeah I know what you mean.

And these things are so awesome...I've been listening to a bunch of my favorite CDs today and I keep hearing new things that I've never heard before.

Jul 14, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #1,610 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by LepakVT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I know what you mean.

And these things are so awesome...I've been listening to a bunch of my favorite CDs today and I keep hearing new things that I've never heard before.

I did the same thing when I got my MS-1. I wore those things for hours and hours on end, it was jolly good fun!
smily_headphones1.gif

When I got the MS2i I did the same thing but was able to listen to a whole lot more of my classical CDs, which added hours and hours onto what I could listen to before. I ended up getting in a fourteen hour listening marathon less than a week after getting the MS2i! And that fun too!

....so much for Grados' being uncomfortable!

Jul 14, 2007 at 5:53 PM Post #1,611 of 3,117
and my iBasso T2 amp just arrived in the mail today so now I'm enjoying that as well. I'm in heaven
smily_headphones1.gif
such a huge upgrade from stock ipod earbuds for everything

Jul 15, 2007 at 5:28 AM Post #1,612 of 3,117
Hi all,

I ordered a pair of MS-1's yesterday and I haven't slept since. I have heard that they may take a while, but I'm feeling luckey. I've been reading away and searching for info, but one thing I can't find is modding info. Can any one explain how they are assembled?

What I'm thinking of is an immediate recable, and I'd like to do it myself. Has anyone here taken these apart?

Ive tried searching with "take apart recable mods woodies" ect. but there is so much in this thread that the search comes back with too may replies to make sense off. I realise about bowl and 414 pad mods, but what would be nice is a MS-1 mod thread.

What I've gathered is that they are similar drivers to the Grado SR125's can anyone comment on the headband? Are they similar.

I've only got Bose TriPorts to compare them to so you can imagine I'm hoping for something a bit less plastic.

Nice to join the gang.

Jul 15, 2007 at 7:21 AM Post #1,613 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did the same thing when I got my MS-1. I wore those things for hours and hours on end, it was jolly good fun!
smily_headphones1.gif

When I got the MS2i I did the same thing but was able to listen to a whole lot more of my classical CDs, which added hours and hours onto what I could listen to before. I ended up getting in a fourteen hour listening marathon less than a week after getting the MS2i! And that fun too!

....so much for Grados' being uncomfortable!

You sir, is truly the most steadfast ambassador for Alessandro headphones. Come on now, you just need the MS-Pro to make your collection complete.
biggrin.gif

Jul 15, 2007 at 8:33 AM Post #1,614 of 3,117
Quote:

Actually you have it backwards!
blink.gif
Yeah! With Grados you ask the headband to fit YOU!
icon10.gif

They are intended to be bent to fit! It took me about five tries to get them just right with my MS-1, but now they fit perfectly! Don't try to bend them while holding onto the housings though. The housings may fall off!

I'm having a bit of trouble trying to concentrate on my typing. I'm listening to the "Carpenters" from the 70s on my MS2i and they keep trying to pull me into the music!

I started with the stock comfies first for about a day and then went through the different varieties of modding the 414s over the next three or four days till I ended up with them reversed and that's where they've stayed. I did try the bowls from the MS2i on the MS-1 and felt that they weren't enough better sounding to get another set for the MS-1, so I put the bowls back on the MS2i and the reversed 414s have been on the MS-1 since March of last year.

....Wew! I've had them that long already!
smily_headphones1.gif

wow i listen to carpenters too, but it seems my recording is bad, i can listen distant noise in the background, damn i'm in need of good cd, u'r making my urge to buy ms2i grow stronger
biggrin.gif

Jul 15, 2007 at 11:51 AM Post #1,615 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bozz_Keren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow i listen to carpenters too, but it seems my recording is bad, i can listen distant noise in the background, damn i'm in need of good cd, u'r making my urge to buy ms2i grow stronger
biggrin.gif

One thing ya never ever want to forget: Make sure you really, really like the MS-1 before thinking of getting the MS2i! Cause they sound the Same!

Just more of everything!

I got MS-1 because it seemed as though they would sound close to my speaker system, and they do, so MS2i seemed like the perfect way to go from there. And they are!

...and my speakers even have aluminum drivers
tongue.gif
....cool!

But yeah; if after a few more weeks of listening you really really like MS-1, that could do the trick!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 15, 2007 at 12:22 PM Post #1,617 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by thebob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but what would be nice is a MS-1 mod thread.

What I've gathered is that they are similar drivers to the Grado SR125's can anyone comment on the headband? Are they similar.

Any "Grado mod" thread would also apply to the MS-1. And yes, the MS-1 and SR125 headbands are identical. That is, they both come with the cheap looking and uncomfortable unpadded vinyl headband.
icon10.gif
However, the MS-2i comes with padded leather headband.

Jul 15, 2007 at 12:33 PM Post #1,618 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by corsair /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You sir, is truly the most steadfast ambassador for Alessandro headphones. Come on now, you just need the MS-Pro to make your collection complete.
biggrin.gif

Ambassador? Yeah, I guess so these days. The last few weeks have been a sad period here at Head-Fi. The fun Alessandro threads and posts have been at an all-time low since the MS-1 has been under attack, and even been accused of being horribly bright to the point of being brighter than SR-125 and perhaps even SR-325i! The posts attacking MS-1 have been so compelling that a few folks, not many thankfully; have even joined into that false premise. Hopefully that's all behind us now and we can get back to the pre-silliness fun again!
smily_headphones1.gif

The MS-Pro.....ah yes. I would love to have a set. I have always cherished the thought, but the cost is way out of range since we got four new little kids to raise as a Retirement Party present.

I've always used the excuse that my system wasn't up to the task of bringing out the best in the MS-Pro, and it's probably true. I AM looking at amps for a future purchase, and since the ones I'm drawn to have lots of fans with both the top Grado And Senns phones; I'm sure either of them would do well with MS-Pro as well!

...now if I could stretch the budget to two and a third times more than MS2i.....
tongue.gif

Yup; I'd love to have a complete set!
rs1smile.gif

Jul 15, 2007 at 1:50 PM Post #1,619 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by thebob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all,

I ordered a pair of MS-1's yesterday and I haven't slept since. I have heard that they may take a while, but I'm feeling luckey. I've been reading away and searching for info, but one thing I can't find is modding info. Can any one explain how they are assembled?

What I'm thinking of is an immediate recable, and I'd like to do it myself. Has anyone here taken these apart?

Ive tried searching with "take apart recable mods woodies" ect. but there is so much in this thread that the search comes back with too may replies to make sense off. I realise about bowl and 414 pad mods, but what would be nice is a MS-1 mod thread.

I've only got Bose TriPorts to compare them to so you can imagine I'm hoping for something a bit less plastic.

Nice to join the gang.

Hi! thebob is here! Welcome!

Yup, as mentioned, if it works for Grado, it probably works for Alessandro as well!

Compared to some Bose phones which have a problem with cracking headbands, the Grados have a metal band that can be tied in knots and untied and still adjusted again and again for a perfect fit!
smily_headphones1.gif
But yeah, the covering is pretty cheap, and I'm finding on my year and a half old MS-1 that the plastic is shrinking! It's slowly pulling back so that more of the metal is being exposed. Weird!

The cable on the MS-1 is a good one though. Yeah, I know; they often come with built-in kinks, and they sometimes get the "Grado Twisties" but they're tough little buggers and can stand up to quite a bit of abuse. Folks do change cables though and it does look like a simple enough procedure, and the cans are inexpensive enough that I suspect it could be a lot of fun to tinker with them as well as just listen!

And yup; the drivers use the same materials as the SR-125 drivers, but they are of course designed from the start to be Alessandro drivers with a different sound than the SR-125. While the SR-125 are often referred to as being too bright for lots of folks and perhaps even a bit harsh, historically the MS-1 has always been considered to be much more neutral and balanced.

Anyway; Welcome to the gang and we hope that you have as much fun as the rest of us!

Jul 16, 2007 at 1:52 PM Post #1,620 of 3,117
Quote:

Hi! thebob is here! Welcome!

Anyway; Welcome to the gang and we hope that you have as much fun as the rest of us!

Thanks for the welcoma F107plus5. I'ts difficult to believe the value that the MS 1 represents, and to think I almost bought some SR80's

The headband may need a little work but luckily, there is a very good leather worker just around the corner I might be visiting.

Peace

Users who are viewing this thread

Back