AKG owners unite...
Jun 24, 2006 at 2:51 PM Post #196 of 368
i don't know if that is purely subjective. like you said, a poll should tell. i am doubting many will take a 271 over a 701(or at least won't admit it). the problem is they are for two different sectors i am wondering how many people here have heard a 271.

i am assuming that the (general consensus around here) is that the 271 IS better than the stock 240(s)?

the big thing is, does the margin become a lot closer if the 271 has a zu cable and the 701 is left stock? hmm. that does seem fair because the zu plus the 271 is at about the lowest internet price of the 701.

i would tend to think very few people would take a 271 or 240 over the 701.
the problem is no one ever comments on this! i don't think it is because of the price points. px100 constantly gets compared to hd650. so i do think it is fair game.

regardless of the sound the '2' series is one heck of a lot more rugged than the '7' and the mini xlr is great.

music_man.

Jun 24, 2006 at 4:41 PM Post #198 of 368
checking in. This is a beautiful can. You just need to give it time. Of all the headphones I have owned, the K601 was the most sensitive to burn in. When I first picked them up, I was disappointed by the upper end harshness and the lack of bass presence. After many hours of break in and use, they got better and better. The bass presence came in to make an appearance, and the top end harshness started to ease itself off. Now I find them to be great cans. Still incredible open sounding and detailed, all the whole not being edgy, but just smooth as silk. The velour pads are also a wonderful treat.

Jun 24, 2006 at 4:56 PM Post #199 of 368
Had my K701's for a few days now and Im really enjoying them. Very punchy, tight bass, great sparkle, and they convey guitars, strings, and vocals very very well imo. They are also very detailed. I love the build quality. The only thing bad I have to say about them is that they have a little too much clamp for me. Although, Ive been trying to stretch the headband out so I think this is improving. An excellent set of headphones and a definite step up from my 595's and 225's. They will only get better as I upgrade my rig too.
icon10.gif

Jun 25, 2006 at 2:32 PM Post #200 of 368
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans
hi 465, to try to answer your questions;

The K501's bass is really tight - controlled, tight, tonal, textured . . . but since it has less body and weight and thus is not overwhelming many people feel it has too little bass. I find this to be relevant. If I go from my HD600 to my K501 then yes it sounds rather anemic in the bass department, but if I start with the K501 I do not find this to be quite the case.

The K271 has a bit more body to the bass than the K501 (but still nowhere near the HD600's weight). The bass on the K271 is still rather tight and controlled, not masking or taking away from the mid's like some bass can.

However, not all AKG's do have tight bass . . . I have a 30 year old pair of K240 Sextet that are rather bass-heavy and do not demonstrate this tight-bass like the others.

I hope this helps some.

Hi NiceCans,

Thanks for the reply; they do help.

So, the K271's bass would be between the 501 and HD600 but slightly leaning toward the 501 then? How would you compare the bass on the 501 when listened to without an amp (I'm using the PortaPro, currently)? I mean, would I be missing the volume of the bass if I go to 501 from PortaPro.

Thanks.

Feb 23, 2007 at 8:58 AM Post #201 of 368
Hi guys. Just thougt i share my experience with the k271s.
My band is in the studio, recording our debut album right now, and i found a pair of these cans there. As im intersted in these myself, i thought ill give them i ride.

As we are doing the mixing right now, I use these cans to set up panning, as they reavel right to left separation with really nice precision.

To my surprise i got to borrow them, and have spent 10 hrs or so, listening to a lot of different music. And they are fantastic. Pink Floyd (DSOTM) LP, amazing, OSI, Free, amazing, Gustav Mahler symph 1, great, Deep Purple Who do we think we are (MFSL gold CD) superb recording. Seems like anything a throw at them, they just deliver music back.

Sitting at the PC right now, listening to Paolo Nutini, sounds great, a sweet recording.
The discussion of bass is kind of strange to me. These cans do not lack i bass reproduction, but im is one of those that despise listening to music out of a subwoofer.

I will by my cans today, cuz these guys really made a differnce to me.
Sources used:
DUAL CS 450 Sony SRT-DB870 head-amp
Marantz CD5400 (built in headamp or via Sony SRT-DB870 head-amp)
Creative Zen Micro-PA2v2
Crative Audigy 2 foobar flac files
Mackie 64 channel board, MAOB masterfiles (well at least one) Mauido head amp of some kind.

Music listen to so far:

Pure Reason Revolution - Dark Third CD
Pink Floyd - DSOTM LP
OSI - Free FLAC
Pain of Salvation - Scarsick mp3 (EAC rip)
Paolo Nutini - These Streets FLAC
The Haunted - The dead eye CD

Regards laz

Mar 7, 2007 at 11:06 PM Post #202 of 368
Can I please ask you experts a question here? I'm considering 2 AKG's for home theater use at night. I want FULL SIZE, LARGE cans, around the ear, COMFORTABLE, very good bass(due to no subwoofer), open or closed doesn't matter.

1) K301-XTRA - I've tried these and they're comfortable and sound good.

2) M-80 - Have not seen these in person.

Are these good choices for home theater? Which one has better bass? Which one is more comfortable? Thanks.

Mar 7, 2007 at 11:33 PM Post #203 of 368
I'm pretty sure the XTRA in the K301-XTRA means extra bass. If you liked them, go for them. You can get used 501s for the same price though, which I think are really excellent phones. If you have a loundness controll or some way to turn the bass up on your home theater setup, these might be a great way to go. I've used them in a home theater situation and I really was very happy with them.

Mar 10, 2007 at 3:25 AM Post #204 of 368
you guys remember my custom k240's that i described a long time ago?

i keep telling myself it is not possible but i really think i took k240's and made them into better phones than the k701's. i was mainly listening to the k701's. then i decided to start a/b'ing with my custom 240's. i am listening to the 240's now. i think i like my 240's because they have more bass at least.

you can build your own too. look at my old psots i gave full directions.

music_man

Apr 2, 2007 at 4:45 PM Post #206 of 368
Quote:

Originally Posted by carstenan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi:

Can someone kindly tell me where to get an AKG K501 right now? I've been searching a place to buy 501 within $150 for a while?

Thanks

I don't think you will find any new K-501s retail, other than maybe E-Bay perhaps... Same source for used, or here on our For Sale forums...

Good luck~

Apr 2, 2007 at 5:37 PM Post #207 of 368
Yesterday I saw a brand new pair of K501 in my local instruments store. I asked at the salesman and he didn't know anything about this "new" model, he said me.... "it's a new model, and even It doesn't appear on the internet site
280smile.gif

Apr 3, 2007 at 9:37 AM Post #208 of 368
The K240s are sloppier than K271s.
The bass extension on the K271s is much better, goes deeper.
I like the K271s better because they give you more detail and they sound cleaner.

The K240s are very 'fun' like to listen to..when you're not paying attention to details and you just want to enjoy the music...but whenever you need to figure out what kind of filters the guy used on his synth or anything like that, thats where the K271s really shine..for me at least..

One example is while listening to some music that i know i heard things like cables dangling or bracelets and small nuances like that..

And that midrange as well..because the bass is more controlled than on the K240s you can enjoy it more, hear it clearer.
The bass on the K240s is a little bit overwhelming and it muddies the mids a bit. Its still a great semi-open can for general music listening but not for critical or studio work..

Here is another difference where i think the K240s are better and that is soundstage..they sound more open and you feel like you've got more space with the music that you are listening...i know its because they are semi-open..
It only makes me wonder how HD650 or K701 sound
blink.gif
ouch...

The K271s sound as someone else said in one of the posts a bit 'claustrophobic'...its true, from K240s to K271s i cant help but notice that there is more space with the K240s...

Ok, back to work...
Peace
Nik

Dec 12, 2007 at 7:52 PM Post #210 of 368
601s anybody? compared with the 701 maybe?
I've only listened to cheapo AKGs (the super tiny foldable, and like a K44 and a 141 i think all for really short periods of time)
Can anyone comment who has heard the 271, 601, and 701?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back