AKG owners unite...
Mar 30, 2005 at 8:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 368

philodox

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, I saw Duncan's Thread about Beyerdynamics and thought that we could do with an AKG thread.

In fact, I'm just going to copy his post here and change a few things.
icon10.gif

----------
Seeing that I may have been one of the (if not the main) starters of the current AKG FOTM, and seeing that there are various threads about Sennheiser, Grado, Beyerdynamic etc love... I thought it was time to redress the balance...

So, if you have an AKG 'phone that you are feeling the love for (or more if you have lots of love
wink.gif
), feel free to share your experiences in this thread
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, incase no-one had noticed (hehe) my main cans are now the K340 with the headphile blacksilver cable... very nice
biggrin.gif
- also my K271S which I listen to on my commute to and from work...
biggrin.gif

Now, Team AKG is a respectful team, so no in-fighting please, none of this "your K240 has flabby bass compared to the K501" or other such nonsense, just feel the love, and share it with your fellow members
wink.gif

----------
hehe... so yeah, discuss
tongue.gif

Mar 30, 2005 at 9:07 PM Post #2 of 368
How can a long discontinued can become the flavour of the month. :p

Biggie.

Mar 30, 2005 at 9:07 PM Post #3 of 368
Well, alright then - I keep on being a liar and have hated the K240M and K400 quite a bit in their times, while I still hate the K501 and the K240S a lot today. Not so much hated: K240DF, K270S, K500, K271S, K24P...

Grinnings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Mar 30, 2005 at 10:38 PM Post #4 of 368
The K340 which I bought and picked up over the weekend is the most tweakable headphone I've ever had. Change the stuffing, get a different sound, change the cable, same thing, change the internal wiring and it gets better still. There's also a resistor in there for the crossover, change the value, change the sound, there's so many things to play with on this headphone. And you thought swapping cables on a Senn 580/6x0 was bad for your OCD.

Mar 30, 2005 at 11:03 PM Post #5 of 368
I used to own the akg 501 and they are a great buy at $150-.Wonderful mids, detailed highs, tight controlled bass. The bass is obviosly lacking and they can sound a bit thin compared to other phones. But for their price I don't think a lot of other phones can compete.

Mar 30, 2005 at 11:46 PM Post #6 of 368
My K240Ms are *still* my all-time favorite can, despite having listened to several of the local favorites in the past couple years (K501, er4p, e5c, 770-80). Words cannot express how much I love my K240Ms. When my first pair crapped out, I had to go and buy another pair.

Mar 31, 2005 at 12:08 AM Post #7 of 368
Quote:

Originally Posted by aerius
The K340 which I bought and picked up over the weekend is the most tweakable headphone I've ever had. Change the stuffing, get a different sound, change the cable, same thing, change the internal wiring and it gets better still. There's also a resistor in there for the crossover, change the value, change the sound, there's so many things to play with on this headphone. And you thought swapping cables on a Senn 580/6x0 was bad for your OCD.

What's the deal with changing the resistors? Can you give more details?

BTW, I have a pair of 340's and the K1000's.
Love both of them, but I am upgrading (I hope) the amplification for both, as time and money allows.

Randy

Mar 31, 2005 at 12:50 AM Post #9 of 368
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
How can a long discontinued can become the flavour of the month. :p

Biggie.

It's happened before. The Beyer DT531 only became popular after it was discontinued (to make room for the new DT440, 660, and 860 models). Also I think the Grado HP-1000 series was a FOTM years ago (not sure about that one). Also, there was a vintage PCDP craze in the Portables forum for a while, however that's died down some. (During that time some vintage players were going on eBay for 2 or 3 times their retail price when they were new).

Mar 31, 2005 at 1:20 AM Post #10 of 368
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
It's happened before. The Beyer DT531 only became popular after it was discontinued (to make room for the new DT440, 660, and 860 models). Also I think the Grado HP-1000 series was a FOTM years ago (not sure about that one). Also, there was a vintage PCDP craze in the Portables forum for a while, however that's died down some. (During that time some vintage players were going on eBay for 2 or 3 times their retail price when they were new).

Well the dt531 and d-25 were special cases since retailers still carried stock...

And I would never consider the purchasing/selling rate of the hp1000 or other vintage pcdp's to be flavours of the month. Thats just getting rediculous.

Biggie.

Mar 31, 2005 at 1:23 AM Post #11 of 368
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
How can a long discontinued can become the flavour of the month.

Well, I didnt say the K340's were the flavour of the month... but now that you bring it up there has been a lot of interest in them lately.
tongue.gif

Mar 31, 2005 at 1:43 AM Post #12 of 368
I'm a proud owner of the AKG K240S, in fact, it's these cans that brought me to head-fi in the first place
eggosmile.gif

I absolutely love the midrange these cans give me - they give me the smoothness and warmth to enjoy my music, especially my classic rock collection.

Mar 31, 2005 at 2:01 AM Post #14 of 368
Quote:

Originally Posted by randytsuch
What's the deal with changing the resistors? Can you give more details?

yeah, we need more details aerius!

Sledge - When is that guy going to stop talking about those headphones? Sheesh, he's almost as bad as Commando and his A900's!
icon10.gif

Mar 31, 2005 at 2:03 AM Post #15 of 368
I have the AKG K271S and it's by-far the headphone for me.

It's comfortable, has a sweet midrange, and isn't overly bassy. Highs are controlled and tame, detail is phenominal. Background noise is nearly unexistant.

Sure, you could get better for more or even for less in terms of sound quality -- but headphones are a compromise and for the reasons I use headphones, no other brand has worked out for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back