Alessandro MS1000 Owner/Appreciation Thread.
Jun 29, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #46 of 112
sampson_smith,

Let me know if you are able to procure some distancers from rds. I have yet to receive a reply from him - though he has been on several times since my initial PM. I had messaged him again this morning just in case though... I also replied in his sale thread for the distancers just incase his PM box was full. I guess I will try his email in a couple of days as well.

Jun 29, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #47 of 112
Philimon, I'll definitely let you know, but it will be awhile before I definitely pursue this option. I need to read up a bit more on Grado "hacks" and also get a decent used pair of Alessandro's before I can start confidently modding. They turn up WAY less frequently on the FS/FT forums than the lower-end Grados, don't they? I would be interested to know how the numbers compare. Clearly MS 'phones are much rarer. Perhaps the serial numbers tell the story...

Jun 29, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #48 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Philimon, I'll definitely let you know, but it will be awhile before I definitely pursue this option. I need to read up a bit more on Grado "hacks" and also get a decent used pair of Alessandro's before I can start confidently modding. They turn up WAY less frequently on the FS/FT forums than the lower-end Grados, don't they? I would be interested to know how the numbers compare. Clearly MS 'phones are much rarer. Perhaps the serial numbers tell the story...

You are right they are quite less common to see on the for sale forums than the SR models. The last one I bought up shortly after they had been posted. Mine are coming with new-ish bowl pads and Beyer headband for $85 shipped.

-----------------

Edit:

And I am currently working on a deal with rds for some liberators and jumbo pads.

Jun 29, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #49 of 112
Alright! Keep me posted on how the mod's turn out and, if you don't mind, the cost of the extras (as I am on a tight budget and hope that I can do this real frugal-like).
wink_face.gif

Jun 29, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #50 of 112
Liberators will run you around $25-30 a set, depending on the maker. Jumbo pads are about $55+tax a pair, retail.

Yes, the mod could possibly cost as much as a brand new MS-1. If you have some spare woods laying around, you can buy a couple of hole-saws and DIY yourself some liberators.

Jun 29, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #51 of 112
I just realized that rds's distancers are not made with the 4 extra holes drilled into the sides. This will not work for me, because I do not have any drills/drillbits... I am going to see if I can get a set from apatN instead, however it will cost maybe an extra $8-10 more. This is completely justifiable to me considering the hassle of finding a drill to use, as well apatN's distancers come with felt for the drivers, which I would surely otherwise have to buy locally in bulk for several dollars anyway.

Jun 29, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #52 of 112
xkRowx,

How does the MS1000 compare to your PK1? I also have the PK1, and it has really been the only headphone I have been very happy with since taking ownership. I have gotten rid of a DT770 2005, as well as a D2000, and have only found my PK1's as worth keeping. I am hoping I will feel the same way about the MS1000... Otherwise the AD900 will be my next headphone to try.

Thank you.

Jun 30, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #54 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by xkRoWx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Liberators will run you around $25-30 a set, depending on the maker. Jumbo pads are about $55+tax a pair, retail.

Yes, the mod could possibly cost as much as a brand new MS-1. If you have some spare woods laying around, you can buy a couple of hole-saws and DIY yourself some liberators.

Thanks for this info.! That's not too steep considering what many are saying about the improvement in sound. Time will eventually tell. I wonder if there is any clear comparisons between MS1000's and MS1000i's, apart from the latter perhaps looking better with the bigger housing better matching the large bowls?

Jul 4, 2009 at 12:02 PM Post #56 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by Philimon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
xkRowx,

How does the MS1000 compare to your PK1? I also have the PK1, and it has really been the only headphone I have been very happy with since taking ownership. I have gotten rid of a DT770 2005, as well as a D2000, and have only found my PK1's as worth keeping. I am hoping I will feel the same way about the MS1000... Otherwise the AD900 will be my next headphone to try.

Thank you.

My ears aren't that analytical, and under the circumstances below, best to take my opinion with a pinch of salt...

My MS1000 suffered from the infamous grattle at the right channel since day 1 of conversion. My girlfriend lost the OK2s; and the PK1s aren't even properly driven at the moment. Plus, I got the PK1s two weeks ago.

But from my experience..

Both the YUIN and Alessandro share a very similar sound signature. Stock MS1 with comfies sounds very similar to PK1 with foamies (the non-donut version). I would consider the PK1 (with foams) and stock MS1 as rather "warm".

I haven't exactly tried the donuts yet, but without the foamies, PK1 sounds very similar to the MS1000. Except that the soundstage is still very small on the PK1 when compared to the MS1000. I would say the OK2 with rubber donuts sounds the most identical to the MS1000, with half of the soundstage.

When I get more time for critical listening sessions, I'll chime in with more information. Been rather busy lately, but I'll try to make some time. Been hunting the FS forums for a MiniBox E+ and PICO DAC lately. Until I get these two portable behemoths, my opinions for the PK1s are inaccurate and biased.

I'll keep you posted.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 4, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #57 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by xkRoWx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My ears aren't that analytical, and under the circumstances below, best to take my opinion with a pinch of salt...

My MS1000 suffered from the infamous grattle at the right channel since day 1 of conversion. My girlfriend lost the OK2s; and the PK1s aren't even properly driven at the moment. Plus, I got the PK1s two weeks ago.

But from my experience..

Both the YUIN and Alessandro share a very similar sound signature. Stock MS1 with comfies sounds very similar to PK1 with foamies (the non-donut version). I would consider the PK1 (with foams) and stock MS1 as rather "warm".

I haven't exactly tried the donuts yet, but without the foamies, PK1 sounds very similar to the MS1000. Except that the soundstage is still very small on the PK1 when compared to the MS1000. I would say the OK2 with rubber donuts sounds the most identical to the MS1000, with half of the soundstage.

When I get more time for critical listening sessions, I'll chime in with more information. Been rather busy lately, but I'll try to make some time. Been hunting the FS forums for a MiniBox E+ and PICO DAC lately. Until I get these two portable behemoths, my opinions for the PK1s are inaccurate and biased.c
I'll keep you posted.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you for the reply xkRoWx.

I have never tried the PK1 with the foamies. I would agree that the PK1 (with donuts) has a similar sound to the MS1 (with bowls). I have yet to A/B the MS1 and PK1 directly, but I will go from memory and say that the tiny PK1 has more bass/depth than the MS1, and that PK1's soundstage is much larger compared to MS1's almost non-existent one. The MS1 I believe has some prominent treble... The PK1 due to better bass can make brass instruments sound good vs the MS1. I will have a more detailed comparison to post in the coming weeks, also with the PK1 vs MS1000.

Also, I would like to figure out if PK1s seemingly more resolving sound is due to it having a good soundstage, or if its because the driver is right next to your eardrum which allows for you to hear better... When I had the D2000 - it was a closed headphone, so it was easier to discern that there was much more detail in the music than with the PK1. With a very open headphone like the MS1 - background noise probably covers up some of the minute details the headphone can produce (I also try to listen at quiet levels in order to save my eardrums...).

I am using the minibox-e+ right now with iPod 5.5G w/LOD. I am currently looking at the HeadDirect EF2 ($190). Its a desktop hybrid amp with DAC (USB capable). I am waiting for some reviews first though.

-----------------------

EDIT

Looks like I have been using the MS1 improperly. The headband was too loose, but I have tightened it so the pads fit more snugly as opposed to just resting on my ears, and now everything sounds a little fuller! Much better.

Sep 4, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #58 of 112
Another pair of MS-1000 born today!
gs1000.gif

I had a little extra time at the race track so I locked myself in the trailer, got out the tools and 4 hours later they are complete.

I used RDS distancers. Other mods done at the same time are silver powder coated mesh that matches the silver on the lettering and is more open, JMoney Audio lambskin headband, silicone damping on the back of the transducers, and a recable with a TARA Labs RSC Headphone cable.

They sound pretty good through my iPod. I look forward to getting home on Monday and running these on my headphone rig to see just how great they really are.

One thing that I did notice was a slight decrease in efficiency post mod but nothing a tad more volume can't solve.

Sep 5, 2009 at 9:15 AM Post #59 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One thing that I did notice was a slight decrease in efficiency post mod but nothing a tad more volume can't solve.

Correct, and that makes them even louder for others. Consequently, they aren't exactly the most wife-friendly cans when being worn in bed.

Sep 5, 2009 at 9:21 AM Post #60 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another pair of MS-1000 born today!
gs1000.gif

I had a little extra time at the race track so I locked myself in the trailer, got out the tools and 4 hours later they are complete.

I used RDS distancers. Other mods done at the same time are silver powder coated mesh that matches the silver on the lettering and is more open, JMoney Audio lambskin headband, silicone damping on the back of the transducers, and a recable with a TARA Labs RSC Headphone cable.

They sound pretty good through my iPod. I look forward to getting home on Monday and running these on my headphone rig to see just how great they really are.

Congrats on the mod. Seems like you went all out, haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back