AKG or Denon for bass?
Aug 3, 2011 at 1:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

jc222284

100+ Head-Fier
I was just curious on which headphones are better on the low end frequency chart. I Didn't want to double post but this goes for IEM and over ear.

Aug 3, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #2 of 40
Sounds like a troll, but Denon no question.

Aug 3, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #3 of 40
Sorry if it sounds trollish just bored and curious :/ haven't heard either brands

Aug 3, 2011 at 1:59 AM Post #4 of 40
Erm...AKG's (other than the K81/518, K181, maybe the portables, and, at a stretch, the K240S) are mostly the antithesis of a bassheavy headphone...

Aug 3, 2011 at 2:54 AM Post #5 of 40

Quote:
I was just curious on which headphones are better on the low end frequency chart. I Didn't want to double post but this goes for IEM and over ear.

Hey there! Welcome to head-fi. A price range that you're looking at will really help. The high end AKGs most people will say are "bass light" to the point "some" would say it's unbearably light on bass. However, on the lower price end AKGs can have very bass heavy sound. So you see, price range is key  
biggrin.gif

Aug 3, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #6 of 40

Quote:
Hey there! Welcome to head-fi. A price range that you're looking at will really help. The high end AKGs most people will say are "bass light" to the point "some" would say it's unbearably light on bass. However, on the lower price end AKGs can have very bass heavy sound. So you see, price range is key  
biggrin.gif

Thanks!

Jun 12, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #8 of 40
I love reading posts on this website because i can't help but feel like every person thinks they know everything about headphones because they spent a month reading posts on this website.  Thing is most of those posts are from people who did the same thing.  They spent a month reading and then bought a pair of headphones and think they are professionals.  I have come to find this website to be a joke after reading sooooo many reviews about the D2000 and then being as let down as i am.  

Jun 12, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #9 of 40
I know what you mean. I also know that I know nothing about headphones/audio gear because I've only heard a couple different amp/DACs and only my current set of headphones.

This is why I will usually mention disclaimers in my posts or private messages. I will often say things like "This amp is a tad on the dark/warm side (or so claimed by people who like to throw around these terms)" or "The popular consensus here seems to be that this amp has great synergy with those headphones."

Quote:
I love reading posts on this website because i can't help but feel like every person thinks they know everything about headphones because they spent a month reading posts on this website.  Thing is most of those posts are from people who did the same thing.  They spent a month reading and then bought a pair of headphones and think they are professionals.  I have come to find this website to be a joke after reading sooooo many reviews about the D2000 and then being as let down as i am.  

Jun 12, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #11 of 40
uhm when modded the mids are so recessed and echoey it's ridiculous.  Because the stuffed pads pull the driver away from your ears and allows less confinement, the mids are separated from the rest of the frequency and you can truly see the true colors of this headphone.  
The echoey i believe is coming from the Asgard as i don't think they have good impedance matching.Well, basically, some of the energy being transferred from source to destination is reflected back from the destination (or wherever there is an impedance mismatch in the connecting circuit) towards the source — not a good thing, in general. Theoretically such reflections could manifest as echoes, or cause signals at certain frequencies to be reduced through cancellation. The telephone industry discovered the practical ramifications of impedance matching almost a hundred years ago. The wavelength of an audio-frequency signal travelling down a cable as an alternating voltage can be anything from 15000km at 20Hz to about 15km at 20kHz (wavelength reduces as signal frequency increases), so telephone cables used to carry conversations between people living in different cities can be considered to be of significant length compared to the wavelength of the signals they carry.
Maybe that's my problem.
But yes the mids on my d2000 are very very recessed.  Not as bad before i modded them but even then they were completely unbearable.

Jun 12, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #12 of 40
btw i was not speaking of anyone in general.  I just happened to see one post from i don't know who or what it even said that made me a little tempered

Jun 12, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #13 of 40
Btw i don't think that the Denon's have as much bass as people say quantity wise.  I think it is just the right amount and but needs to be more controlled.  After modding mine the bass was absolutely a on a totally different playing field.  It had it's own space and just tighted right up and was no longer blooming over everything else

Jun 12, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #14 of 40
I don't know what mod you had done to your D2000 but I'm sorry to hear that its mids became even more recessed.  I agree on their bass quantity being the right amount but not very controlled.  The Denon bass isn't as much in quantity as other headphones specifically voiced to give bass, but it extends very deep in a linear fashion and has good impact as well.  Sadly it decays slow and can run into the mids because of it.

Jun 12, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #15 of 40
How does decay interfere with mids and not the initial note. maybe there are a combination of different frequencies that make up a bass note and the softer frequencies leading to to the tighter bass get melted in with the mids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back