AKG or Bose?
Feb 9, 2012 at 11:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

MrAwesome

New Head-Fier
[size=small]I like to listen to Rock, Hard Rock, Rock n Roll, Classic Rock, Pop-Rock, Orchestral band instrumental, Jazz, Blues. I Basically like 60's-70's music and pop stuff[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]Top bands I listen too [/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]The Beatles[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small]Led Zeppelin[/size]
[size=small]Wings[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small]The Who[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small]Queen[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]On too the question I have a budget of $300. Based off what I listen too, I like listening for clearness, and details of the music. How the songs were intended to be herd. I also DISLIKE music leakage (I like to put my music in a fairly high level when I jam [/size]
scaled.php
[size=small]) and I don't want others listening in too my music, I also don't hearing other noises (e.g plane noise, train rail noise, city noise, car noise etc) So I want a fairly good noise Cancellation, with minimum to no music leakage. Yet I want a clear, on the detail, but still in your face kind of sound! I came too the conclusion of two head sets [/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]QuietComfort 15 Acoustic Noise Cancelling headphones[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]AKG K701 headphones[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]I went to the bose store in my local mall, and tried out the Bose headphones with my IPod, it does cancel out the unwanted noise, and prevent the music leakage, but it has a really soft or quite sound to some of the songs on my Ipod even when I blast it :/ I also herd negative feed back about the sound of it, and its not worth the money. I'm native when it comes to headphones so I know the AKG needs like a pre-amp to power it up. which one is worth my money? please help[/size]

Feb 9, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #3 of 20
The K701's are open, meaning they offer no isolation and leak sound, and probably can't be driven too well off an ipod. 

No one here will tell you to buy Bose.

Maybe the Shure SRH 940?  They're a closed set for about $300 with a lot of detail, but more treble/less bass than some prefer.

Would you be opposed to in-ear headphones? 

Feb 10, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #4 of 20
Might I suggest getting the Fostex T50RP since they are closed somewhat, and spend the rest of the money (200 bucks) on a decent headphone amp. You might want to consider a tube headphone amp if you will be listening at home. Stay away from noise cancelling headphones, and wireless, if you want your music to sound good. There is a whole community of Fostex modders here. I have never found a good Bose anything. But the radio is decent, and too expensive. Stay away from the dreaded Dr. Dre Beats headphones. If you want a great all around headphone that is portable, look into the Koss Portapro for 50 bucks. I love these to death, and they blow away most other 200 dollar phones like the Marleys and other popular trendy phones.   

Feb 10, 2012 at 3:59 AM Post #6 of 20

Quote:
You should try the Grados...

This is a terrible recommendation, because:

Quote:
[size=small]I also DISLIKE music leakage (I like to put my music in a fairly high level when I jam [/size]
scaled.php
[size=small]) and I don't want others listening in too my music, I also don't hearing other noises (e.g plane noise, train rail noise, city noise, car noise etc) So I want a fairly good noise Cancellation, with minimum to no music leakage. [/size]

Feb 10, 2012 at 4:31 AM Post #7 of 20
i would look at sony MDv6/mdr7506 and sennheiser hd280s.  those are two great closed back headphones.  The sennheisers have better bass, but the sonys are more comfortable and have a slightly more pleasing top end i find.

Feb 10, 2012 at 8:09 AM Post #8 of 20
Hi,
You need to buy a closed headphone or noise cancelling headphone...
You can try the Ultrasone PRO750 or PRO900 ! It's good for your music :)
Or the Sennheiser HD25-1 II or DT770 or DT1350... good closed headphone

If you have an IPOD, it's better to use the lineout with a LOD cable and a little amp like FIIO E11.

Feb 16, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #14 of 20
V-moda M80 or LP2?

Aug 20, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #15 of 20
you literally couldn't pick two different circumaural headphones if you wanted to. 

The akg k550 is similar to the k701, with decent isolation and leakage properties to what you are looking for.

There's plenty of closed headphones that isolate well and don't leak out there- a bit of reasearch along this line will help. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back