AKG Q701 Review
May 9, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #76 of 248
Soundinista, thank you for your in-depth comment / additional review!
You just made me order the Q701s, controversial equipment is kinda my case I guess 
gs1000.gif
, and taking all the positive and negative comments into consideration, they seem to be the right pair of headphones for me. The only thing that bugs me is that they're a lot more expensive in their country of manufacture (Austria) than in the US. Sad but true...

May 9, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #77 of 248
Happy to be of help, vandaven! Do give them good amplification. These phones are very, very good. (I'm in the process of finding out how good, but I'm past the point where I regret the purchase.)

Kevin, in my own, still very recent experience with the Q701, there is indeed a good fight with the HD650. I haven't had the time to compare these phones. But I do hear more detail and a slightly wider soundstage than the HD650's. I think they are more dynamic as well. Everything seems a little more opaque, more restrained through the HD650. (Perspective: Just a few months ago, the Stereophile editor, John Atkinson, reaffirmed that the HD650 are his reference phones. With all due respect, the Stereophile coverage of headphones leads me to believe that the estimable Atkinson knows less than we do about headphones. STILL, this is a guy who's used to cost-no-object sound. He can't be ridiculously wrong, no, I don't think.)

beerchug.gif

May 9, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #78 of 248
[size=12pt]Airiness – I forgot the word when describing my Q701 experience above. The Q701 does that in spades. They’re up there with the best in that regard. And the best I’ve known for airiness are the HD800 and the GS1000i.[/size]

[size=12pt]For the treble range as a whole, the HD800 is unmatched in my experience, mostly for the super-“clean”, non-splashy low highs. I think this is the key to why the HD800 sounds so impressive to so many people. These are phones which simply are incapable of highlighting any sibilance, while remaining airy and super-extended in the highs.[/size]

[size=12pt]But, as we move down to the midrange and the lows, the HD800 loses ground very fast. (Just slightly off-topic now!
biggrin.gif
)
[/size]

May 9, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #79 of 248
Q701 w/the beyer v2 Jmoney pads.  Used 4 pieces of electrical tape.  Driver is exposed so have to be a little more careful.  Super comfy with harder hitting lows, even more than they already are.

May 10, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #81 of 248

Quote:
Q701 w/the beyer v2 Jmoney pads.  Used 4 pieces of electrical tape.  Driver is exposed so have to be a little more careful.  Super comfy with harder hitting lows, even more than they already are.

wouldn't that mess up the mid? I tried some leather pads, and the mid were too much warmer and congested.

May 10, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #83 of 248
Just bought the q701 in black, can't wait to get them and compare them to the outstanding 271 mk II  that i have.  Thanks for you very in depth and truthful review of the q701 soundinista.

May 10, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #84 of 248

Quote:
wouldn't that mess up the mid? I tried some leather pads, and the mid were too much warmer and congested.

It's does close the soundstage but not substantially and imo, a fair exchange for a much fuller low-end.  It did in no way compromise the sound like when I used them on the DT880's which already sound muffled to me.  I also had them powered by the Lyr which also gave a touch of warmth before the inital mod.  The way they fit also relaxed the headband a bit on my head, mind that I do have a large noggin.  Little mod for a lot of heaven, YMMV.

May 12, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #86 of 248
Whoa, I need to check this post more often. Thanks a lot everyone for expertise and input! 

I've been using my Q's for probably 200+ hours. I'm just a poor college student but man do these sound great. The mids have gotten deeper and the bass is well defined but never booming.

If you have to play any acoustic guitar on them you will hear the clarity of the strings. 

If you want to hear the dissecting and analytical side of these phones throw on some electronic. 

Thanks again folks!

May 12, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #87 of 248
[size=12pt]I think I should add that I’m using an aftermarket cable on my Q701. As far as I’ve been able to determine (I’m at about hour #70 now), the stock cable is surprisingly good. All I’ve written above about the main sonic traits of the Q701 does apply to the stock cable. But the HeadRoom Cardas Fat Pipe cable that I’m using does take the experience a notch up. Basically, in addition to extending the response a bit on both ends, the Cardas cable adds depth and width to the sonic image. Everything moves away from your head very noticeably – a really beguiling effect.[/size]

[size=12pt]I can’t compare the Cardas to other cables. This is actually my first aftermarket cable. So, I can’t vouch for the Cardas as good value for the money when compared to the other options. All I can say is that it did enhance the experience. But, again, I’d be happy with these phones if I were confined to the much more comfortable stock cable. The Cardas is annoyingly microphonic and somewhat stiff. So, there’s that to put up with.[/size]

[size=12pt]
beerchug.gif
[/size]

May 13, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #88 of 248
I see you own a pair of HD650, how does the Q701 compete against the Sennheiser?

May 13, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #89 of 248

Quote:
I see you own a pair of HD650, how does the Q701 compete against the Sennheiser?

The quick-and-dirty answer for now, from memory: I like the Q701 better, mostly for their three-dimensionality, the larger soundstage they throw, the airy, very extended, but non-fatiguing highs. The HD650 give you better bass, however, bass that is a tad deeper and more impactful in the 50-70Hz region. These are very different-sounding phones. Both are very good. For a darker sound, but still detailed sound, the HD650 are among the very best. Mine have the balanced stock cable. I think they are borderline top-tier. Still...yes, I'd keep the Q701, if I had to choose.

Hope this helps.

May 13, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #90 of 248

Quote:
The quick-and-dirty answer for now, from memory: I like the Q701 better, mostly for their three-dimensionality, the larger soundstage they throw, the airy, very extended, but non-fatiguing highs. The HD650 give you better bass, however, bass that is a tad deeper and more impactful in the 50-70Hz region. These are very different-sounding phones. Both are very good. For a darker sound, but still detailed sound, the HD650 are among the very best. Mine have the balanced stock cable. I think they are borderline top-tier. Still...yes, I'd keep the Q701, if I had to choose.

Hope this helps.

I agree with this completely , the Q701 and HD650 complement each other nicely , a different headphone for different moods perhaps .
I have replaced the HD650 with the LCD-2 but I have no intention of replacing the Q701 . The soundstage on the Q701 is perfect for movies, games and TV shows , the LCD-2 I use for music .
So far I have purchased the Beyerdynamic dt990 and 770 , sennheiser hd650 , Ultrasone hfi780 , grado sr80i and gs1000 . All those are gone now for various reasons only the AKG Q701 and LCD-2 remain . I feel my urge to try different headphones is quickly passing , maybe because summer is coming or I am finally satisfied . Perhaps a new amp is in my future but I don't think any more headphones will be coming .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back