AKG new headphone K545?
Jul 2, 2013 at 2:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1,753

bourdieu

New Head-Fier
Jul 2, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #2 of 1,753
Quote:
I am not sure if it is the problem with the image or what, it seems to has a smaller earpad than the K550 and K551. Do you think it is a portable version of the K550/551?

It sure looks that way. Maybe a "gentleman's portable" à la P5 and Momentum. Given that AKG already have the Tiësto line for big bass, could it be we'll finally have a proper good sounding, "neutralish" top end portable?

Jul 2, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #4 of 1,753
Quote:
Who the hell thought that gold would be a good idea??!!

This is the reason why humanity is doomed!

I think it will probably be referred to as 'copper' rather than gold. 
But doomed indeed. 

With any luck they'll produce various colours like the K500/501 or Senn Momentum etc, because then it has potential to look great.

Jul 2, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #5 of 1,753
I think they look pretty good, and I'd like to give them a listen.
I didn't like the K550's - perhaps these are better as a 'second generation' -
or was that the K551?  I guess these are 'third generation'. 

Silver or copper, either way as long as they sound good.

Jul 2, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #6 of 1,753

Quote:
It sure looks that way. Maybe a "gentleman's portable" à la P5 and Momentum. Given that AKG already have the Tiësto line for big bass, could it be we'll finally have a proper good sounding, "neutralish" top end portable?

I hope what you said will come true. I like the K550, but they are too big for portable use. This one seems to have a much reduced earpad, though I still find it a bit big yet it's hard to tell from the image.

Quote:
Who the hell thought that gold would be a good idea??!!

This is the reason why humanity is doomed!

I am not a fan of that as well.... reminds me of Klipsch. Just hope they are not offering this colour only.

Jul 2, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #8 of 1,753
It looks like this is a good refinement of the K550 design, adding a replaceable cable (my main complaint) and changing the headband padding & earpads, to hopefully address the comfort/fit issues of the K550.

I wish AKG would stop with the ridiculous color schemes they are using these days though. They nailed it with the K550 design, started using ugly high contrast two-tone designs on the K551 and now this.

Jul 3, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #12 of 1,753
Quote:
I assumed they had, since they replace the K181. If they don't, disregard my post.

I actually don't know either, as I've only heard the K167. The K267 may have much more bass.

Anyway, I've found something interesting as I've kept digging. It seems a firm called Designit has been designing AKG/Harman's most recent offerings, including the K3003 and K550:
http://designit.com/cases/hearing-it-right
http://designit.com/cases/designing-the-worlds-most-advanced-earphones

It seems a bit odd because they seem to be doing more than just cosmetics. Could it be that AKG/Harman's passed on product development to a third party like these guys?

Jul 3, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #13 of 1,753
Quote:

I actually don't know either, as I've only heard the K167. The K267 may have much more bass.

Anyway, I've found something interesting as I've kept digging. It seems a firm called Designit has been designing AKG/Harman's most recent offerings, including the K3003 and K550:
http://designit.com/cases/hearing-it-right
http://designit.com/cases/designing-the-worlds-most-advanced-earphones

It seems a bit odd because they seem to be doing more than just cosmetics. Could it be that AKG/Harman's passed on product development to a third party like these guys?

Going by the information especially regarding the K3003, it seems AKG/Harman didn't have the material/tooling tech to do it alone, and needed specialized equipment/tooling to do it properly.
That would help explain the final price.

Sep 7, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #15 of 1,753

Users who are viewing this thread

Back