AKG or Denon for bass?
Jun 12, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #17 of 40
Just like every other frequency does. If a certain frequency decays too long then it will muddy the sound up. The snappier and more detailed headphones have very fast decay-- see 3d waterfall graphs. The damping material most mods for Denon 'phones have helps reduce the decay thus tightening the bass up.

Jun 12, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #18 of 40
Quote:
How does decay interfere with mids and not the initial note. maybe there are a combination of different frequencies that make up a bass note and the softer frequencies leading to to the tighter bass get melted in with the mids.

btw i was not speaking of anyone in general.  I just happened to see one post from i don't know who or what it even said that made me a little tempered

Btw i don't think that the Denon's have as much bass as people say quantity wise.  I think it is just the right amount and but needs to be more controlled.  After modding mine the bass was absolutely a on a totally different playing field.  It had it's own space and just tighted right up and was no longer blooming over everything else

How does decay interfere with mids and not the initial note. maybe there are a combination of different frequencies that make up a bass note and the softer frequencies leading to to the tighter bass get melted in with the mids.

I love reading posts on this website because i can't help but feel like every person thinks they know everything about headphones because they spent a month reading posts on this website.  Thing is most of those posts are from people who did the same thing. 

Fair questions and comments. 

I replaced the rubber adhesive disc (on the inside of the D2000 cups) with a piece of Dynamat, the same size and diameter. The Dynamat is thinner, so there is more room in the cup and the sound does not reflect back to the same degree. I still find that the D2000 sounds a bit too clean and smooth, or rather makes all recordings sound clean and smooth. I enjoy at first then have to switch to another headphone eventually because it is just too nice to be believed.

Jun 13, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #19 of 40
I personally found the denon to be unbearable.  There was to much feedback from the cups and it added a certain timbre to the headphone that was neat but not natural.  Once i took the cups off i found the sound to be waaaaay to thin and had absolutely no body to it.  I tried the openback denon mod that a poster had made a thread about, that also implied adding velcro in between the plastic ring of the pads and the headphone.  between the two mods i found the headphone to open up a bit but it didn't sound like a headphone at all to me.  more like a loud speaker with a really unnatural and thin sound.
By clean do you mean they were really good at detail retrieval?  I think i know what you mean with the clean and smooth. If i'm not picking the headphones sound signature apart and i'm just relaxing then they are kind of clean but the sound seamed very confined.  after the mod it has opened up a little bit more with the stuffed earpads.  The sound is still quite small though compared to my hd598's

Jun 13, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #20 of 40
btw that's not a bad idea to replace that disc as it is quite thick. probably a quarter inch or so.

Jun 13, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #21 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctaCosmos /img/forum/go_quote.gif

By clean do you mean they were really good at detail retrieval?  I think i know what you mean with the clean and smooth. If i'm not picking the headphones sound signature apart and i'm just relaxing then they are kind of clean but the sound seamed very confined.  

You hit it, accidently. The sound is too seamless, it's sort of like the equivalent of putting gravy on meat or cheese sauce on broccoli. It just "nicens" everything to a suspicious degree. I find this a common occurrence with headphones that have soft, leather pads. I think they soak up a lot of excess but makes the whole thing rather bland.

Interesting how the Denon "solves" all the problems of grain, distortion, harshness. Then one realizes that solving the problem is also a problem.

Jun 13, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #22 of 40
Their main drawback imo is a plasticy, tinny metalic-- whatever you want to call it, off-timbre treble.  I'm not sure if that's due to the way their sound interacts with the cups and if a mod fixes that or not.

Jun 13, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #23 of 40
I really don't know to much about treble in terms of timbre.  I do know that i absolutely love how energetic and crystally the highs on the hd598 are

Jun 13, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #24 of 40
Quote:
...i can't help but feel like every person thinks they know everything about headphones because they spent a month reading posts on this website.  Thing is most of those posts are from people who did the same thing.  They spent a month reading and then bought a pair of headphones and think they are professionals...

My apologies for going off topic, but could we please refine this statement and paste it to the first post of every recommendation thread on this forum?  That, or a simple "if you haven't heard it, don't comment on it" would suffice.  Then again, we have others that have made a habit of listening to a piece of kit for less than a minute and feel the need to share their opinions so...?

Jun 15, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #25 of 40
Just wanted everyone to know that the Schiit asgard does not pair with the Denon ahd2000 and probably not the other ahd models.  I switched the analog out from my Dac*it and ran them to my mixamp instead of the asgard and the sound was a lot less. One thing that did happen for the better was the mids no longer sound echoey and recessed.  The Asgard definitely would be a keeper if it hadn't ruined the mids

Jun 15, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #26 of 40
I can't say anything about the D2000, but I don't agree with your findings with my Asgard and D5000 with J$ pads.  The output impedance of the Asgard is very low, and I can't see how this amp would have such a drastic impact on your sound quality unless something in the loop is not working properly.  I would think that your opinion on this amp's pairing with the Denon Dxxxx line of headphones is much different than what the overwhelming majority of listeners have discovered, unless everyone with a similar experience has just kept quiet about the matter.

I have other headphone amps in the same price range to make comparisons, and the Asgard is a great match for my Denon D5000. 

Jun 16, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #27 of 40
well i'm glad about your findings.  i never said anything about the d5000 even though they use the same driver.  Maybe it's the better cord...i don't know.  What i'm hearing is definitely so obvious that ANY person would be able to hear.  It's Sooooooo noticeable.  
I like how you put the overwhelming majority of listeners, as if you were calling me out. i'll be a big guy here and just ignore it though.
My denon's also have dampening inside.  I don't think that is the cause though because while the asgard does sound good minus my what i am hearing from vocals mainly, i do not get the effect when paired with my other amp.
Thanks for making what was hopefully going to be a good day become a bad one. 

Jun 16, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #28 of 40
I apologize for somehow ruining your day.  You claimed that the Asgard amp was not good with your D2000 and probably not the other Denon's in the family.   It's just an amp, and should not drastically color the sound and affect the mid-frequency range as much as you claim it does.  I can't find any other credible write-ups making such a claim about the mids being "ruined" on the D2000 from use of the Asgard amplifier.   Maybe your other amp is bringing out the mids, and when you listen through the Asgard you can notice a huge difference?  I just can't imagine that the Asgard is the problem if it is functioning properly.

You are on a public forum about headphones and associated equipment.  You made a claim, and I believe that I am being civil and simply disputing your allegation.  I have not experienced what you are asserting, and I can't find a way to justify your findings from a technical perspective.

Jun 16, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #29 of 40
I was reading and eventually TL;DR but DoctaCosmos your one of the few, there has been the odd occasion where people who wanted serious bass heavy bough the D2000 and were let down. **** happens.

But compared to an audiophile perspective where balance is key, the D2k are still way bass heavy, but at the lower end of the bass heavy cans. But it should be expected considering there level of clarity.

As for the mids, think what you want. The d7k mids annoy me, but its far from unbearable and the D2k may have been slightly recessed but it still had a forward sound (forward and recessed can be applied descriptively simultaneously albeit carefully.)

I think you expected too much for what you paid.

Your entitled to your opinion but dont go on a crusade against a good headphone. 

Jun 16, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #30 of 40
When I was just starting Head-Fi in 08 I had already had years and years of happy listening just matching stuff up with luck. I thought all headphones went with all amps well as I had always had great results.

I purchased some super hard to drive K701s with a Woo3 amp made for high impedance headphones. You can imagine the results. So I moved on buying more equipment and in the end really ended up with a couple rigs. I think it is part of the learning curve around here. ( unless you just go to Head-Fi shows and mimic set-ups.)

There is also the effect of getting used to a new sound signature. Many don't realize how listening to a set-up for three weeks straight can change your perception of sound signature. Plus everyone has their own idea of music sounding correct along with a handful of genres which all have a basic sound signature they are best in.

I love the Denon house sound, but I also found it could be changed drastically with a slow fold-in of ancillary equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back