AKG owners unite...
Jun 4, 2006 at 6:18 PM Post #181 of 368
In a previous post, many a great Head-Fiers provdied me with advice for the best of the closed cans under $200 -- ranking comfort almost as high as sound quality.

As I continue to read more posts on this cool group I have postponed my decision a little longer. Because powerful but clean tight bass was of concern to me, the AKG 271s were suggested among DT77-80 and A900.

Since I may likely have the attention of the entire AKG team here and because I have read conflicting posts regarding the bass of the 271s, I would like to ask them if the 271s are truely the best bass performers of the AKG line? [with or without an amp?] ... should this be a separate thread?

Advance Thanx,

Jun 4, 2006 at 6:20 PM Post #182 of 368
Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin-Fi
In a previous post, many a great Head-Fiers provdied me with advice for the best of the closed cans under $200 -- ranking comfort almost as high as sound quality.

As I continue to read more posts on this cool group I have postponed my decision a little longer. Because powerful but clean tight bass was of concern to me, the AKG 271s were suggested among DT77-80 and A900.

Since I may likely have the attention of the entire AKG team here and because I have read conflicting posts regarding the bass of the 271s, I would like to ask them if the 271s are truely the best bass performers of the AKG line? [with or without an amp?] ... should this be a separate thread?

Advance Thanx,

Of the fully closed headphones, yes? Of all their headphones, not by a long shot. Though, if my experience of the 340 is anything to go by, a good seal against the head is essential for good bass response, so I strongly recommend the more comfortable and better sealing velour earpads if you do go for the K271. Plus they are actually designed to fit that model so you won't have to fight to get them on like us 340 owners do.

Jun 4, 2006 at 6:29 PM Post #183 of 368
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain
Seems like you never finished your thought.

LOL, very true . . . .
still hedging, and unsure.

I am almost thinking that the 701 could replace both the 501's and the HD600's (but unsure from what I've read), or of keeping the K501's and selling off the HD600's for a better tube amp to drive the K501's (think Woo3).
I dunno . . . .

Jun 4, 2006 at 6:35 PM Post #184 of 368
Quote:

I would like to ask them if the 271s are truely the best bass performers of the AKG line? [with or without an amp?]

I cannot compare to other closed phones as I have no experience with them, but compared to my other AKG's the K271's have very respectable bass capabilities. My K240 extends deeper, but is not as tight and controlled.
I have not had the K271's very long, but am really enjoying them more than I expected since I was unsure of closed phones abilities. My only complaint is the comfort (or lack of!) which will drive me to get som of those nice cushy velour pads soon
icon10.gif
I think the pads could be softer and thicker, hopefully the velour are so.

Jun 4, 2006 at 7:41 PM Post #186 of 368
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans
I cannot compare to other closed phones as I have no experience with them, but compared to my other AKG's the K271's have very respectable bass capabilities. My K240 extends deeper, but is not as tight and controlled.
I have not had the K271's very long, but am really enjoying them more than I expected since I was unsure of closed phones abilities. My only complaint is the comfort (or lack of!) which will drive me to get som of those nice cushy velour pads soon
icon10.gif
I think the pads could be softer and thicker, hopefully the velour are so.

How to you like the sound of the 271 compared to the 501?

I was thinking of getting the 271 as a studio phone since it is closed and sometimes I need that. That way I can have the akg trilogy of 501s for home listening, 81djs for the office, and 271s for studio work where I need a cloased can. I just know that the first thing I would want to do with them is get the replacement veour pads though.

Jun 4, 2006 at 8:23 PM Post #187 of 368
Quote:

Originally Posted by megawzrd
How to you like the sound of the 271 compared to the 501?

The 271's have a slight resemblence to the 501's that you can hear in the midrange, but no where near as magical. And of course they have more bass compared to the 501's as well.

Jun 24, 2006 at 8:34 AM Post #188 of 368
Does anyone know which headphone produces that tight bass other than the 501? I've been asking these many times, but no one seems to know. What about a headphone or IEMs that produces tight bass with no need of an amp. I'm not looking to get an amp anytime soon, so is there any headphone/ IEMs that have the same tight bass performance as the 501 with amp?

Jun 24, 2006 at 11:08 AM Post #189 of 368
Quote:

Originally Posted by 465
Does anyone know which headphone produces that tight bass other than the 501? I've been asking these many times, but no one seems to know. What about a headphone or IEMs that produces tight bass with no need of an amp. I'm not looking to get an amp anytime soon, so is there any headphone/ IEMs that have the same tight bass performance as the 501 with amp?

You would like the Etymotic ER4s if you like the AKG 501. They really need an amp though. I have not heard the ER4p...........but it might be what you are looking for.

Jun 24, 2006 at 11:14 AM Post #190 of 368
Quote:

Advance Thanx,

The AKG K271s has great bass IMHO. That being said.......It really needs an amp to show off what the bottom end is capable of. I'll never forget the first time I heard the 271s. I was shocked that a closed can could sound that good.......But don't listen to me. If it wasn't any good, why would companies like Stefan Arts Audio and Zu be making replacement cables for it? After all, you can't polish a turd.

P.S. The aforementioned cables both really improve an already great headphone.

Jun 24, 2006 at 1:15 PM Post #191 of 368
Quote:

Originally Posted by Large4mat
You would like the Etymotic ER4s if you like the AKG 501. They really need an amp though. I have not heard the ER4p...........but it might be what you are looking for.

Does the bass on the ER4s similar to the 501? Tight bass? I've never heard any other cans that produce tight bass other than AKG. Is AKG, strangely, the only brand that offers tight bass? Does the lower model give that tight bass, also?

I heard that open headphones give the best sound quality, among other cans like IEMs, closed, etc. Would you agree that 501 gives better sound quality, like tight bass, detail, etc, or is it simply too differ to be compared to each other?

Thanks.

Jun 24, 2006 at 1:22 PM Post #192 of 368
Quote:

Originally Posted by 465
Does the bass on the ER4s similar to the 501? Tight bass? I've never heard any other cans that produce tight bass other than AKG. Is AKG, strangely, the only brand that offers tight bass? Does the lower model give that tight bass, also?

I heard that open headphones give the best sound quality, among other cans like IEMs, closed, etc. Would you agree that 501 gives better sound quality, like tight bass, detail, etc, or is it simply too differ to be compared to each other?

Thanks.

The bass from the ER4s is very similar to the 501 in both quantity and quality....it is very tight. But they do need an amp.

I did not care for the quantity, (lack of bass), that the 501's exhibit. I loved the mids and top end of the 501's. I like my K271s much better than the 501's for a balanced presentation. I only use the ER4s on rare occasions with my portable setup. When I listen to them, I use the EQ on my MP3 player to boost the bass.

Jun 24, 2006 at 1:27 PM Post #193 of 368
hi 465, to try to answer your questions;

The K501's bass is really tight - controlled, tight, tonal, textured . . . but since it has less body and weight and thus is not overwhelming many people feel it has too little bass. I find this to be relevant. If I go from my HD600 to my K501 then yes it sounds rather anemic in the bass department, but if I start with the K501 I do not find this to be quite the case.

The K271 has a bit more body to the bass than the K501 (but still nowhere near the HD600's weight). The bass on the K271 is still rather tight and controlled, not masking or taking away from the mid's like some bass can.

However, not all AKG's do have tight bass . . . I have a 30 year old pair of K240 Sextet that are rather bass-heavy and do not demonstrate this tight-bass like the others.

I hope this helps some.

Jun 24, 2006 at 2:20 PM Post #194 of 368
big akg fan here.

which is the best sounding overall currently manufactured dynamic akg?
k701?
why does no one ever compare k271 and k240(s)-(with and without zu cable) to the stock k701? can someone do so please?

thank you,
music_man.

Jun 24, 2006 at 2:29 PM Post #195 of 368
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_man
which is the best sounding overall currently manufactured dynamic akg? k701?.

that's purely subjective, or at lease the subject for a Poll
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by music_man
why does no one ever compare k271 and k240(s)-(with and without zu cable) to the stock k701? can someone do so please

wish I could help, but I have neither a K701 nor a Zu cable . . . . however if you care to donate these I will gladly doan in-depth analysis and comparison especially for you
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back