Alessandro MS Pro: Bass Distortion Problem?
Oct 13, 2011 at 9:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

buckles

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys, 

This happens to be my first post in the forum but I did do my research here in helping me make my decision. 
About a week ago, I took delivery of a gorgeous set of Alessandro MS Pro's. 
Initially, I had the MS1i but quickly wanted more...damn it! 
o2smile.gif

Anyway- my current rig consists of a CMoy Amp from BSG- (looking at the Asgard from Schiit too)... I love the warmth & richness it brings to my Music off my Mp3 Player. While i'd like to have FLAC or other Apple lossless, I'd run out of space quickly. So far it's been bliss, hearing new depth in the songs i've listened to time and time again and never heard before. Fantastic. 

Any way, I've digressed. The reason I'm posting is because this morning, I set my headphones to do a burn in with my Stereo (which is hooked up via Aux to my Desktop PC. I had a quick listen to make sure the level wasn't to loud and to my surprise heard some nasty bass distortion from this Orchestral/Vocal piece. I've heard s tiny bit in a couple of other songs but this was really obvious. The volume wasn't excessive (I believe)... I'm not a Sound Engineer or any thing remotely close- am I missing something? 

Is this normal? Should I be expecting distortion from a $600 set of cans? 

Thanks for reading.. 

Oct 13, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #3 of 13
That did occur to me, it could be just a low quality file. Most stuff I listen to is 320kbps minimum. 

Oct 13, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #4 of 13
One it could be the song itself, two it could be your imagination, three it could be your pair is defective. But a typical MS Pro should not be distorting.
P.S: where did you get a pair for $600?

Oct 13, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #6 of 13

Quote:
One it could be the song itself, two it could be your imagination, three it could be your pair is defective. But a typical MS Pro should not be distorting.
P.S: where did you get a pair for $600?

PM Sent re: Price!

It definitely wasn't my imagination. This was uber obvious. 
Could be the song... I HOPE it's the song! ...if they're defective, I will cry :p 
Most other songs are fine, I don't run the source at full with the CMoy going of course. 

Oct 20, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #10 of 13
Are you sure is not the recording? considering that most other songs are fine. 

Oct 31, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #11 of 13
So I've had a bit of a play with a couple of variables... first thing- dialled up the voltage to 12V on the CMoy Amp. That seemed to help somewhat. I think the source may have been too loud when going through the amp so I dialled that back. 

Finally, the last thing is me- maybe I have an untrained ear... I'm going to listen to a wide range of music.. I think fabio-fi may have a point. It could be the recording. On that original track I listened to, It turned out to be dodge quality. A lot of other music seems fine.. Maybe I'm just not used to this kind of detail? :wink: 

Thanks for all your feedback. 

Nov 14, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #13 of 13
Thanks for the feed back all, I think using bass boost in conjunction with an Amp wasn't helping my case. I've given the internals a short burst of IT Grade compressed air (at a distance) and those things seem to have helped. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back