AKG new headphone K545?
Apr 11, 2017 at 1:29 AM Post #1,726 of 1,753
for ****s and giggles, I figured I try my hm5 pads on the k545. But I put mine on a little differently, I actually put the entire pad lip around the driver housing! I can't tell you how much the comfort has improved. Does the lip furl up a tiny bit? yes, but honestly it doesn't look too bad at all. The best part? OMG THE BASS, the seal is soo unreal that the sound is equally as unreal. The soundstage somehow increased and the isolation didn't both my buddy who sat next to me on the crowded NJ Transit ride back from the city. No more figiting to get the perfect seal that only gets unbroken after I move my eyebrows. No more ear pinch or even ear touching. The sound is actually improved, and this is after I was dissapointed in the pads for dismantling the sound of my m50x... I didn't have much expectations and i planned on getting my 25 bucks back. In one day, it's turned into maybe the best 25 bucks Ive spent in recent weeks. 

Apr 17, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #1,729 of 1,753
Should I get the K545? I already have a pair of Sony MDR-V6. Having said that I still love fun, slightly V-shaped sound signatures. Thanks!

Apr 18, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #1,730 of 1,753
for ****s and giggles, I figured I try my hm5 pads on the k545. But I put mine on a little differently, I actually put the entire pad lip around the driver housing! I can't tell you how much the comfort has improved. Does the lip furl up a tiny bit? yes, but honestly it doesn't look too bad at all. The best part? OMG THE BASS, the seal is soo unreal that the sound is equally as unreal. The soundstage somehow increased and the isolation didn't both my buddy who sat next to me on the crowded NJ Transit ride back from the city. No more figiting to get the perfect seal that only gets unbroken after I move my eyebrows. No more ear pinch or even ear touching. The sound is actually improved, and this is after I was dissapointed in the pads for dismantling the sound of my m50x... I didn't have much expectations and i planned on getting my 25 bucks back. In one day, it's turned into maybe the best 25 bucks Ive spent in recent weeks. 

Thanks for that. Just ordered a pair of white hm5s for my white 545s

Apr 18, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #1,731 of 1,753
Should I get the K545? I already have a pair of Sony MDR-V6. Having said that I still love fun, slightly V-shaped sound signatures. Thanks!

The Sony mdr-v6 is really only good for studio use and mixing. Any 'music' headphones will make music sound much better. That said, the akg k545s don't sound v shaped to me at all. It actually sounds a bit lacking in the bass department.

Apr 19, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #1,732 of 1,753
I have to warn you, if you look at the particular HM5 pads that I got, the back side of the pads that secure onto the driver is black, not dark red. When ordering the white pads, the pack part of the pads are white... so it might look out of place.

Apr 19, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #1,733 of 1,753

I have attached a pic of the pad properly attached to the cup in the same manner the stock ones are. I used the notch to fit the lip and just spun them till they were securely on. They sounded pretty good too, but i felt that they looked alittle off. with the lip completely over the driver housing, and since the lip itself is a matching color to the black of the driver, I felt the oval shape was hidden better in the first pic, where in the one I attached here, you can see there's these love handles from the flabby lips when attaching them in the stock manner. I think they still look ok. 

I still like the fact that the oval shape of these pads help fill the void left between the arm and the pad. with the stock smaller pads, there was this void left from the top of the ear to the swivel bend and it looks strange on the head, like as if a thin robot arm was attaching an earcup to ur head. with the longer oval pad, the space is filled and looks like a headphone instead of a robot hugging my face. 

Sep 30, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #1,734 of 1,753
I am a woman who often finds that the ear cups on full sized headphones are too big. They tend to clamp on my neck, jaws, and cheeks. I'm interested in trying these because their portable nature might make them small enough. I like the reports that they don't clamp well. That means even if the ear cups are too big, at least they won't clamp hard on the wrong spots. Can anyone vouch for this, or recommend something else with good clarity and small cup? If not, maybe I'll look for on ears.

Sep 30, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #1,735 of 1,753
I am a woman who often finds that the ear cups on full sized headphones are too big. They tend to clamp on my neck, jaws, and cheeks. I'm interested in trying these because their portable nature might make them small enough. I like the reports that they don't clamp well. That means even if the ear cups are too big, at least they won't clamp hard on the wrong spots. Can anyone vouch for this, or recommend something else with good clarity and small cup? If not, maybe I'll look for on ears.
Yes. These are a smaller version of the K550 with slightly smaller ear cups and a low clamping force. They are comfortable headphones with a nice sound and are easy to drive. The cups swivel for easy storage.

Oct 2, 2017 at 9:03 AM Post #1,736 of 1,753

Just to remember K545 are much more V shape and bassier cans. Really nice bass with big impact.
Check new Sennheiser Hd 4.30, Takstar pro82 or Creative aurvana live.
Pro82 will be over ear
Hd4.30 on ear
Creative aurvaba live - depends, for me its over ear - usuall men's head.

Nov 10, 2019 at 3:24 PM Post #1,740 of 1,753
The sub bass on em is seal dependent so to me they don't sound nearly as overbearing as that. I don't really hear that dip at 4k and was surprised to see it measure that way, strangely. But if and only if you're a fan of Harman turned stuff that's one of the best options right now. Of course it's not as strange and wacky voiced as a K553, which I also own, with its unnecessarily forward upper mids and mid treble peak and even more seal dependent bass. What I do think for sure though is I can't see a reason to choose an M50x over the 371 now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back